Japanese Sun Tzu

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

rustysi

RE: Japanese Sun Tzu

Post by rustysi »

Not quite right, not quite wrong.
The ship's air group was intended to consist of a dozen each Yokosuka D4Y Suisei dive bombers (Allied reporting name "Judy"), modified for catapult launching,

This is from 'Wiki' and it doesn't look like they operated in that fashion, but they were intended to be on board. They however could not land on the short flight deck and would have to return to a land base or a carrier with them at sea. All said I'll take 22 Rex's, if I have to, flying LoCAP.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
After sinking the IJN carriers, Halsey sent a cruiser TF to clean up cripples. The cruiser TF was forced to retreat when Ise and Hyuga came at them (because of their big guns, not their FPs)!
DuBose's cruiser/destroyer force was unaware of the approaching Japanese BB's when the decision was made to terminate further pursuit due to the low fuel state of the US destroyers. The last reports DuBose had received of the Japanese Bigboys was that they were over 40nm miles away and running like heck for home. DuBose then turned south at 2130 and ran at 25knots to rejoin his own CV TF by dawn so that he could refuel and reinforce the AA screen of the carriers.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
After sinking the IJN carriers, Halsey sent a cruiser TF to clean up cripples. The cruiser TF was forced to retreat when Ise and Hyuga came at them (because of their big guns, not their FPs)!
DuBose's cruiser/destroyer force was unaware of the approaching Japanese BB's when the decision was made to terminate further pursuit due to the low fuel state of the US destroyers. The last reports DuBose had received of the Japanese Bigboys was that they were over 40nm miles away and running like heck for home. DuBose then turned south at 2130 and ran at 25knots to rejoin his own CV TF by dawn so that he could refuel and reinforce the AA screen of the carriers.
That is a different narrative than the one I read. Sounds more plausible though!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

Yes, I'd seen similarly exciting narratives too but the various TF reports of that night made it clear that the Japanese force with the 2 BBs was believed to be still running away when the US pursuit was terminated.

From the War Diary of the pursuing US TF (commanded by DuBose of Cruiser Division 13)....

"At 2115, ComCruDiv 13 directed the group to retire. Destroyers did not have sufficient fuel for a high speed stern chase of the nearest targets that could be located. There were two groups of enemy ships 50 miles to the north, one consisting of 4-5 ships, the other of 2-3 ships. Both were on course North, at 20 knots. The night fighters had been of great assistance in furnishing information of those groups."

Unfortunately the US nightfighters lost contact with Ozawa's SAG (2 BB, 1 CL and a DD) when he turned south in an attempt to engage the reported enemy force that was beating up on the Hatsuzuki. It could have been an interesting night if not for DuBose's turn-back for fuel.
This was the only sig line I could think of.

Return to “The War Room”