Air force unit size and Stuka cheat unit

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

AngrySwan

Air force unit size and Stuka cheat unit

Post by AngrySwan »

Air force strength

As far as I see in game, the size of German air units in game is as follows:

- division/Geschwader - a brigade in game
- regiment/Gruppe - a regiment in game
- squadron/Staffel- a battalion in game

What is an air force division then? Is it a division/Geschwader in its full theoretical strength, or several divisions/Geschwaders?

Stukas in the East

In the historical OOB there are 3 Stuka groups - No. 1, 2 and 77. since there are some bomber units that do not show in game due to limited number of unit slots, I am playing with these bomber units:

- 3 regiments of Ju 88 in AG North sector, representing KG 76,
- in the original AA campaign there was a group ZG 26 in AG Center sector, but those were Bf 110s so I renamed Ju 88 to KG 3 and He 111 to KG 53, and bought ZG 26 as a reinforcement,
- 2 brigades of Ju 88 (KG 51 and 54) and 1 brigade of He 111 (KG 55) in AG Anotnescu sector,
- 1 brigade of He 111 (KG 27) in AG Antonescu sector.

Is it a cheat to have just one Stuka division representing all Stukas in the east? How to get a super Stuka - take KG 55 from AG South, which already has an antitank upgrade, then get one more, then upgrade it to a Stuka division. An expensive toy but also a dangerous weapon in the right hands. At leasst I have not exceeded the historical strength of Stukas on the Eastern front.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
klhbekool

RE: Air force unit size and Stuka cheat unit

Post by klhbekool »

I will try that.
KLH
AngrySwan

RE: Air force unit size and Stuka cheat unit

Post by AngrySwan »

It turns out this unit is cheaper than two separate Stuka brigades so there is a chance to save resources. It is also strong and very rarely takes damage.

I usually give another dive bomber squadron to KG 55 in Lwow battle so KG 55 has two by the end of Lwow battle. Before Uman it is upgraded to a Stuka brigade with tank attack value of 33. This Stuka brigade stays with AG South and goes to Kiev, Melitopol and Rostov. But there is a chance to use this Stuka force in more battles - Lwow, Uman, Kiev, Wjasma, Mozhaisk and Moscow. Since it does a lot of bombing maybe one time I will have a unit with five extensions?

As the Soviets do not have air force in Melitopol battle, it is more logical to use 2 Ju 88, 1 He 111 and 1 Bf 109 rather than 3 Bf 109 and 1 Stuka. The mission is 8 moves long and there are no airfields, so the Stuka just makes 2 attacks and then sits idle for 6 days - not much of a battle. It is better to send the Stuka to Wjasma and Mozhaisk which gives it a chance to make 5 airstrikes in Wjasma battle, some more in Mozhaisk battle (unless it rains for a week) and Moscow battle is 21 days long, giving the Stuka an opportunity to make 11 airstrikes (in fact there will be less because of snowfalls and the undefeated Soviet fighters in the first days).

Also the air force of AGS can make 11 airstrikes with 3 planes instead of 2 airstrikes with one Stuka and then go to Rostov.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”