BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kitakami

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Post by Kitakami »

Will check the references.

Meanwhile, I am going through the Thundering Herds (TM). The death by a thousand clicks is taking its toll, I am mentally tired. I will try to get the turn to John today but, if I don't, he will receive it tomorrow.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Will check the references.

Meanwhile, I am going through the Thundering Herds (TM). The death by a thousand clicks is taking its toll, I am mentally tired. I will try to get the turn to John today but, if I don't, he will receive it tomorrow.

Since CR's AAR is extensive and the reference is one line, here is a link to find it: tm.asp?m=4332189&mpage=27&key=#788

Edit: Dang thing won't go to the specific post, # 588 on page 27.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

I have been clicking for a few hours, and I am starting to see double. I am taking a break. Will continue later on.
Man! I had forgotten how many civilian cargo ships the Allies have to order around on turn 2... and tons of them have to move by themselves, not in convoys...
Tenno Heika Banzai!
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I have been clicking for a few hours, and I am starting to see double. I am taking a break. Will continue later on.
Man! I had forgotten how many civilian cargo ships the Allies have to order around on turn 2... and tons of them have to move by themselves, not in convoys...

Don't forget to check each one for conversion potential. Don't want to get your future AKVs and AKEs tied up in supply or troop convoys.
Hans

Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
Don't forget to check each one for conversion potential. Don't want to get your future AKVs and AKEs tied up in supply or troop convoys.
Good point! Will check for all ships that can convert to xAP, AKE, and AKV. Thanks for the reminder!
Tenno Heika Banzai!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
Good point! Will check for all ships that can convert to xAP, AKE, and AKV. Thanks for the reminder!
Others may differ, but I do not find it necessary to make every AKE conversion possible. I do all the AEs and all the xAKs (5200 cap?) that can become 4200 capacity AKEs. After that. perhaps 6-10 of the 4900 capacity xAKs to 3920 capacity AKEs.

All the 5550 ton xAKs become xAPs at 1300/1850 capacity. All the 5860? capacity xAKs become xAPs at 1660/2400 capacity. These two groups are the haulers for infantry units for amphib invasions where there are not enough APs to handle the job.
All the 3900 tonners become xAPs at 100/1200 capacity (decent range and very useful for small BFs, artillery or AA units) and for invasions.
All the 1750 xAKLs become 500/750 capacity xAPs. Only 4000 nm range but very useful for shuttling around construction battalions, small base forces and other small units as you develop groups of islands.

I only do a dozen AGs since most bases get the port built enough to support small fry before I need an AG for the next target. Others say convert them all and continue using them to haul cargo.

I keep the 4175 capacity xAKs as my main amphib cargo/tank/heavy equipment carriers because they can do 14 knots. I believe in minimizing the transit time for troops on ships because of the disruption and morale issues of long voyages, and to minimize the time in range of enemy opposition.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Others may differ, but I do not find it necessary to make every AKE conversion possible. I do all the AEs and all the xAKs (5200 cap?) that can become 4200 capacity AKEs. After that. perhaps 6-10 of the 4900 capacity xAKs to 3920 capacity AKEs.
***** Totally agree. It is the way to replenish the BBs with 16" rifles.
All the 5550 ton xAKs become xAPs at 1300/1850 capacity. All the 5860? capacity xAKs become xAPs at 1660/2400 capacity. These two groups are the haulers for infantry units for amphib invasions where there are not enough APs to handle the job.
***** Will check. I never think about cargo ships in terms of tons. Perhaps I should start :)
All the 3900 tonners become xAPs at 100/1200 capacity (decent range and very useful for small BFs, artillery or AA units) and for invasions.
***** Same as above.
All the 1750 xAKLs become 500/750 capacity xAPs. Only 4000 nm range but very useful for shuttling around construction battalions, small base forces and other small units as you develop groups of islands.
***** Will also check.
I only do a dozen AGs since most bases get the port built enough to support small fry before I need an AG for the next target. Others say convert them all and continue using them to haul cargo.
***** In my game with Falken I have not seen the need for more AGs, but will keep an eye on this, definitely.
I keep the 4175 capacity xAKs as my main amphib cargo/tank/heavy equipment carriers because they can do 14 knots. I believe in minimizing the transit time for troops on ships because of the disruption and morale issues of long voyages, and to minimize the time in range of enemy opposition.
***** Total agreement here.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
Tenno Heika Banzai!
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

***** Will check. I never think about cargo ships in terms of tons. Perhaps I should start :)

And "speed" of cargo ships when forming Task Forces. Sometimes it will matter.
For example: A 10 in a group of 14s can make a difference.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Conversions: As soon as you can, start finding the ships that can convert to ARs "repair ship" and begin converting. They take about a year to do so and you will need them fast, as Japan starts with only a couple ARs

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Conversions: As soon as you can, start finding the ships that can convert to ARs "repair ship" and begin converting. They take about a year to do so and you will need them fast, as Japan starts with only a couple ARs

He is playing as Allies.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

He is playing as Allies.

