Space 4x games statistics

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Vasquez

Space 4x games statistics

Post by Vasquez »

I was bored and made a statistic about 4x space-games on Steam within my "Steamfriends".

Here the result:

The 4x Space game which is owned by the most of my Steam-contacts is Endlesss Space (Part 1). 46 owners. It was a surprise for me cause the game is kinde meh. But I guess it was very often in sales and bundles thats the reason. The average playtime is also only 24 hours within the owners.

The second most owned Space 4x is Stellaris. 40 owners. Average playtime within the owners 143 hours. Thats pretty good.

Third place of the most owned is Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. 38 owners. Average gametime 48 hours.

The most gametime has Distant Worlds: Universe. 20 owners with average 181 hours. Of course the true hours are higher since the game was released on Steam years later. The majority played the non-Steam version for ages.

The already mentioned Stellaris is on the second place regarding gametime and on the third place is Star Ruler 2 (20 owners with 59 hours gametime in average).

There have also been two more surprises for me: The excellent game Polaris Sector is only owned by two of my steam contacts. And Stellar Monarch, one of my top 5 space 4X, even only by one other person.

Considered space games for the statistic: Distant Worlds, AI War: Fleet Command, Stellaris, Star Ruler 1, Star Ruler 2, Polaris Sector, Stellar Monarch, Predestination, Imperium Galactica I+II, Space Empires IV+V, Dawn of Andromeda, Stars in Shadows, Endless Space 1+2,Galactic Civilizations II/III, Horizon, The Last Federation, Sword of the Stars I+II, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion,Stardrive I+II,Master of Orion Remake,Falling Stars: Wars of Empires, Armada 2526: Gold Edition
Lecivius

RE: Space 4x games statistics

Post by Lecivius »

I have Endless Space. Agree the game is a bit tame, but the battle videos are the best I have ever seen in a 4x.

I have Stellaris as well. Awesome 4x game, especially with the DLC.

DW is still a blast, even after all these years. I can't wait for DW2.

Star Ruler is fun, but has issues (for me, anyways).

I don't have Polaris. To many bad reviews, and I already have a ton of these types [:'(]

GC3 is fun, but they keep messing with it [:(]

Armada 2526 is also an oldie but a goodie.

MOO just fell on it's face[:-]

SE4 is cool. SE5 is a true POS IMHO.

Imperium is a lot of fun if played once in a while, just to follow the story lines.

Sword of the Stars is also a sleeper, but a lot of fun.

Man, I have a lot of games [X(]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I had to look that up from Wiktionary. So which is it?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

I had to look that up from Wiktionary. So which is it?

I'll take option 7 [;)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Galactic Civilization II was the space game before Steam exploded on the scene. It still has the best AI around (with the exception of AI War: Fleet Command of course) and it is a blast to play. However, it arrived late on Steam, so many game-hours were not logged.

GCIII suffered from a score of problems, even after the expansions. I never played it so I can't comment.

I agree that DW is da blast. It never left my PCs, and it is one of the very few games I do keep on my laptop when I'm travelling.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Vasquez
The most gametime has Distant Worlds: Universe. 20 owners with average 181 hours. Of course the true hours are higher since the game was released on Steam years later. The majority played the non-Steam version for ages.

[8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I liked the Space Empires series. I played the heck out of SE3 back in the day, then enjoyed SE4 for a while. But SE5 didn't impress. It's funny, those older clunky games like SE3 and Aces of the Deep for subsim were IMHO more enjoyable than the newer games with too many more features and eye-candy graphics.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Personally I liked Space Empires 5 (SE V). But I would not recommend it anymore cause it did not aged well.

Same goes for some really good oldies like SE IV or the brilliant Imperium Galactica 1 and 2 gems. Outstanding games no doubt but their time is over.

The newish Galactic Civilizations III is way to boring and unispired in my opinion. Endless Space II is OKish but it does not feel "spacey" for me.

DW: Universe is still King of the Hill.

Stellaris is also good *hides* and Star Ruler Part 2 (wasnt fan of part 1) is the most innovative Space 4x since a decade (not for everyone tho) and a blast in multiplayer with friends.

Dawn of Andromeda, Stars in Shadows and Polaris Sector were also very enyoyable for me. Stellar Monarch is a must for any space fan as well.

What really astounded me was the hype for Star Drive I and II. Jesus this both games were waaaaay overrated. But anyway abandoned and dead by now.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Good post
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Stellaris is also good *hides*

I'm one from those you are hiding [:D] I pre-ordered the Ubergalactic Edition because Paradox had had a streak of very good games (HoI 3 when they managed to fix it, Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis 4). Stellaris was a promising game which turned "meh" halfway in - like a movie with an amazing start that, after a while, loses the plot.

Since, for good or bad, I have it (only the base game), how is now? Are they managing to fix it with the DLCs and the user mods the way they did with HoI 3?

Edit: typos.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
rico21

Post by rico21 »

This thread makes me want to replay at sins a solar empire in which I miss the voice of the stupid alien pilot saying "missiles chaaargés".[:D]
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
Stellaris is also good *hides*

I'm one from those you are hiding [:D] I pre-ordered the Ubergalactic Edition because Paradox had had a streak of very good games (HoI 3 when they managed to fix it, Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis 4). Stellaris was a promising game which turned "meh" halfway in - like a movie with an amazing start that, after a while, loses the plot.

Since, for good or bad, I have it (only the base game), how is now? Are they managing to fix it with the DLCs and the user mods the way they did with HoI 3?

Stellaris gets downvoted (uservotings) on Steam after 2.0 (starlanes). Personally I also dislike starlines but in my opinion it works very well with Stellaris. I also like some new mechanics like the new Fleet management.

Besides that it still suffers from mid- to endgame. But thats the case with the most 4X´s anyway.
balto

Post by balto »

Endless Space 2 is great, way better than the original. Stellaris and GC 3 are great. But yeah, DW is the best, I have not played it in years. Sure hope DW 2 become a reality.

I never tried Polaris Sector because as stated above, it got bad reviews. But I feel like I might get it someday.., I don't know.
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I love Distant Worlds, but I'd love a version where it's Humans vs Humans, not Aliens.

Return to “General Discussion”