NORDIC CHANNEL: Orm and Mayhemizer

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: NORDIC CHANNEL: Orm and Mayhemizer

Post by Orm »

Just the high possibility of overrunning a enemy HQI makes the effort worth it. In my humble opinion, that is.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

How do I overrun that HQ? AMR, MOT and ARM div all doubled?
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

How do I overrun that HQ? AMR, MOT and ARM div all doubled?
ARM (8), MOT (8), and AA (3), all doubled makes 38:4 and that is more than the 9:1 needed to overrun the HQ in snow.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

The first attack is automatic as well unless France succeeds with defensive HQ support, or gets defensive air through. Although that is before German air is added. Haven't counted on offensive air yet.
Mayhemizer_slith

Germany can also attack Lille so that France might want to send air units there too. If Gernany loses INF div there, no big deal.

-Murphy's war law
Orm

Post by Orm »

Germany can also attack Lille so that France might want to send air units there too. If Gernany loses INF div there, no big deal.
With 4 or 5 units doubled for attacking the ART hex (54, 31) and 3 doubles saved for the overrun, the odds will be rather low on Lille. Perhaps only 1:1 and then 3 losses can be taken.

Maybe a ground strike on the two hexes adjacent to the attack? To make it harder to reorganize their lines if the attack succeeds. And this might use up a French fighter. Although Germany is light on aircraft.

Also, perhaps Germany should save the reorganization capability to reorganize aircraft instead of land units disorganized after a low odds attack.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Nord 1:

Well done with the ground strike.

Thank you. [:)]
Mayhemizer_slith

Nord 1

No problem [;)]

About China, this is what I meant. I think the most secure option. If there is only one unit in east of Ankang Japs may win that attack. And if Japs hit OOS 5-3 INF Sian is in danger.

Attachments
3China.jpg
3China.jpg (263.23 KiB) Viewed 151 times

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

Nord 2

So this is how I planned to do it (not all German units are moved, only those needed for attack):

1) Germany ground strikes 3 hexes, any hits means lower risk of counter attack and almost certain death for those units if others retreat towards Paris.

2) Attack is 74:7.

3) MECH, MOT and ARM div breaks through from forest. They get disorganized during overrun.

4) AA gun can be used against French ground support (There is 9-4 INF with AA gun).

5) All units involved to attack are in range of Rundstedt for reorg.

What do you think?

Edit: I can also leave 9-4 INF to SW of Brussels and place ARM with AA gun.

Attachments
4Plan.jpg
4Plan.jpg (396.04 KiB) Viewed 151 times

-Murphy's war law
Orm

Post by Orm »

1) The nationalist SE of Sian would be in supply from Ankang if one unit is moved to the empty hex in between.

2) I do not mind if Japan attacks in the mountains that much. Well, I do mind. But if Japan is to fight, and attack, anywhere, then I want it to be in mountains that go nowhere and we have plenty of units.

3) I do not mind Japan attacking single stacks and we can select assault and the odds doesn't get to high. We risk one unit and Japan risk two, and might become disorganized. And China gains production.

4) If we close the mountains. Where will Japan shift their focus for the summer?

5) I do not mind Japan attacking East of Angkang with my suggestion. I think I put a easily rebuilt Chungking MIL there. Although I think it would be wise to put the Warlord there so that the supply doesn't get cut.

6) We don't give up the front mountain hex that the Communist is in. I rather fight for that hex.

7) At this point I am not all that fond of double stacks. Increase the defence but at the same time it increase the risk that we lose two land units in the same combat.

All in all I think we are good if Japan does 3:1, or even 4:1 attacks in the mountains. Unless we are unlucky, but then it doesn't matter much what we do.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I am not sure that the breakthrough units needs to become disorganized.

I'll check rules and map. Back in a few minutes.

Edit: Never mind that. I remembered the map wrongly. [:D]
Mayhemizer_slith

ORIGINAL: Orm

I tested it, they got disorganized. No matter from wich hex they started overrun.

-Murphy's war law
Orm

Post by Orm »

Nord 2

So this is how I planned to do it (not all German units are moved, only those needed for attack):

1) Germany ground strikes 3 hexes, any hits means lower risk of counter attack and almost certain death for those units if others retreat towards Paris.

2) Attack is 74:7.

3) MECH, MOT and ARM div breaks through from forest. They get disorganized during overrun.

4) AA gun can be used against French ground support (There is 9-4 INF with AA gun).

5) All units involved to attack are in range of Rundstedt for reorg.

What do you think?

Edit: I can also leave 9-4 INF to SW of Brussels and place ARM with AA gun.

Seems like a plan. [:)]

Nice that the initial odds is so high that successful HQ support might not matter.

The 9-4 INF looks better SW of Brussels. Although I might have left it in the forest hex instead, and leave the hex XW of Brussels empty.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I tested it, they got disorganized. No matter from wich hex they started overrun.
Yes, they need to follow the railroad to avoid that.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Anyway. I am going to retire for the night. You are the man, in both games, so you do as you think best. [:)] If you need to move any Communist Chinese, then just remove as many Soviet moves, from the bottom, as needed.

Have a good night.
Mayhemizer_slith

Anyway. I am going to retire for the night. You are the man, in both games, so you do as you think best. [:)] If you need to move any Communist Chinese, then just remove as many Soviet moves, from the bottom, as needed.

Have a good night.
We can do as you suggested, I’m just worried Japs will attack 4 strength Nationalist unit break the line.

-Murphy's war law
Orm

Post by Orm »

Have a good night.
We can do as you suggested, I’m just worried Japs will attack 4 strength Nationalist unit break the line.
Understandable. I suppose that it would be a 4:1 assault. Perhaps even a 5:1. Double stacking make it perhaps 2:1 instead. Although a successful ground strike and +1 modifier is more likely when we double stack. I am more worried that double stacking will shift the Japanese focus North and that a low odds attack eliminates a stack. Or even outmanoeuvres the Communists. I prefer Japan attacking in the Angkang mountains rather than along the Sian railway. Although a collapse in the mountains has risks as well.

Anyway. I think both approaches has merits, and that we will suffer during the summer no matter what we do. And a couple of good die rolls from Japan can make the Chinese front collapse.

So select one approach and I will support it. [:)] [&o]
Mayhemizer_slith

I go Nord 1 as you suggested.

Can you start Nord 2 and I continue from German land moves? I will post instructions in a minute (3 ground strikes, 1 rail move).

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

Nord 2

Germany land, O-Chit used on Rundstedt

German ground strikes
Stuka from Rotterdam hits 53,30 (SE of Lille) and lands to Brussels. (if intercepted, use Bf109 from Antwerp and land it one hex SW of Antwerp 52,31)

He111 from Liege hits 55,31 (HQ Billotte) and lands to SE of Brussles 53,32 (if intercepted, use Bf109 from 54,33 and land it to same hex)

Ju88 from Cologne hits 55,22 (GAR and AT gun) and lands to Liege (if intercepted, it can handle any situation alone, no fighters needed)

Rail move
INF from Breslau to Rotterdam.

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

Nord 1

All French land moves made sense, France has now good front line.

One move was wrong:
12) Pretelat -> 55, 31
From picture I saw you wanted it to 55,30 so all good now [:)]

-Murphy's war law

Return to “After Action Report”