HA!! HA!!!!

Too funny. I got Japanese on my mine and too many windows open, ...went out the door half dressed.

[:D][:)][;)]

Attachments
Collaborat..r II (1).jpg
Collaborat..r II (1).jpg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 62 times

Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ROFL!!!

I've done worse, so no worries :)
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Drakanel

Post by Drakanel »

I have just read your thread, as well as John's. I am a sucker for double AARs, and so I will follow both sides. As such, my comments will be by necessity "neutered" because I know too much. I am not experienced enough anyway, so my hypothetical suggestions would likely be of no value [:D]

I wish you good luck [8D]
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

@Drakanel, thank you!

Will spend this afternoon on the turn, but I am not certain if I will be able to finish. Although I have gone through this once already, I am not near the level of comfort that I would have it I were playing the Japanese, so I have to check and re check. As an example of why I need to do this, I need to be careful not to suck Cape Town dry of fuel. And like that one, there are a number of things I need to consider. In this mod, the starting supply level in the US is lower than in other mods. Thus, I need to choose between shipping supply out, repairing everything I need to repair, or a bit of both. That tales time, as I have never been faced with that dilemma before.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

@Drakanel, thank you!

Will spend this afternoon on the turn, but I am not certain if I will be able to finish. Although I have gone through this once already, I am not near the level of comfort that I would have it I were playing the Japanese, so I have to check and re check. As an example of why I need to do this, I need to be careful not to suck Cape Town dry of fuel. And like that one, there are a number of things I need to consider. In this mod, the starting supply level in the US is lower than in other mods. Thus, I need to choose between shipping supply out, repairing everything I need to repair, or a bit of both. That tales time, as I have never been faced with that dilemma before.
Way back when, Bullwinkle put me onto using the short ranged ships (xAKLs and small tankers/AOs) to haul from ECUSA to Cape Town because they use no fuel on that route and you don't have to micromanage their port stops. During 1942 when you do not have many islands to support and no major supply bases in SoPac, the small ships are just not needed so much. This really helped with keeping CT from running short of supply and fuel.
Later on when you start reconquering island groups, a few can be brought on map to handle inter-island stuff.
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Way back when, Bullwinkle put me onto using the short ranged ships (xAKLs and small tankers/AOs) to haul from ECUSA to Cape Town because they use no fuel on that route and you don't have to micromanage their port stops. During 1942 when you do not have many islands to support and no major supply bases in SoPac, the small ships are just not needed so much. This really helped with keeping CT from running short of supply and fuel.

Later on when you start reconquering island groups, a few can be brought on map to handle inter-island stuff.
true, and I will do so. Also, I will use the 12-kt and slower tankers on that route. They seem to be too slow to be able to evade raiders.

Ships finished! Now on to air units (especially Pearl Harbour, the Philippines and Malaya).
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

A question... what is the best way to CAP a base two hexes away from the originating airfield?

- CAP at 2 hexes.
- CAP at 0 hexes, with the target set as the airfield I want to protect.
- LRCAP at two hexes.
- LRCAP at 0 hexes, with the target set as the airfield I want to protect.
- Any other?

In general, what I need to do is to protect a number of airfields close to each other the best I can, as any (or several) of them could be hit by air.

Thanks tons!
Tenno Heika Banzai!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

A question... what is the best way to CAP a base two hexes away from the originating airfield?

- CAP at 2 hexes.
- CAP at 0 hexes, with the target set as the airfield I want to protect.
- LRCAP at two hexes.
- LRCAP at 0 hexes, with the target set as the airfield I want to protect.
- Any other?

In general, what I need to do is to protect a number of airfields close to each other the best I can, as any (or several) of them could be hit by air.

Thanks tons!
1. Very good question!
2. The only thing that occurs to me is that if you need to protect both your originating base and the target base, CAP at range 2 would be best. But I would have concerns about CAP dilution over two hexes all round the originating base (some aircraft being four hexes from your target base during their mission).
3. If you have other squadrons to protect your originating base, I would use LRCAP at about 30% setting over the target base.
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Working on the turn. Slow going because of work, but moving ahead.

- A very few land-based air units left.
- Land units still not checked.

The rest has been done, and without carpal tunnel syndrome as the result, so I call this a minor Allied victory!
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

I have sent turn 2 to John. I do not know how I fared, we will see.
Tenno Heika Banzai!

Return to “After Action Reports”