Forum Problem

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Furbet

Forum Problem

Post by Furbet »

Is there a problem with private Wif Netplay Forum ?

Version 2.8.4 gets a Wif fatal exception when connecting to the forum (inside or outside the restore game).

Is anyone else getting this or is this a local problem ?

Thanks,

Fur
Centuur

RE: Forum Problem

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Furbet

Is there a problem with private Wif Netplay Forum ?

Version 2.8.4 gets a Wif fatal exception when connecting to the forum (inside or outside the restore game).

Is anyone else getting this or is this a local problem ?

Thanks,

Fur

It's a problem at Matrix. Since yesterday the Netplayforum seems to be having problems.
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Gerry is having the problem but it comes up fine for me.

I'm not sure what is going on. It is at Slitherine's end - their server software or database.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

How many are having this problem or how many are not?
Furbet

Post by Furbet »

Confirmed as a problem for Furbet and Fonjo, both UK based.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

Apologies for the inconvenience this caused. We did have a server move and upgrade, and after investigating these reports, we think the in-game forum system was still pointing to the old database server. Could you please double-check now? It should now be pointing to the correct server.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Furbet

Post by Furbet »

Eric,

Thanks just tried, unfortunately still getting the same error.

Furbet
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Erik - your helpdesk person asked me to change my Slitherine password. I did and it did no good. I really don't think the helpdesk understands the issue.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Also Erik - there are 2 more players other than the ones above and myself who are having the same problem. That makes 5 so far I know of.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

No, it didn't fix things for me too...
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I was able to log in successfully yesterday (Thursday) but it now fails for me too.

I am getting the error message (generated by World in Flames) that the connection to the NetPlay forum is lost.

I had this problem early Tuesday morning but it didn't happen by the late morning and all was well Wednesday and Thursday. But now it is Friday and I get the Monday's error message again.

====

EDIT: Technical details are:
The program establishes a connection to the NetPlay Server okay. It then tries to access/open the Seeking Opponents database by sending an empty message ('') to the forum using the method Post. That causes the fatal error.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for the reports, I'm sorry it is not working yet. Our folks are still working on finding the problem and fixing it and are in contact with Steve.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yeah mine has quit working now too and up to now whenever Gerry asked me to check - it had worked.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Yeah mine has quit working now too and up to now whenever Gerry asked me to check - it had worked.
I see. Things are now equitable. Before it was working for some and not for others. This was fixed. Now it's not working for anyone. Equality is good, right? [:)]
I thought I knew how to play this game....
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

Still can't log in to the forum. The mwif.exe error message pops up shortly after pressing the 'Log in to forum button'. Slitherine website help team asked me about possible account name conflicts as a first up response. Not relevant I believe as it hasn't changed.

A little downtime wouldn't be a bad thing but I think the Yanks are about to have a crack at declaring war and I'm having difficulty sleeping!

John
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

I wanted to make sure that there is still awareness that Netplay forum is still broken.

It is no longer causing the exception, but it is still not allowing connection to the Seeking Opponents database - it can still not be found.

What is obvious to me is that the "server move and upgrade" was not completed successfully.

As an IT person, myself, what "should" be done is to back out of the server move and restore the service to the previous (un-upgraded) server and plan to do this right.

There "should" also be a proper test of the upgrade and move using a copy of the server to make sure the process is correct.
Also, the change should only occur when "all hands are on deck" to fix the problems.

In my company, making such a change on a Friday and then leaving it for the weekend would result in some people losing their job.

If this was mission critical, the president would be selecting people at the top for the first terminations.

Please suggest that the manager in charge of this get their act together.

Failing on what should be a pretty simple process makes your entire company look bad.

It is my hope that the service is restored quickly and notification is clear and once the proper upgrade and migration occurs, it has been well tested and works perfectly before switching to the new server.

Dave
BrianJH

Post by BrianJH »

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

I wanted to make sure that there is still awareness that Netplay forum is still broken.

It is no longer causing the exception, but it is still not allowing connection to the Seeking Opponents database - it can still not be found.

Are you sure it's still not throwing the Transmit Post error? It's still happening for me.
It's just possible that in your case, it might be completely obscured behind the main Netplay Forum window, it was *almost* completely obscured when I tried it.

As seen below, the error window is just visible.

Brian.

Attachments
forumerror.jpg
forumerror.jpg (141.46 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

I'm sorry for the continued problem. Our server admin is working on it actively and we hope to have it fixed very soon - it just proved to be more complex than expected.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Dave - I'm still getting the mad-except. No improvement or change in the error message.

Gerry
ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

What is obvious to me is that the "server move and upgrade" was not completed successfully.

As an IT person, myself, what "should" be done is to back out of the server move and restore the service to the previous (un-upgraded) server and plan to do this right.

There "should" also be a proper test of the upgrade and move using a copy of the server to make sure the process is correct.
Also, the change should only occur when "all hands are on deck" to fix the problems.

In my company, making such a change on a Friday and then leaving it for the weekend would result in some people losing their job.

If this was mission critical, the president would be selecting people at the top for the first terminations.

Please suggest that the manager in charge of this get their act together.

Failing on what should be a pretty simple process makes your entire company look bad.

It is my hope that the service is restored quickly and notification is clear and once the proper upgrade and migration occurs, it has been well tested and works perfectly before switching to the new server.

Dave
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Likewise.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”