Would Sir like extra bombs with that?

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

loki100

RE: T68

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

You might task heavy and medium bombers with ground attacks on hexes in the "holiday camp" one or two days each week - force the campers to use up supply and ammunition more quickly. You will have to reduce the pocket at some point in order to free up your ground units for the advance to the Alps.

Good advice thank you. There are hexes I really need to clear them out of - such as around Florence and where they have a ZoC on the rails. Ideally I'll see if I can push them into a small enough area that I can then guard just with some regiments and the Italian brigade units that start turning up.

Realistically, if I reach the Alps I'll stop. I can redeploy some of the better units up the Rhone corridor and then they can reinforce the main attack on the Reich. Turin+Milan means a decent haul of city VP and no point spending casualties just in case I might manage to break into Bavaria or Lower Austria?
loki100

T69-T70

Post by loki100 »

T69-T70

T69 was heavy rain in NW Europe. Some small scale action in Italy.

T70 back to light rain so back to using the airforce.

VP situation was favourable but I'd like to get the bombing back to +4

Since Bomber Command didn't get too drunk on their two weeks off, I let them do what they enjoy doing, night and the Ruhr.

My generousity was repaid:

8 AAF remains split into two main groups. The largest set returned to Berlin

The second group is still doing one hex raids on the v-weapons

15 AAF went to Vienna

Noticed during the air resolution that German losses in air-air combat escalated. Looking at it, they really suffered and even their new Bf-109s are of little value now.

On the ground it was a frustrating turn. I need to reduce the Flanders holiday camp so I can push on to the Reich. Unfortunately almost every attack failed.

Italy – am badly stretched. 5A now running into resistance, 7A only able to make a few attacks – but I have pulled units out to refit. 8A is stretched around the holiday camp. I need to reduce some of that but I don't feel any great time pressure here.

loki100

T71

Post by loki100 »

T71

Heavy rain in Italy, light rain in France and Germany.

So rested all the Mediterranean based airforces and in Italy mostly tried to redeploy one corps of 8 Army so I can start to attack the holiday camp. Their defensive cv now looks low and all the counters are red for supply.

I asserted myself with BC and told them to bomb around Hannover in the day – my argument was with short winter days and lots of cloud they won't have to cope with the sun.

Seems to have convinced them to really try this time

Main 8 AAF raid was on Mainz-Frankfurt – should reduce German truck production.

Secondary group still blowing up the v-weapon factories, the small #2 production ones are hard to keep damaged as they repair very quickly.

France

A fresh 1 Ca Army took one port and dismantled the western end of the German defensive line. A new US corps has been added to give it some mobility.

Also reduced some of their stacks on the eastern end of the pocket which handily frees up units to either rest or concentrate for more attacks.

Both 2 Tactical Air and 9 AAF are commited here. The 2 engined bombers are hitting strong stacks (GA-unit), all the FB are on interdiction missions.

Not shown this for a while but when I took Paris and attacked towards Belgium it left a huge long salient. Ok this ties down German units but also costs me counters. Have finally built up 9A enough for it to have some offensive power.

The odd cluster of units down around Belfort were a corps from 5A that moved up the Rhone.

If this works, I may commit 2 Br Army and see if I can hook around towards Luxembourg – gives an easy (sort of) access to the Rhineland.

loki100

T72

Post by loki100 »

T72

Back to light rain so could use the airpower. Again 9AAF and 2 Tactical Air fully committed to targets in the Flanders holiday region. Using 2 engined bombers from both commands to directly strike the stronger stacks, lot of interdiction and a lot allocated to direct GS.

Strategic air was odd. I made the mistake with the large block of 8AAF of putting v-weapons as the priority and picked an area where they were already knocked out. So, for once, the US air didn't really contribute much.

Carried on with aversion therapy for BC, made them go out during the day but assured them that the short days and all the cloud and rain would keep them hidden.

If this is true – and my recon levels are not great – then that was a successful set of raids around Hamburg.

France.

1 Ca Army took Calais and dismantled the west flank of the German defensive line. Finally making progress here and cut almost all the German supply lines back to their port depots.

15A (its taken over this sector from 9A which is now commanding the units in Alsace etc) carries on making gains east of Paris. Used some well rested parts of 2 British in an attempt to find a weak spot.

Italy, taken the advice about unit bombing and it seems to have undermined the German capacity to resist.

