In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

paulderynck

RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

Post by paulderynck »

I want to say most people but I think my sample space does not allow that claim, but "most people" put the reserve land units in one of their force pool compartments and just aircraft in the reserve pool on the production chart, usually stacked in several piles (number according to room and what makes personal sense, cream of the crop on top) so all will fit.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Anyway, setup for Global War is going smoothly so far. It took me a while to grok sorting counters and reading the setup charts, but now it seems easy. (I fired up MWIF to check some of my work.) I've done the USA and USSR; working on Italy now. Maybe I'll post an AAR somewhere. Half-tempted to post it in these forums, to give people a sense of the many differences between MWIF and CE.
There have been a few minor errata for CE including some for setting up some of the scenarios. You can get them from the ADG website.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Reserve... I use these boxes, and keep the reserves together in one of the compartments.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/ ... 1476217487

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Frankly, I never liked the Scandinavian map; the game scale of WiF is wrong to properly simulate the Finish war. The off map boxes actually did a far better job of recreating what (didn't) happen in that theater.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Half-tempted to post it in these forums, to give people a sense of the many differences between MWIF and CE.
I for one would completely enjoy that. Please do if you have the time. [8D]
Ronnie
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I'll see how things go, Ronnie. I might do it!

Another mundane question. In Global War, China has already called out its reserves. But I see in MWIF, the Sian militia (not a reserve) is placed on map, while the Lan Chow milita (a reserve) remains in the force pool. Should it be the other way around? Or should both be on the map? I'm trying to figure out which of the two to place in my CE game, which gives the Communists 1 MIL but also says China has already called out the reserves.
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

RE: The Counters.

1) My Germans are clearly gray and black. Russia orange.
2) The counters separate so well that I can hardly see or feel the "nub".
3) Since in my first copy of WiF 1st edition the counters literally separated into the cardboard core and little paper fronts and backs that I had to glue back together, I wouldn't complain about much!

Enjoy!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Another mundane question. In Global War, China has already called out its reserves. But I see in MWIF, the Sian militia (not a reserve) is placed on map, while the Lan Chow milita (a reserve) remains in the force pool. Should it be the other way around? Or should both be on the map? I'm trying to figure out which of the two to place in my CE game, which gives the Communists 1 MIL but also says China has already called out the reserves.
The set-up states China forces as X/Y where X is Nationalist and Y is Commie. If no X/Y and just a number, it is Nationalist. Since they are at war, all reserves are added before you do random selection of 1 Chicom MIL.
Paul
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Paul, that makes sense to me. But unless I'm mistaken, that's not how it works in MWIF. RAW7 has the same setup for China as the Collector's Edition, from what I can tell -- it calls for 1 MIL. But when I load a saved China-setup game, I get 1 MIL (Sian) only -- the reserve MIL (Lanchow) is in the China force pool, not the setup tray or on the map. Now, this save is not from the current version of MWIF, so maybe it's been changed?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You would have to start a new game from scratch to be sure. As the draws are randomized, you might have to start several.

Or - it's a bug.
Paul
Orm

Post by Orm »

Paul, that makes sense to me. But unless I'm mistaken, that's not how it works in MWIF. RAW7 has the same setup for China as the Collector's Edition, from what I can tell -- it calls for 1 MIL. But when I load a saved China-setup game, I get 1 MIL (Sian) only -- the reserve MIL (Lanchow) is in the China force pool, not the setup tray or on the map. Now, this save is not from the current version of MWIF, so maybe it's been changed?
It should be random which of the two Communist Chinese MIL is set up during the Global War setup. And, to me, it appears random. I've drawn the Lanchow MIL several times.

Attachments
0000.jpg
0000.jpg (392.97 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Thanks, Orm. I think I'm misunderstanding the setup rule, then. China has two Communist MILs in its force pool: one (Langchow) is a reserve, one (Sian) is not. The scenario calls for one Communist MIL. But the rules also say China has called out its reserves. Shouldn't both MILs be set up, then? One is automatically on the board because it's been called out as a reserve; the other is in the force pool at setup because it's not a reserve. So when the scenario calls for a MIL, isn't it calling for the non-reserve MIL in the force pool?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

No. The idea is both MIL are in the force pool before anything happens - because Reserves were called out in 1936. To set up you randomly draw one of the two and the remaining one can be built. The set-up is saying one of the two was destroyed in fighting prior to the Global War scenario and has not been rebuilt yet. Making it a random draw is ADG's way of throwing in some variability to challenge the Allied player(s).

As I said, looking at an old set-up file does not show much because it would have been saved after random draws took place.
Paul
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

Question: When using Ships in Flames, which of the original ship counters are removed? I can easily see that you should remove the BB, CA, CL, CV sets, but I am not sure if the SS, AMP, and TRS are replacements for or additions to.

Thanks in advance!
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

Ah, found the answer in the Campaign & Players' Guide. It was the last place I looked. [:)]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Rick, you guessed the rule almost perfectly! You also keep the WiF Convoy counters, as I'm sure you know.
The set-up is saying one of the two was destroyed in fighting prior to the Global War scenario and has not been rebuilt yet.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The light bulb turns on. I needed to be reminded that Japan and China have been fighting for three years. Thanks for the clarification!
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Incidentally, I'm now setting up France in Global War, Collector's Edition. I've been pleasantly surprised how smooth and easy setup has been. Once you grok the system, it goes fast.

It all looks so pretty, too! The only aesthetic thing I'm debating about is whether to put all my CW ships in Plymouth on a task force display. Right now they're sort of floating in several stacks in a long line in the English Channel. (They must have long lines tying them to their moorings.)
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Incidentally, I'm now setting up France in Global War, Collector's Edition. I've been pleasantly surprised how smooth and easy setup has been. Once you grok the system, it goes fast.

It all looks so pretty, too! The only aesthetic thing I'm debating about is whether to put all my CW ships in Plymouth on a task force display. Right now they're sort of floating in several stacks in a long line in the English Channel. (They must have long lines tying them to their moorings.)
[8D]

Attachments
ZaJVd6H.jpg
ZaJVd6H.jpg (157.69 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Ronnie
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Wow! O.o
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

[8D]

"The War Illustrated", right? I have the whole ten volumes collection. Now it is available for free download in .PDF form. A real time capsule of WWII as seen in real time from the British point of view.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Return to “World in Flames”