4th WAI FB group empty

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MrBlizzard

4th WAI FB group empty

Post by MrBlizzard »

Hi all,
my 4th italian co-belligerant group arrived last turn, and it's still empty after a turn
It should get airacobra planes, there are 81 in pool.
any idea?
thanks

Attachments
WITWP39qWAI.jpg
WITWP39qWAI.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Blizzard
loki100

RE: 4th WAI FB group empty

Post by loki100 »

This happens in the Campaign too.

Never been sure why but you need to swap them to something else then they behave like a normal air unit. I'll often give them the LF Spitfire version as you usually have a lot hanging around as the IX (may have the wrong number) variant is not that good. Kittyhawks are another useful swap route.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: loki100

This happens in the Campaign too.

Never been sure why but you need to swap them to something else then they behave like a normal air unit. I'll often give them the LF Spitfire version as you usually have a lot hanging around as the IX (may have the wrong number) variant is not that good. Kittyhawks are another useful swap route.

Thanks, Could be because P-39 are american planes and the group accepts just commonwealth ones.
After selecting another model P-39s disappear form the list and can never be choose again.
In my scenario, british pools are quite empty, I can't fill this group with spitfires or others

Attachments
WITWP39qWAIbis.jpg
WITWP39qWAIbis.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Blizzard
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I have noticed that occasionally a beat up or empty group will not seem to receive planes. And I usually leave the groups on AUTO, and they don't switch out to another type.

I havent tried seeing if it is a bug, because I don't know enough about the mechanics...I thought there might be a 'admin' roll with the Luftwaffe commander. Or perhaps not enough freight if it uses freight to move planes around like it does elements for a division.

But like Loki says..I can usually 'kickstart' the unit by manually changing the plane type. Even if the type is not that plentiful, it will change the '0' to something positive. Then I can leave the group on 'AUTO' to do it's own thing.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

I switched manually to spitfire VC and the unit became a wing (48 max instead than 75 max of an american group).
P39Qs disappeared from the list of eligible planes.
IMHO is a small bug. Nothing serious.
Blizzard
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Unit may need to start with P-39 on hand, all WAI air units seem oversized using the allied system.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Unit may need to start with P-39 on hand, all WAI air units seem oversized using the allied system.

I agree, I tried to change the 4th WAI group with editor and I put P-39 from start, it seems to work.
in my book "l'aviazione italiana by mirko molteni" it says that 4th stormo of aereonautica cobelligerante was given 149 P39Q and N.
And 4th stormo gave back their Macchi (folgore and Veltro) to the 5th stormo

Attachments
witw WAI airacobra.jpg
witw WAI airacobra.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Blizzard
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

And it seems the size of the group depends from the plane nationality,
i gave 51th group (it should be 5th stormo, not 51, I believe) the veltro planes. it resized automatically to 40 planes

nice WAI veltro planes

Attachments
witwWAIveltro.jpg
witwWAIveltro.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Blizzard
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

By the way in the mentioned book it says that WAI aircrafts weren't used in Italy, but in Balkans.
they operated from south italy bases but were exclusively employed in missions over jugoslavia; so i wonder if they shouldn't appear at all in this scenery [:)]
Blizzard
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I tend to remove all current WAI air units and replace them with four naval patrol groups, operating italian float planes over the med and adria. All other units operated in Balkans (Greece/Albania/YUG), supporting partisans and italian units vs germany.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”