Only 1 hex taken but the German units shattered or surrendered rather than retreated. 7A managed another break out but couldn't quite cross the Po. Not shown but 5A took Turin and made some small gains.

loki100

T73-74

Post by loki100 »

T73-74

T73 was heavy rain almost everywhere so little action. T74 was snow, so good for operations.

Annoying re-appearance of the v-weapons on the VP chart (this is for T74).

Now that BC has accepted it can go out in the day I tested its commitment by making it bomb the Ruhr in the day – well in a snow storm at the end of November. Still it claims to have done some damage.

8AAF went for lower Saxony – mostly unbombed so gave it a wide area and let it find its own targets.

Note the P51 AS mission carries on inflicting massive losses on the Luftwaffe.

Secondary raid went for a group of v-weapon plants on the Baltic.

15AAF hit SW Germany. Again mostly untouched so I gave it a wide area and let it hit what it wanted.

France. Pas de Calais/Flanders almost cleared. I'll then bring up 1 Canadian for an offensive into eastern Belgium. I guess about 4 turns to finish off, rest and juggle my front lines but that will give me a lot of powerful infantry freeing up the tanks for exploitation.

To the south 15A has released 2 British from its defensive duties. Broke German lines around Sedan, if I can, the goal is Luxembourg and the southern Rhineland.

In the meantime 9A has reached the Rhine in the far south. I doubt I'll manage a crossing but I can screen sectors and look for a weak spot.

Italy. 5A broke out threatening to cut the Germans off in Liguria. 7A is now over the Po and clearing its own flanks. Finally have unimpeded rail links to Bologna which will help.

8A making surprisingly quick work of the holiday camp.

IslandInland

RE: T73-74

Post by IslandInland »

I'm enjoying the AAR.

Thanks, loki.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
loki100

T75

Post by loki100 »

T75

I realise the AI needs some help, in particular it is far more vulnerable to getting encircled than a human player. Equally, no human player would have hung onto a line in the western Appenines while their opponent pushed up to the Po.

Given that, even so, this was a wee bit of a surprise.

Well it should give me a good VP haul – Genoa and Milan to add to what I already have. So I'll take my time absorbing my gains, pull out at least one army for the Belfort region and have a think about what to leave and how best to re-organise.

BC. I'm now keeping on a 3-5 hex wide AD and pretty much letting it find the remaining targets. The only real change is to shift the focus to the north or south of the Ruhr.

8 AAF is on a similar pattern, I'm still sometimes being more specific (eg hit some AFV plants) but again its basically on a large area AD and left to itself.

Secondary mission still moving around targetting v-weapon production.

Not shown but 15 AAF had an inept set of raids in SW Germany.

In combination, v-weapon's suppressed and bombing at +4. City pts still more or less being traded off for ongoing losses.

France. Pas de Calais and Flanders now cleared out. Trying to capture the Scheldt estuary as that will free up Antwerp and ease supply into the Netherlands.

Goal is to concentrate 1 Canadian as the break through formation and then exploit with well rested (ie 40-50 MP) US armour from 1A. 3A will probably just screen a flank.

Will take a few turns as I want to rest and refit some formations and need to think about how the map fits together – as well as where the German line might be weaker.

Started to move the FB of 9AAF to Europe, so far they have mostly been in the UK given that they have usually been operating over NW France.

2 Tactical Air has been around Paris for the last 8 turns as some are shorter ranged and it has been hitting central France.

All the LB still in the UK.

As before, 15A is basically freeing up 2 Br Army so it can concentrate.

Both Tactical Airforces plastered the likely avenue of advance as well as bombing particular targets - the result of this was one German division shattered on contact.

Decent breakthrough at Sedan and Gds Armoured almost reached Luxembourg.

Italy at the end. 8A finished off the Appenine holiday camp. Trapped a few German units (there is another small pocket in the Maritime Alps).

In no hurry to renew combat so moving up and re-organising as I do.

As above, need to think about what to send to France. Certainly most of the mobile units as they will be of little value in the Alps – depending on what the AI does I might simply leave a purely defensive force (but that will probably create too much supply demand around Belfort).

I could send some units by sea to the UK and thus into the Netherlands etc.

loki100

T76

Post by loki100 »

T76

(sorry about the speed of these – just in between projects and have some spare time, plus rather enjoying this)

Lots of moving key assets around for the next phase.

About 50% of Tactical Air – especially its longer ranged elements – deployed to Central France in support of 9A (and 5A when it arrives).

