Independent CU's: To attach or not attach, that is the question...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Gunnulf

RE: Independent CU's: To attach or not attach, that is the question...

Post by Gunnulf »

There are bits and pieces around the manual for sure and plenty of reasons to clarify things on the forum for sure. Main point I think was at first the manual is info overload for sure and good to just jump into the game, but after a while playing, and to the level Bobbybat is digging into the detail its really worth a cover to cover read. There are so many gems there that put things into perspective, some things you wouldn't even know to ask about maybe.
"Stay low, move fast"
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

ORIGINAL: Gunnulf
Corps can only attach units from a higher HQ in their chain of command on the same landmass.

One correction to what Gunnulf wrote. If two corps HQ from different armies are within ten hexes of each other on the same landmass and with a clear path of friendly hexes, they can exchange attached support units by clicking on the support unit within the current corps HQ and then clicking on the "HHQ" link on the left side of the window.

Cary
Bobbybat

Post by Bobbybat »

All the advice is combining with the re-read of the manual to help that be a lot more understandable now, ans I am sure you expected it to be for me Gunnulf :)

Did any of you utilise the Airborne div's sitting in England in the Breakout scenario? I am trying to have a play with Air Transport Mode (see my latest new thread question) more to get experience with the screen mechanics but I'm debating whether to use them 'properly' given that they weren't employed historically until Market Garden (AFAIK).

Just wondering if you have deployed them and if so in what capacity? Just as really good leg infantry?
Bobbybat

Post by Bobbybat »

Ok, getting the hang of this now...But more questions :)

1. What is the best use of SP Art battalions?
2. Do you assign out the Art battalions in order of bore size - i.e. give out all the 240mm units down to Corps first, then move to the 8in units, then the 155's, etc.?
3. Is it best from a supply (and I would guess movement rate? perspective to put 105 battalions down at the div level, rather than the big guns?

Thanks,
B

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

SP art are the only art you can directly attach to a unit, so I take advantage of that by attaching them to my Tank divisions.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

ORIGINAL: Bobbybat

Ok, getting the hang of this now...But more questions :)

1. What is the best use of SP Art battalions?
2. Do you assign out the Art battalions in order of bore size - i.e. give out all the 240mm units down to Corps first, then move to the 8in units, then the 155's, etc.?
3. Is it best from a supply (and I would guess movement rate? perspective to put 105 battalions down at the div level, rather than the big guns?

Thanks,
B

1. With any division assaulting a fortification, along with an engineer battalion.
2. I tend to allocate the artillery units evening among my corps, but may reinforce one corps from the others if it's attacking a large CV stack.
3. You can't assign 105 battalions to divisions, only the SP Art.

Cary
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Bobbybat

Did any of you utilise the Airborne div's sitting in England in the Breakout scenario? I am trying to have a play with Air Transport Mode (see my latest new thread question) more to get experience with the screen mechanics but I'm debating whether to use them 'properly' given that they weren't employed historically until Market Garden (AFAIK).

Just wondering if you have deployed them and if so in what capacity? Just as really good leg infantry?

Re this - don't umderestimate their value in an air transport mode. Your tanks capture an airfield and you either want to reinforce (in case of counterattack) or push on but need to secure the supply line. Air transport paras to the base.

Equally you break through a contested front, can only advance one unit but the hex is an air base -- air transport can suddenly convert a vulnerable salient into something very hard to retake.

I tend to constantly reset their targets but rarely use them for airdrops. But the air transport function is invaluable.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I use airtransport for the opposite. Hold a city with an airfield that gets cut off...then fly the FJ paratroopers out when the supplies run low.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Was browsing the forums to glean information and found this thread - and saved it. Lots of good information, I very much appreciate the insights therein.

Mac
LAV-25 2147

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”