Harpoon Classic & others DOS versions

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
britten

Harpoon Classic & others DOS versions

Post by britten »

I'm in a sentimental mood lately so I would like to play the Dos Harpoon Classic from 90s era. I know it's been included in Ultimate Edition super-pack (which I should finally get soon). I wonder, does 1.5 version, available in the box, require installed DosBox to play (so only game files are included) or all those games are already prepared to run on modern comupters?
stilesw

RE: 1989 DOS version

Post by stilesw »

britten,

Since Windows 7 the old DOSBox version 0.74 has not been reliable. However, with Windows 10, I've had good success with some of the DOSBox versions referenced here:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... MW1wcKkGXA

To my knowledge, DOSBox is probably the best way to run the original Harpoon versions on current systems.

Of course if you only have origianl 5.25" floppy disks (or even 3.5" FDDS) you may have a problem using them unless you have an older PC with one of those floppy disk drives networked. That's how I am still able to run some of the old MicroProse games. The graphics are not stellar though.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Thank you Wayne, I was struggling to fully understand the question. Britten, you have no way out of the box of running WinHarp 1.62B GE nor SEs from 1.62B thru HC Gold 2003.16b3 since they are 16-bit Windows applications (assuming you are running a 64-bit version of Windows).

I don't dig out the old versions often but a quick attempt with the DOSBox bundled (0.73) runs fine here with Harpoon 1.58E GE (Game Engine) on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The Ultimate Edition installer puts the game files on your drive as well as DOSBox so if you have a machine that can run the old DOS builds natively, the files are available to you. If you happen to have Windows 10 32-bit I imagine you can probably run them directly with that, for 64-bit Windows 10 you need some manner of virtual machine such as DOSBox.

Wayne, what does "not been reliable" mean for you in terms of these games?

You all want to play the current build anyway right? :) http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... ent-files/
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
britten

Post by britten »

ORIGINAL: TonyE
The Ultimate Edition installer puts the game files on your drive as well as DOSBox...
Thank you and sorry for creating confusion. I think that quoted text answers my question which was - do I have to install and configure DosBox manually to run Harpoon Classic 94' from Ultimate Edition or maybe the HC94' version already comes with configured DosBox instance?

I use 64-bit Windows 7.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

I'm understanding better now, thanks!

DOSBox 0.73 comes configured as part of the Ultimate Edition package.

I wrote a launcher program HC20Run.exe that looks like the attached.

Attachments
HC20Run.jpg
HC20Run.jpg (250.61 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

You click on the version you want to run and it shows a sub-menu of components you may be able to run on your computer.
(note PE, OW, SC are greyed out, in this case meaning they didn't exist for that version, in other cases it will mean your computer just can't run them).

Attachments
HC20RunComponents.jpg
HC20RunComponents.jpg (270.32 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Clicking on the component, such as 1.58E Game Engine in this case will launch DOSBox right into the game with what may or may not be reasonable defaults for your setup. If they aren't reasonable, let us know and we'll help. Often it is changing settings to get a more optimal resolution.

Attachments
HC158EGE.jpg
HC158EGE.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Wayne, what does "not been reliable" mean for you in terms of these games?

Tony,

Actually, for Windows 10, I should have said "not at all" for the original version 0.74 DosBox located at https://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1.

That's why I referenced the "SVN" implementations for which there are many sites available.

-Wayne
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

britten

Post by britten »

TonyE - for excellent help! [&o]
Now I just need to wait a few days for my paycheque so I'll be able to fire Harpoon once again...after more than 20 years!
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: britten

TonyE - for excellent help! [&o]
Now I just need to wait a few days for my paycheque so I'll be able to fire Harpoon once again...after more than 20 years!

Hehe, looking forward to hearing about your exploits. If you don't need to edit scenarios right away or modify the database you can give the demo a try, http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... available/
There is enough gameplay there to keep you busy for quite a while.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Tony,

I found and downloaded your launcher program sometime ago. Good work.

-Wayne

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”