All the remaining tactical assets in Italy now under the control of the Malta air command. I can't move too much with Tactical Air due to lack of bases and don't want to worsen the supply problems in that sector.

If Italy does end up in an Alpine stalemate I guess I could send the bulk to either 2 Tactical Air of 9AAF up on the North Sea coast where supply is better, but I'll wait till I am sure there is nothing more I can take.

Letting most of 9AAF rest so its ready for the next offensive. 2 Tactical Air fully committed to supporting 2 British Army around Luxembourg.

15 AAF resting (heavy rain in Italy), BC and 8 AAF continue to move around, nothing particularly structured just looking for targets

Northern part of the main front. Not doing well at clearing the Scheldt but hopefully should fall next turn.

Nice build up – so unusual to see a decent reserve available. Most of the armoured units are 45-50 MP which is key to exploitation.

At the moment my idea is to attack along the Albert Canal, I can either see if I can take Maastricht or if its better to clear the southern Netherlands before crossing the Maas.

Despite the snow, decent recon and it looks like 2 Br Army has drawn off most of their mobile reserves.

Southern part of the main front. 2 British widens its salient, I guess it has one, maybe two, more turns of offensive power before it gets too extended.

9A building up, 15A is designed as a defensive shield. I'm in no hurry in this sector but would like to force the Rhine as there are a lot of VP to be had in southern Germany.

Italy. All rather confused as I both deal with stragglers and plan for redeployments. Genoa is strongly held, that stack in the Alpes Maritimes will go next turn (I hope).

I doubt I'll make much progress but basically will give 8A the mountain assets and see how it manages above Lake Garda. 7A will retain some mobile units in case the Germans fight in Friuli.

I don't really mind if the front just stalemates as there is little left in Italy where the VP for the gains is more than the VP for any losses.

bomccarthy

RE: T76

Post by bomccarthy »

Your situation in Italy is very similar to my last 43 GC game. I decided to halt on the river line just north of Venice, which I defended with all-British 5th and 8th Armies (to avoid depleting the British manpower pool). I shifted all American and almost all Commonwealth ground units to Northwest Europe, with the Commonwealth forces joining the 1st Canadian Army in Belgium. If you carefully manage their losses and fatigue, the 1st NZ and South African Armored divisions can be monsters.

In this situation I like playing the Addl Air HQ scenario because it gives me the historical flexibility to adjust air resources. I sent the 12th TAC to Alsace Lorraine to support the 6th Army Group (7th US and 1st FF Armies), as in real life. I also shifted the 12th Bomber Command to Alsace Lorraine, although I had to spend admin points expanding the airfields. I left air units in Italy under the command of Desert AF, which reported to Malta Air Command. I would have shifted the 15th AF to airfields just south of Paris (in order to avoid the bad Winter/early Spring weather over the Alps), but I ended up capturing Berlin before Feb 45.
loki100

RE: T76

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Your situation in Italy is very similar to my last 43 GC game. I decided to halt on the river line just north of Venice, which I defended with all-British 5th and 8th Armies (to avoid depleting the British manpower pool). I shifted all American and almost all Commonwealth ground units to Northwest Europe, with the Commonwealth forces joining the 1st Canadian Army in Belgium. If you carefully manage their losses and fatigue, the 1st NZ and South African Armored divisions can be monsters.

In this situation I like playing the Addl Air HQ scenario because it gives me the historical flexibility to adjust air resources. I sent the 12th TAC to Alsace Lorraine to support the 6th Army Group (7th US and 1st FF Armies), as in real life. I also shifted the 12th Bomber Command to Alsace Lorraine, although I had to spend admin points expanding the airfields. I left air units in Italy under the command of Desert AF, which reported to Malta Air Command. I would have shifted the 15th AF to airfields just south of Paris (in order to avoid the bad Winter/early Spring weather over the Alps), but I ended up capturing Berlin before Feb 45.

Interesting, but yes I agree that at this stage having more allied air commands would be handy, with the fronts so fragmented and some air HQs spread out its not always easy to assign the right air formations to the right sector (esp in terms of GS).

Like the idea of putting 15 AAF around Paris. I'm mostly using it to bomb S Germany or as GA-unit missions and that is as useful as N Italy for those missions.

The good thing about pushing the Italian front to this line is it frees up a lot for the end game in N Europe. Handy as I often find its a lack of counters that is a major constraint by then.
loki100

T77-T78

Post by loki100 »

T77-T78

I've conflated these turns as not much happened on T77. Snow meant very little strategic bombing took place, and what did was fairly useless.

