Attaching support units to divisions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Ktonos

Attaching support units to divisions

Post by Ktonos »

Manual says that the only requirement is that the combat unit must be in supply. I am baffled as I can't seem to be able to attach SU in CUs. There are Korps with dozens of SUs, and I can't seem to be able to assign them to divisions. I mean when a Korps has lets say 10 support units, I might be able to assign 1 or 2 of them but not the rest. I guess things have changed since the manual was written (?).
Telemecus

RE: Attaching support units to divisions

Post by Telemecus »

No artillery and no LW units. There are a few other examples - but basically the rest you should always be able to assign.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Right click the division and left click assign -- that will show you the SU's available for assignment. Know that German Allies cannot directly assign SU's to divisions and you have to hope for activation from a higher HQ.
Also, flak like LW flak can only be assigned to HQ units; however, the SP and towed flak can be assigned to German units.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
ringhloth

Post by ringhloth »

If you have a bunch of divisions and corps with SUs directly attached, does it make sense to attach SUs to HQs? Also, what are good SUs to directly attach? Pioneers/sappers/tank support/MG-Artillery and SP artillery all seem like good picks.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

SUs attached to corps can enegage in multiple battles with each unit under the HQ in each turn - when directly attached it can only participate when that one unit does. Direct attachment also means points spend when you want to rearrange.

Usually unlike SUs are good complements. Do not put flamms with motorised - they have enough problem getting fuel for the tanks without burning some - but they are very good for urban or difficult terrain combat. Put SP guns with motorised infantry, not with tanks. Put infantry SUs with tanks etc.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”