PBEM error

Your panzer is not running well? Stop here and tell us what's happening!
Maudite

PBEM error

Post by Maudite »

Did my turn this morning and when I ended it and tried to upload I got an error message that said "Unable to connect to PBEM server". In the PBEM screen I hit refresh a few times and got the same error. Waited a few minutes, hit refresh, and it said it was my turn. Loaded up the game and it had lost all my moves and I had to start the turn over.

I'll be saving my turn from now on (assuming I can in PBEM -- never tried), but the system should handle an error better.
Saint Ruth

RE: PBEM error

Post by Saint Ruth »

Saving your turn actually saves it to the PBEM server, so if your internet was down/PBEM server was down, you wouldn't be able to save it either.

So what did you do after you failed to upload? Quit the game? In that case, yes, your turns would be lost as they're not saved anywhere.

I suppose it would be possible to give an option to save the game locally and then load that locally stored PBEM game.
BUT (a big BUT), that'd introduce the potential for cheating (as you could then edit the saved scenario in the editor).

So, not sure about that...
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Yeah, apparently the PBEM server was down for maintenance so that's why that happened.
/Brian
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

So what did you do after you failed to upload? Quit the game?

Nope, the steps that I performed were just as I described above. I left the game open and once the server came back up it said it was my turn. Loaded that game and it was back to the start.

The moves I had done were (apparently) irretrievable.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Oh, I see.
I suppose a fix could be: If you press Next Phase and it can't connect the server, the current scenario should remain open/active (and you should not proceed to next phase, should not exit the game).
You could then either:
a) wait (in that scenario) for the server to come back up at which time you could press Next Phase and it'll upload the scenario
or
b) exit the scenario (which will not save your turn and your moves will be lost)
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

When the planning phase is ended, the scenario does not remain open. The game takes the player to the PBEM server screen -- whether or not the game file was successfully uploaded. There does not seem to be a way to get back.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Yep, I meant I'll fix that so the scenario does stay open if upload fails [8D]
Thanks,
Brian

Return to “Tech Support”