West Wall - Holland 44

After Action Reports
MikeJ19

West Wall - Holland 44

Post by MikeJ19 »

After some careful deliberation, I have decided to try a slightly big scenario/battle than Market Garden, the liberation of Southern Holland - West Wall Holland 44.

This is a bigger and longer scenario than I have played previously, so it is a new challenge for me. I need to remember that Rome was not built in a day and I do not have to liberate Holland in the first week.

I hope that this will be a fun game and that I will learn some new things.

Let's have some fun!
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

RE: West Wall - Holland 44

Post by MikeJ19 »

Since breaking out from Normandy, the Allies have been rapidly advancing across a wide front pushing the Germans back.
Army Group 21 has reached, for the most part, the pre-war Dutch border. It is time to liberate Holland from the Germans and get a crossing over the Rhine River.

Here is a look at the overall situation on 11 September.

Attachments
WestWall..Allied1.jpg
WestWall..Allied1.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

The map is very large and I will have to break this battle into a number of operations, so for now I will look at the Southern portion of the map. This is a big picture view and when I start planning operations, I will do some closer views.

Attachments
WestWall..Allied2.jpg
WestWall..Allied2.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Thoughts on the Germans

From historical archives:

The German forces throughout the area were a series of Kampfegruppe collected around cadres from the remnants of experienced units.

At Arnhem was the impressive sounding 2nd SS Panzer Korps. But this formation was re-grouping after having been virtually destroyed in Normandy, it consisted of the 9th SS and 10th SS Panzer Divisions, but both formations were virtually without tanks, their only mobile units being their recon battalions.

From the Int on the map:

There is a thin but strong crust of German units directly in front of my forces.

Spread throughout the area are a bunch of German units of mixed sizes and strengths. There is not that many forces identified between Eidnhoven and Nijmegen.

There is a concentration of German units outside of Arnhem.

There are a lot of German forces in the Breskens pocket on the West side of the AO.

What do I expect from the Germans:

A tough defence. I think that they will blow bridges, and defend crossings making me pay to advance.

I think that in the West they will hold on and make me force them out. I expect a battle in the Walcheren Islands.

The Market Garden route will also be a focus for the Germans. I suspect that the 2nd Pz Korps will hang out in that area.

The Germans have an air force in this battle – they have 9 air units (1 bomber, 3 fighter bombers, 1 jet fighter and 4 fighter units). I do not know the number of air planes in each unit. I will have to keep a watch on this.
Mike

Retired Gunner
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I'm glad you chose this one, I've heard good things about it. Thank you ahead of time for the AAR
and I mean no disrespect or derision but I'm thinking you'll find it a much better game if you were
playing a human opponent. But at any rate, have fun and good luck.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Larry,

I think that you are correct, a human opponent would be more challenging. I hope to start trying that in the fall.

This looks like a fun scenario and I think I will enjoy it.

Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Here is a look at what I think are the Allied forces.

I'm not patient enough to work my way through the reinforcements to see whether there are more units coming my way. I think I will create a checklist which will include a look at the reinforcements for the next few days.

I have lots of units. It is surprising, to me, how quickly the 1st (Br) AB Div leaves the battlefield.

Attachments
WestWall..Allied3.jpg
WestWall..Allied3.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

I have been thinking of doing this for a while. Here is the first cut of a turn checklist.

Your input/thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments
WestWall..Allied.jpg
WestWall..Allied.jpg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey Mike:
Some players like to turn all their bombers
to CS during their turn and then just before
they end their turn they put half their bombers
on INT. The problem with that procedure is that
sometimes the turn ends prematurely and as a
consequence there are no bombers on INT at the
end of the turn. I like to assign direct attacks
with my aircraft myself. Helps to keep the INT
planes from attacking AA units, etc.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
700851McCall

Post by 700851McCall »

1st AB withdraws 25th Sep as if you haven't linked up with them by then the operation has failed. Assuming you go with the historical plan, that is.

Not an easy one this, even against the PO.

I like your turn checklist. That's pretty much what I do except I tend to leave moving reinforcements to last unless there is a desperate need for them somewhere.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19

I have been thinking of doing this for a while. Here is the first cut of a turn checklist.

Your input/thoughts are appreciated.

warspite1

I like the idea of formalising a checklist so nothing is forgotten. The only comment I would make is that I switch 1 and 2 around and allow for the playback (although you no doubt have this covered in 2).

