Database, Realism Settings, and Game Version for CMANO Owners?

Command: Northern Inferno is a DLC for Command: Modern Operations. Set in 1975, the Cold War is omnipresent and beneath the veneer of détente the tension between the two superpowers irreversibly escalate towards the ultimate confrontation.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Slickyoung

Database, Realism Settings, and Game Version for CMANO Owners?

Post by Slickyoung »

As I understand realism settings are set by the scenario developer(s) in Northern Inferno, can we still edit these "under the hood" with the full game editor?

From reading earlier posts, fixes in the full game are obviously applied to Northern Inferno, is this correct?

Lastly, is there any advantage to updating the scenario files for Northern Inferno to the latest CMANO database (or does it update automatically)? I haven't looked yet, but does the scenario's include an .ini file so that magazine stores etc. don't get overwritten?

Thanks!
ultradave

RE: Database, Realism Settings, and Game Version for CMANO Owners?

Post by ultradave »

ORIGINAL: Slickyoung

As I understand realism settings are set by the scenario developer(s) in Northern Inferno, can we still edit these "under the hood" with the full game editor?

You'll have to explain this question in more detail. What do you mean by "realism settings" A particular scenario may have scripted actions and/or responses to your actions built in. To me those don't all into the category of realism. That's the "storyboard" of the scenario, which even with scripting, will be quite variable depending on your own actions.

From reading earlier posts, fixes in the full game are obviously applied to Northern Inferno, is this correct?

The "full game" is the full game. Scenarios of all types use the "full game" exe.

Lastly, is there any advantage to updating the scenario files for Northern Inferno to the latest CMANO database (or does it update automatically)? I haven't looked yet, but does the scenario's include an .ini file so that magazine stores etc. don't get overwritten?

Particularly if there have been updates to DB platforms, yes it's always good to update to the latest DB. You can get unexpected behaviors if not. And, yes, they do have .ini files. You could look. Less time to look than to type out the question.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
SunlitZelkova

Post by SunlitZelkova »

ORIGINAL: Slickyoung

Thanks!

If by realism settings, you mean things like aircraft damage, then yes, you can turn them on and off them in the editor.

What do you mean in your second question? Do you mean when an update with bug fixes comes out, that it applies to the Northern Inferno DLC as well? If so, then yes, bug fixes apply across all DLCs and obviously the main game.

You have to update scenarios manually to the latest DB.
Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin
Slickyoung

Post by Slickyoung »

So as far as realism settings, I was referring to the dialog screen that first pops up. All the examples shows My preferences and Scenario Defaults with check boxes, I have yet to see that. For Northern Inferno (and the tutorials that I have played), all I get is a big green check mark next to Detailed Fire Control and Big Red Xs next to the other three options. That leads me believe that this is locked by the Scenario, and would require editing (an example is if I wanted weather to play a role in the scenario or not...).

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm still trying to learn more about the database/scenarios/editor. In addition, I posted this in Northern Inferno since it's the only Campaign that I own. I did not fully understand how the campaign updates vs. the game updates.

Now I understand that when the main game updates there is no difference in the Campaign, so if I see a glitch that would be game related (such as climb rates, differing from the DB, etc.) that would be something that is game wide.

Also, thank you for letting me know if I see a scenario glitch, I should update to the latest DB before I report it.

Thanks for the information, and sorry I wasn't totally clear.

On another note, if I catch a spelling error on a scenario description it it worth reporting???
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Presumably you're referring to the Options screen that shows "Detailed gunfire" etc either checked (green) or unchecked (red)?

These are activated by the scenario authors when the scenario is created. Some, like Aircraft Damage require DLC to allow activation (in this case Chains of War) while others particularly in older scenarios may be database limited (aircraft damage) and require rebuilding before the features will run properly. Activating either of the above makes no sense in a purely submarine scenario for example.

As for glitches, running the latest game version and including a saved game (zipped) are essential for error reporting so that what you have observed can be reproduced. Every time there is an update, people will post bug reports for issues found in previous versions that were fixed in the latest patch. Errors due to using an older DB will generally be caught.

-C

Return to “Command: Northern Inferno”