And while I cleared the Scheldt (hurrah), an attempt to free Antwerp from German ZoC failed disastrously (boo)

Anyway T78 brought clear skies. And clear skies bring bombers.

Handy as my VP score had dipped a bit.

I was going to delay the offensive a turn, especially after the failed attempt to break out from Antwerp, but the clear skies and a well rested 9AAF was too tempting.

Advantage of lots of well rested infantry was being able to break their front in three places (2 British managed a small gap as well).

And armour with 43-50 MP can go a long way despite combat delays and ZoC.

Brief trip to Italy.

Front is finally settling down, Genoa is going to be hard to take but I have worked out what to leave here under 8A and 7A and what to pull out with 5A. It will take some turns to arrange but that will give me a good build up around Belfort and I may even send 1 Ca Corps up to northern Europe to join with 1 CA Army as a welcome late reinforcement.

For now I'll carry on taking what I can, places like Venice offer a decent city VP score. No illusions of making any real progress in the Alps.
loki100

T79

Post by loki100 »

T79

End of 1944, and bad news for the Germans is the skies stay clear.

With a suitable VP reward

Few bits of air management, I took the advice above and 15 AAF is now clustered around Paris. This works well as there are a lot of large airfields and it can still reach S Germany/Upper Austria which is where I tend to bomb. The Soviets have long since absorbed Rumania.

Tactical Air is now lodged around Lyon and am expanding some airbases. For the moment I left most of the shorter ranged planes in Italy. I also moved the Med transport command to bases around Marseilles which eases flying supply to around Belfort.

In combination this means each of the main sectors of the front pushing into Germany have a large tactical airforce backing it and strategic bombers hitting rail yards behind the front.

Supply net is pretty good. I have the twin rail tracks running up the Rhone fully repaired so can shift a lot from S France to Belfort etc each turn. It also means that redeploying combat units doesn't wreck my logistics capacity.

In addition to the Channel ports (and very handily Antwerp is now fully functional), I have two separate rail lines running back to the Atlantic ports – again this helps channel supply down to the Belfort sector.

First corps of 5A have arrived (by train) and I'll send the British XXX Corps (with most of the armour from Italy) next turn. 2 Corps with the better infantry need to take Genoa before moving on. But in combination this will give me some mobility and the means to put on some decent pressure on the south of the main German defensive line.

Strategic air much as before (15 AAF out of mileage due to the moves

France.

Main offensive started to gain pace. The lure of trapping those 2 SS Pzr divisions meant I opted for a narrow encirclement (despite one very stubborn defense) rather than depth. Even so elements of US 1A took Eindhoven.

Br 2A attacks were to try and free up their rail and logistic lines.

Elsewhere, very limited action, mainly to gain particular hexes and a few German counter-attacks.

Since its the end of the year, a few loss tables.

My tank losses are rather grim – it is actually re-assuring to know there is a bug affecting this.

In the air, the Luftwaffe fighters have a bad time of it. The level of their losses depends on if I guess right with the AS missions for Fighter Command and 8AAF.

Basically across the game I have traded pilots at 1-1 and aircraft at 2-3. Ratios that very much favour my resource base.

Destroyed units. Finally destroying a lot, incl some Pzr divisions. You can the T72-75 sequence where I collapsed the big pockets in Italy and NW France.

Mine are where I am scrapping AA units to free up the manpower etc.

John B.

RE: T79

Post by John B. »

This is a very interesting AAR. Thanks for keeping up with it!
John Barr
loki100

RE: T79

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: John B.

This is a very interesting AAR. Thanks for keeping up with it!

Thanks

Wanted to do something to help players new to the game move onto the campaign. Problem is the game has a number of quite long term feedback loops and its not always obvious how the bits fit together. Some elements, such as invasion timing and allocation of troops to the Med/France are relatively intuitive but how the airwar slots onto the ground war took me some time to get clear.
loki100

T80-T81

Post by loki100 »

T80-T81

Last two turns of clear skies ended and back to snowstorms.

As a result I've conflated as this gives me very little effective airpower available with the usual consequences. Relatively few strategic bombing raids took place and most did very little damage.

Not a good time for this to happen as the v-weapon sites are busily repairing.

