AI in custom scenarios

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Ekaton

AI in custom scenarios

Post by Ekaton »

I've just purchased TOAWIV and I wonder, does AI work in custom made scenarios? As if it defends or attempts to take objectives?
I need ten females for each male...
sPzAbt653

RE: AI in custom scenarios

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yes, the 'AI' functions in all scenarios, the effectiveness of the Programmed Opponent [PO] depends on the scenario design, which varies from scenario to scenario. For example, you may see in a few scenario briefings that a scenario is for pbem only, indicating that the scenario designer did not program the opponent.

And, what is a 'custom made scenario' ?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

'custom made scenario' ?
wtf is that?
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Ekaton

Post by Ekaton »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
'custom made scenario' ?
wtf is that?

Lacking a better term, I meant scenarios that a user makes.

Anyway, thanks for your help!
I need ten females for each male...
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well, all scenarios are user made. I don't know if you are referring to a specific scenario, or maybe one that is not included in the official release, or something else. But to clarify it for you, even the scenarios that are included in any official release are submitted for inclusion by users.
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Haven't bought this game yet but am interested to know: is the AI just going after pre-set objectives and following pre-set paths or can it adapt at all to what happens in battle? I remember in the old TOAW games you could wipe out an AI-controlled column and the AI wouldn't fill the gap left by it.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: FOARP
Haven't bought this game yet but am interested to know: is the AI just going after pre-set objectives and following pre-set paths or (1) can it adapt at all to what happens in battle? I remember in the old TOAW games you could wipe out an AI-controlled column and the AI wouldn't fill the gap left by it.
Hey there FOARP dude.....you've asked a really good question and I'd like to take a stab an answering it for you. When the scenario designer is putting the game together he can laydown "objectives" in a path called a "track" that the formation will follow as it performs it's duties. And yes you CAN wipe out a formation and leave a gap in the front lines. I've been playing against the PO so seldom anymore that I don't have a lot of experience with how it performs now with the latest patch. I know it's been worked on and performs better than the old version. You might want to run a scenario with the computer playing the computer and see if you like what's happening.

And about it adapting to battlefield conditions....there are events that the scenario designer can use to adopt to the battlefield conditions in terms of ownership of hexes. If the enemy captures hex X,Y then unit B spawns or the strategic bias is changed, etc.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

It depends on how much time the designer has spent on the Programmed Opponent [PO]. There are different Formation Settings plus five Tracks available. Therefore, the PO may adapt to what is happening, if it has been designed to do so. For the casual player this might be hard to detect, but with the PO Assist turned on, the player can check Formation Paths and Tracks without going into the Editor.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”