So something like:

. Pre. Review the playback.
- check for critical attacks/sneaky enemy moves
- check losses for vulnerable/key hexes

. 1 Review Overall Situation
- what is my supply situation
- Are there any new threats/opportunities as a result of that turn
- Is my plan still on course or does it need revision

. 2 Check reinforcements/withdrawals
- New arrivals/withdrawals
- Scheduled for next few days (longer if req'd)
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Larry,

Thanks for the input on the bombing missions. I have not had to think much about my air force the last two games. In the Falaise pocket, I had a huge amount of Airforce and little threats. As the Germans in Normandy, I had no Air Force. I like the idea of having the bombers supporting my attacks or doing direct attacks as much as possible. I will try to remember to play around with my Air Force.

Have a good day,
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

McCall,

Okay, the withdrawal makes sense now. I'm not sure yet as to how I'm going to fight this battle. However, I doubt that I will try to capture Arnhem that early. Thus, I need to find a location to use 1 AB that gives them a chance to make a difference and that when I lose them does not open up a big hole in my plans.

This is a good challenge.

Thanks for the information,
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Warspite,

Thanks for the suggestion and I will make the changes. It will be interesting if I remember to look at the checklist...
Mike

Retired Gunner
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Good choice I like this scenario will enjoy following it

Sapper32
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Sapper32,

Thanks, the more I look at it, the more I think that I will have lots of fun with it.

Any suggestion you have will be welcome!

All the best,
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

My initial thoughts

I have time.

I need to remember that rest is a weapon to rebuild my units.
I will be running many different operations. So, I will need to take the time to plan these along the way.

Speed kills

So although I have time, I would like to keep up a steady pace of high tempo operations. I need to bring reinforcements in and have them take over the attacks while my tired units rest.

I lose the 1 AB Div on 25 Sep

I need to use them before that date, and hopefully link up.
I could use them to cause the Germans lots of issues and to confuse them as to my overall plan. Sending them deep into Holland with no valid plan to bring them back – say target Arnhem.

Antwerp

Opening up Antwerp is very important, this means that I need to capture Walcheren (which I am assuming means the Islands.) This should improve my supply situation, although it is not a supply source at the moment. So, I’m not really sure what this means.

I have air and sea transport.

I have never tried a sea landing, so this could be lots of fun.
My air transport drops after 27 Sep

Air War

The Germans have an air force. Not sure how strong or powerful, so I need to remember this and plan to attack it and disrupt its activities.

Tenets to think about:

Disrupt. I want to find ways to disrupt the German plans. That could be through

Interdiction, which can slow down their reinforcements and reduce their supplies
Attacking their supply lines directly but cutting them off. This can be done by taking out bridges, having my paras take choke points or my manoeuvre units seizing key ground

Dislocate. How do I make the German plans irrelevant.

Attacking where they are weak, going where they do not expect me. Using my paratroopers to exploit or create weaknesses. I have sea transport capability so landing behind German lines to throw their defences off.

I can try to get them moving toward one threat and then attack elsewhere. The 1st Pz Korps is a unit that I want to find and track and keep busy.

Preempt. Striking when the Germans are not ready, beating them to the punch.

If I can attack before the Germans are ready, I may be able to push through more quickly and with fewer losses.

1st Pz Korps,

I want to find them, track them and destroy them.
If I can keep them busy, I may be able to weaken them through air strikes, artillery strikes and cutting off their supplies, or making them use their supplies trying to race around the battlefield.

Supply

My supply drops on the 27 Sep, as well. This means that early attacks are a good thing. Also, I need to pause to build supply.

The Germans have lots of supply sources all along the East and North edges of the map as well as in Roterdam, Breskens and Walcheren Island. So, to cut off the supplies to the Germans in the Breskens pocket (the area West of Antwerp), I will need to capture Breskens.
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

As I started thinking of courses of action, I was wondering why the Canadians and polish waited until early October to launch their attacks. The I discovered that their supply level is in the 20% range. So, they are tired and need supplies. The Brits and the AB division are around 100%. Same thing for the Air units.

Glad I finally looked!
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Here is a look at the first option. It is based upon the historical plan - except I will not put Arnhem as an objective. Instead, I will likely use the Brits in the middle of the two US Divs. If I decide on this option...

Attachments
WestWall..Allied4.jpg
WestWall..Allied4.jpg (152.83 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Here is a look at Option 2

Attachments
WestWall..Allied5.jpg
WestWall..Allied5.jpg (145.98 KiB) Viewed 647 times