Lack of airpower also felt on the ground. After last turn's romp forward this was more of a slog. The encircled SS divisions defeated an attempt to destroy them, few other failed attacks but still managed to reach the Maas.

Elsewhere, redeploying from Italy (slow now I am moving the armoured divisions) and 5A in position for an attack on Genoa.

Still making some progress towards Venice. I can't move any units I free up (rail capacity) for a while so they may as well do something useful where they are.

For T81, main offensive slowed a bit, not helped by it taking four attacks to finish off those SS Panzers. Despite this, gained some hexes over the Maas and generated another pocket with units well worth destroying

Good news in Italy was that Genoa fell easily at the first attack. Bring all those units up to the main front now.

Also making progress sending the tanks up the Rhone. Over in NE Italy, becomes clear I am going to make no gains. So, again will re-organise and send some units to NW Europe.

Already gaining from the early redeployments. Enough to justify attacking towards Strasbourg.

loki100

T82-T84

Post by loki100 »

T82-T84

I've run these turns together as while quite a lot is happening, the snowfall seriously limited air operations making it all rather repetitive. T82 and 83 were snowfall, T84 brought clear skies.

The other big issue was that the major rivers froze to about level 5 ice. This is actually a real problem as it really increases MP to cross. It takes a complete turn to manage this and often cross-river attacks need to be hasty.

Anyway, have managed to get into Germany.

Have almost finished stripping down the Italian front.

Most went by rail up the Rhone valley, 1 Canadian Corps and some good infantry by sea to the UK and then landed at Antwerp. 3 more infantry divisions are following and I'll move the NZ motorised division by rail in the next few turns.

To place all this in some sort of context, this is the OOB screen for T84. From north to south in NW is 12 US Army Group, 21 British Army Group and 6 US Army Group.

15 British Army Group still has 4 formations it will lose in the coming turns.

On the other side, there are a lot of Germans, and I have a lot of damaged tanks.

VP situation at the start of T84. Bombing VP has badly dropped off but at least I'd mostly suppresed the v-weapons before the poor weather turns.

All the bombing charts are for T84, previous two turns have only shown intermittent raids taking place.

BC went back to where it is always happiest.

8 AAF still has a dedicated v-weapon AD. Main one bombed to the north of Hannover.

15 AAF now concentrating on SW Germany from its Paris base.

Development of the main offensive over the three turns.

T82 saw the destruction of a pocket with a FJ and SS Pzr division. As you can see this wasn't that easy.

T83 saw 3A and its French armour/motorised units reach the Dutch-German border. Due to high MP costs can only slowly reinforce my bridgehead around Maastricht, so 1A rather bogged down.

T84. Tried to cross the Maas but could only manage hasty atttacks. At least this turn I had a lot of airpower available.

The Canadian formations from Italy are just unloading in Antwerp which will give me a lot of powerful infantry.

T84 finally saw 2 British A manage to regain some mobility. Trying to cut off the large German salient that is still only about 20 miles from Paris.

T83 and 9A finally forced the Rhine. Also managed to move enough across that I think I can hold on. Any exploitation will be hard, not least as Strasbourg is the most southerly Rhine rail bridge.

Main offensive force of 5A is now available.

So for T84 a small exploitation of the Rhine crossing and 5 and 9 Armies co-operated in taking Strasbourg.

Actually getting a rail connection means clearing Lorraine – hence the offensive by 2 British.

Couple of wider comments. In NW Europe my supply is really good. I think that diverting a substantial force to clear all the Brittany ports and building two separate rail links from there to the main front has paid off. As has ensuring that both rail lines up the Rhone valley are fully repaired. Also using the transport commands to constantly drop supply close to the front.

I have a one divisional landing planned for the region NE of Amsterdam. I may never use this but it can be handy depending on how the campaign works out. One US airborne division is in the UK, its prepping to drop but I really intend to use it to reinforce any captured airfield via air transport.

Not sure how this is going to work out. The Maas-Rhine are proving harder to cross than my previous experience and anything in S Germany is fully dependent on making the rail links at Strasbourg work. On the other hand, I have a lot of troops available and can rotate more beaten up formations out of the line.

Italy I am assuming is now stalemated. I've left just enough that if I spot a weak spot I can both attack and exploit.
loki100

T85-T87

Post by loki100 »

T85-T87

Again I've conflated 3 turns due to weather and thus little variation.

