OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Will_L

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Will_L »

File this one under Just Desserts...
My niece-in-law works for the Foreign Ministry in El Salvador and has been assigned to their Consulate in San Francisco for
around 10 years. She's always been the kind of person that takes advantage of things and not in a good way. Over the last
couple of years she's been leaving her job early, leaving things undone or foisting them off on her subordinates and now that
has come back to bite her.

She was reviewed and found lacking and is being transferred to a s**thole outpost in Tenosique, Mexico.
Basically the equivalent of being transferred to Alaska from a plum location for the US Armed Forces. Tenosique is
the closest "city" to a Mexican-Guatemalan border crossing that is highly popular with people smuggling "coyotes".
The railroad that runs from Tenosique to Vera Cruz (which was trashed by Hurricane Mitch and no longer functions)
is the preferred travel route away from the border area. She'll be providing support for those migrants that are
from El Salvador, Tenosique is also notorious for its anti-migrant sentiment so its unlikely to be a pleasant place
for her to be either.

She's due to report June 1st and hasn't left San Francisco yet, I've got a $100 bet with my wife that she resigns rather than
reporting, my wife thinks she'll take a leave of absence and request a transfer somewhere else. I actually feel sympathy for
her even though she truly deserves this.
was Will_L for a while.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Will_L

File this one under Just Desserts...
My niece-in-law works for the Foreign Ministry in El Salvador and has been assigned to their Consulate in San Francisco for
around 10 years. She's always been the kind of person that takes advantage of things and not in a good way. Over the last
couple of years she's been leaving her job early, leaving things undone or foisting them off on her subordinates and now that
has come back to bite her.

She was reviewed and found lacking and is being transferred to a s**thole outpost in Tenosique, Mexico.
Basically the equivalent of being transferred to Alaska from a plum location for the US Armed Forces. Tenosique is
the closest "city" to a Mexican-Guatemalan border crossing that is highly popular with people smuggling "coyotes".
The railroad that runs from Tenosique to Vera Cruz (which was trashed by Hurricane Mitch and no longer functions)
is the preferred travel route away from the border area. She'll be providing support for those migrants that are
from El Salvador, Tenosique is also notorious for its anti-migrant sentiment so its unlikely to be a pleasant place
for her to be either.

She's due to report June 1st and hasn't left San Francisco yet, I've got a $100 bet with my wife that she resigns rather than
reporting, my wife thinks she'll take a leave of absence and request a transfer somewhere else. I actually feel sympathy for
her even though she truly deserves this.
What prompted you to post this here? Unburdening? Seeking advice/supportive comments?
Not trying to be critical, just taken aback by the 'out of the blue' story.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Will_L

Post by Will_L »

A bit of unburdening, a bit of appreciate what you've got because it can be lost easily if you take it for granted.
Advice she ignored, support she declined as well, now the price of pridefulness comes due.
OT Things to Ponder seemed like a good place.
was Will_L for a while.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Will_L

A bit of unburdening, a bit of appreciate what you've got because it can be lost easily if you take it for granted.
Advice she ignored, support she declined as well, now the price of pridefulness comes due.
OT Things to Ponder seemed like a good place.
Yeah, I get your drift. Most of us have some slo-mo train wreck about to happen in our peoplesphere and are helpless to avert the inevitable result.
Karma's really a *itch if you ignore her too long!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Fiat 1100 Boat Car, Carrozzeria Coriasco from 1953

Attachments
Fiat1100..rom1953.jpg
Fiat1100..rom1953.jpg (428.97 KiB) Viewed 64 times

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Trust the Italians to make a sexy objet d'arte out of any kind of vehicle!
johng5155

Post by johng5155 »

Are those headlights or torpedo tubes?
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

If it could only fly! It would have Land, Sea, and Air all covered.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: johng5155

If you call a boat "she", they are headlights. If you call the boat "him" (many countries do), they are covers for his torpedo.
Will_L

Post by Will_L »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: johng5155

If you call a boat "she", they are headlights. If you call the boat "him" (many countries do), they are covers for his torpedo.

A cloaca'd torpedo? Stealthy!
was Will_L for a while.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

ORIGINAL: rustysi

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Look who's all grown up!

And just like her that croc is stuffed!!!![:'(]

"Me and the 250 pound alligator named Casper that I work with at a Florida wildlife rescue."
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... sper_that/

Talk about a 'dead end' job!!![;)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That gator looks very happy.

Yeah, until he isn't, then, lunch!!![:D]

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That gator looks very happy.

I have a don't mess with million year old apex predator policy.[8D]

patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Ditto that. [:-]
Banner designed by rogueusmc
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You know what bunnies keep in their homes to protect their families?

Warren pieces.

Will_L

Post by Will_L »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You know what bunnies keep in their homes to protect their families?

Warren pieces.

I am both horrified and in awe [&o]
was Will_L for a while.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I love it when I elicit a post from someone who almost never posts. Look at me, I've got twelve thousand posts since 2010 and Will has 158 since 2000, which is before the last ice age.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Then you should feel happy, 'cause this elicited me to post. [;)]

Just kidding. I just wanted to say that I got you.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

And how is the birds? Are you supplying them with food and water all year around? We closed the shop for the year.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I keep feeders out all year round, but nearly half of them this time of year are for the hummingbirds. The Downy woodpeckers don't mind that at all, they are adept at slurping up sugar water from the humming bird feeders. On occasion I've thought I'd seen Hairy Woodpeckers at those feeders but I'm not absolutely positive. Probably just Downys. This time of year a major concern for me are the other pollinators. I've got a pretty good crop of milkweed going for the Monarchs, and plenty besides. My backyard and garden are not handled as though there should be perfect lawns there. I like clover because the bees like clover and I promote violets and other things as well. I'm always working on other flowering things as well. I've got a Red Buckeye tree going, which I understand the hummingbirds love, but though it is years old now it has yet to flower. The squirrels keep pruning it, which I suspect is not mere happenstance, but that is a very complicated subject. Once the Red Buckeye is mature it will produce nuts very similar in appearance to chestnuts, and the squirrels should love those. I have blackberry and raspberry plants going but between the birds and the squirrels I don't really get any. I have an old maple tree which I do not wish to hurry to it's end, but once it has I would like to grow four trees. A male and a female Paw-Paw tree, and a male and a female Persimmon tree. Those two species are exclusive as far as sexuality goes, and you need to have one of each to get a good yield. Additionally, having a pair from two different cultivars is supposed to increase yield. In the case of the persimmons, my plan is to have a male of a Japanese cultivar. This allegedly will maximize yield but part of the point is that the Japanese varieties produce really mushy fruits and I don't want that. So a hybrid of a Jap male and a North American female should produce acceptable fruits. Anyways, I'm growing all sorts of other flowering plants to attract and feed butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”