newbie refuel

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tonyscrase

newbie refuel

Post by tonyscrase »

i have 2 tankers about 3/4 of the way to the target.
My aircraft go past the tankers, almost get to the target before turning round to go back to the tankers

Any ideas what i am doing wrong

THANK YOU
DWReese

RE: newbie refuel

Post by DWReese »

Planes are pre-set to refuel when necessary by default. I'm not absolutely certain what those parameters are.

That being said, in the Missions area, you will see that planes assigned to various missions can be told when to refuel. You can set the re-fueling to occur at various levels. Such as 50%, or 60%, or 70%, etc. If you want the plane to refuel on the way back, then set it for 50% or so. If you want it to refuel BEFORE it gets to the target, then set it for 80%. Obviously, I am just throwing these numbers out there. You will have to kind of know how much fuel the plane is expected to use, and at what point they should refuel.

With the new rules regarding a plane's ability to defend itself (such as evading missiles), it is sometimes better to have less fuel than more. A plane is more maneuverable with less fuel. If that is the case with you, then you might want to re-fuel on the way home, if that is an option. One downside to this practice, however, is if your tanker is being used to fuel numerous planes and a continuing basis. If the taker constantly refuels the planes going home, which takes more fuel than if the plane is going to the target, then the tanker expends more fuel. As a result, the tanker won't be able to stay aloft as long.

But, if the tanker is there for just this mission, and your planes aren't going to have to evade missiles, etc., then then fueling before or later really isn't an issue. Simply play around with the parameters of instructing your planes when to refuel and you will be fine.

Hopefully, this answered your question.

Doug
TyphoonFr

Post by TyphoonFr »

Without backup file, it's difficult but I try,

Modification of flight plan (speed, distance or altitude) after take-off of planes.

If the flight plan generated by the computer did not need refueling, they are disabled, While your doctrine tells you the opposite.In this case you should have a message telling you, like that :

"13/01/2013 07:47:00 - France] B-52H Stratofortress with loadout Mk82 LDGP, HSAB Pylon, Hi-Hi-Hi on mission Strike sdsd has a doctrine setting that allows air-to-air refuelling (AAR). However the distance to the target is shorter than the aircraft's maximum combat radius with the given weapon loadout and flight profile. As such, AAR is disabled for all waypoints in this flightplan. "

If that's the case, you can not even have them refuel manually or automatically, and you have a message telling you, looking like this:

"[France] The aircraft in group Flight Speed93 can not refuel Reason: Aircraft fefe # 1 has a doctrine setting that disallows air-to-air refueling.As such, the aircraft will not refuel.Change the doctrine setting and try again."

Refueling is disabled for each unit but appears enabled for the group and mission.

So even if the doctrine of the mission and of your group says that refueling is allowed (Refuel / UNREP: allow ", do it, if you look at the doctrine of unit in "unit view" mode it is not.

The solution: after receiving the message indicating the deactivation, in the doctrine of the mission or the group, and you click on the button "Reset affected unit (inherit from above Doctrine)",or you modify "Refuel / UNREP" on each unit ..
Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

There's different ways to handle this. One way, as was already mentioned, is to adjust the mission settings to refuel earlier. Another way is to manually tell the aircraft to refuel before making their final ingress. Another way is to push the tanker further forward to better correspond to when they need to refuel. Another way it to launch the tanker as part of the strike mission, and have them refuel from it as necessary.

There's not a perfect solution, but one of them should prove adequate.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook »

It’d be nice if there was an option “refuel when within X miles of tanker” option, possibly including a “and below Y%” line. That way if a strike is vectored through a tanker orbit, the jets will top off and head out automatically. The game would either not check again until they’re past X miles (say 50) and returned to back within 50. This would take a lot of the micromanagement and/or guesswork out of refueling long range strikes.

Another option I’d like to see implemented would be a limited amount of refuelings or absolute time on station. Right now you can have a single jet on station indefinitely with enough tanker assets. The first suggestion would be more beneficial in my mind though.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”