After my excitement at clear skies on T84, the game took revenge and T85-6 were heavy rain and mud. So all the airforces were resting and I took the chance to do plane upgrades, swap stuff around to get the best use out of the pools and scrap a few units where I lack replacements (eg recon planes) or am short of pilots (scrapped some NF units to free up fighter pilots for some nationalities).

T87 was almost ideal conditions. Frozen ground and clear skies, plus a very well rested and redeployed airforce.

This was the VP situation by the start of T87 when I could use the airpower again. Rather glad I had clearly bombed out the v-weapons earlier.

On T87, the well rested strategic airforces could attack again. 8 AAF's main raids were around Leipzig – not really that effective.

15 AAF carries on hitting SW Germany – lot more effective but also that region has far more undamaged targets.

BC stuck to the Ruhr. Very effectively.

On the ground things developed slowly over the first two turns.

T85 on the Upper Rhine. I made some gains but the Germans really wanted to retake Strasbourg. That actually left me with 2 armoured units that were unready and needed to refit.

Not shown but 2 Br made a few more gains near Metz.

T86. AI finally abandoned its salient and freed up the Champagne stocks. 15A will deal with the stragglers, 2 British making sure its hard for them to escape.

On the Upper Rhine I defended as I juggled stuff around for a renewal of my attacks next turn.

T87. Pocket sealed, 2 British over the Moselle, but main gains were in the 5 and 9 Army sectors. Crossed the Rhine at Strasbourg and started to free up the rail links.

T85 in the centre saw the first incursion into Germany and capture of Aachen.

T86 saw German counterattacks (no idea why, even if it did rout a US regiment) and a German retreat around Namur.

I took Liege but attempts to push east all failed.

And then all the fun of frozen ground and clear skies. Reinforced by the Corps from Italy, 2 Ca Army ripped open the German front. First from the Maas bridgehead and then creating a new bridgehead at Kleve.

The German units facing the Maas bridgehead were bombed by all the 2-engined bombers in 2 Tac Air and 9 AAF. That was a lot of disrupted elements even before the infantry attacks.

1A then had a bit of a party. I've been resting some armour so they had 40+ MP. As a result got over the Rhine and the salient is well protected by heavy interdiction. Any attempt to counter-attack is going to be costly both for MP and in terms of attrition losses.

BC may need to find new targets now.

With the German salient in the centre reduced, I can use 15A to free up 2Br for a rest before it moves onto the Rhine as well.
cfulbright

RE: T85-T87

Post by cfulbright »

Loki,

I'm curious why you chose to attack HI at Leipzig rather than go after those big Messerschmitt factories.

Cary
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

Loki,

I'm curious why you chose to attack HI at Leipzig rather than go after those big Messerschmitt factories.

Cary

From playing the Axis side the constraint is not available planes but trained pilots. In a PBEM even with far more careful use of the fighters than the AI has managed, and disbanding NF formations to feed the pilots into the day formations, you end up with far more planes than you can use if you stick to 'TPI' and try to keep the experience levels up.

Once you cross the threshold on this, your losses escalate as the air combat model works on the basic principle that an experienced pilot flying a second rate plane will most likely beat an inexperienced pilot flying an excellent plane.

So a lot of my air strategy is based on killing German fighter pilots, hence the very aggressive use of FC in 1943 (and by October I'd basically run out of fighters ... which didn't matter as I then started to convert those units to 'bomber' and re-equip with Typhoons etc) and the P51s since the Spring of 1944 (those too are now pretty wrecked and all the squadrons are short of planes). In combination, unless the AI evades my AS (this happens on some turns) I am running a fighter exchange of around 1 Allied for 8 Axis (sometimes 1-10).

So whereas historically the Allies were concerned about German fighter production, here I'm taking the view that they can build what they want, I can shoot it down with no adverse impact. I do sometimes hit the Me-262 factories just to reduce the production.

Again thats an area where I'd do it differently in a PBEM. A German player will make sure those go to the last high experience units. Not going to make any difference to the big picture by now, but still much more worthwhile to cut off the problem at source.

A long way to say, don't mind how many planes they build, I have better targets. I'm still working over their key AFV plants but by this stage I'm mostly doing strategic bombing 'because I can'. As you enter the Reich you get more 'bombing' VP for city capture than for actual bombing (captured factories are counted as destroyed).
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

Loki,

Interesting. As the Allies I play an aggressive air attrition game, but I didn't have the inside knowledge to know it was the pilots rather than the planes that I was winning by killing.

Cary

Return to “After Action Reports”