Desert War: What's Next?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
bcgames

Desert War: What's Next?

Post by bcgames »

It has been opined that an Eastern Front 1941-45 game would make way more money than Desert War. Is that true? What do you think? What should be the next game that uses the Desert War game engine? Convince your peers.
Rosseau

RE: Desert War: What's Next?

Post by Rosseau »

As common as EF is, it would be most popular, imo. Normandy is too limited. And nothing against the brave Poles, but please skip Case White. Have played it so many times, in so many games, can do it from memory [;)]
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I think any subject would be worth covering with this innovative game system. But I must agree, WW2 Eastern Front would most likely sell the most. but for me, it needs to be one of the more mobile battles/campaigns. That said, the Campaign in North Africa was the ideal subject for your game system, loads of space, low(ish) unit count.
A Sharif
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

France 1940 would be the same era for equipment and tactics, with variants and hypothetical scenarios for Allied first strike in 1939/40, No Maginot Line, but more mobile Allied forces, or Operation Sealion. Maybe even the military option over Czechoslovakia 1938, no Munich agreement.

East Front WEGO would be good, but to be manageable I guess it would have to be smaller scenarios, or corps size full campaign to keep the unit count down.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well i'll go in my normal direction and say it,

Arnhem,

the bridge to far.

the area and battle i'm the most interested in, and also an area that's not be covered to death by everyone else, time period and maps and size would suit, so what do you think?
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
laska2k8

Post by laska2k8 »

i'll go

- bulge
- italian campaign
- west front

no France
no Poland
"Sa vida pro sa Patria"
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

for operations and more operations, the Eastern Front is the natural setting.

This is due to geographical scale. There is room to make all those cunning plans come to fruition [:)]. The difference between the armies also adds more colour.

All the best,
Kip.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

Eastern Front.

I've always found Market-Garden to be too specific a situation (Main allied force barrelling down single main road and some isolated para landings) to be very interesting.
Royal Fusilier

Post by Royal Fusilier »

Well you have to go East eventually and since the old classic V4V title Velikiye Luki was my first introduction to a WEGO pc game that would be my preference. It is small enough to be manageable while capturing all the intense Eastern Front goodness. Bulge is also a must and Arnhem as well.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,
If you guys wanted to do something different, then Yom Kippur War or NATO v WP Central Front would be great!
We have them here at Matrix and they fly off the shelf in paper and cardboard.
All the best,
Kip.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

I'm really glad that you picked North Africa as the first game with the system; something different. I might have passed this up thinking incorrectly, same old-same old. It's certainly very different IMHO.

The design of this game reminds me of one of my favorite games here at matrix; Kharkov/Across the Dnepr by SSG.[:)] So East Front would be my preference but in all truth, where-ever you go, I will probably follow.

Message edited for atrocious spelling and punctuation [:(]
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

France 1940 has not been done often. So still very interessting.
This and probably Eastern Front Scenarios are my favorites.
V4V comes into my mind.
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

East Front is my favorite. The battles of Kharkov '43, or the Chir River in the winter of '42 come to mind. My next favorite would be the Battle of the Bulge.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

The stats so far...number to the left is Yes/number to the right is No.
Attachments
EFStats_0.jpg
EFStats_0.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Kolbex

Post by Kolbex »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

It has been opined that an Eastern Front 1941-45 game would make way more money than Desert War.

Has the game not been performing well? I've been watching it and this forum with great interest, but I just don't have the money in my budget right now for it at $40. If it goes on sale for $20 eventually I will no longer be able to resist myself. [:D]
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

If dislikes are counted, too, I would like to express my dislike of the "Wacht am Rhein" operation.
Don't hit me [:D], but every third operational wargame is covering this scenario. [:D].

"Fall Gelb" has several advantages:
- British, Belgium, Dutch, French and German troops involved
- Scenario has not beaten to death
- Allied forces are on par (minimum) with the German forces
(quantity and technology wise)
- The knowledge about this campaign is (probably) not so wide spread (we can learn here)

My 2 cents.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

My picks:

France 40
Arnhem
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

While the Eastern Front is an obvious great choice for this game system, so would be the Western Front battles. One shouldn't limit the Western Front to just Normandy or Market Garden. This game system lends itself to modeling many battles from a long campaign. I'd like to see both Normandy and Market Garden battles as part of a Western Front series, plus one shouldn't discount the Italian Front. Perhaps even early battles from 1939 and 1940 in a pack covering Poland and France plus perhaps even Norway or even Greece and Yugoslavia.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I would be disappointed if we started counting No votes, I wouldn't vote 'no' to anything which adds to the library of available games, even if it wasn't a favourite subject.

I like the idea of a pack of early war campaigns, as I have already declared an interest in France 1938/40 - 'Sealion', the equipment and tactics are similar to the existing game, although Allied performance is generally so poor that there could be game balance issues.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

It has been opined that an Eastern Front 1941-45 game would make way more money than Desert War. Is that true? What do you think? What should be the next game that uses the Desert War game engine? Convince your peers.

As a gamer, As stated previously, Eastern Front is my favorite. I agree with the statement that a Eastern Front game would make more money than a Desert War game. I have no data to back this up, it is just a gut feeling from playing these games for many years. I also really like the Desert game, and I am very imersed in this one.

I would like to add on to that original question. Is there another WWII front that would do better than the Eastern Front. Not sure, but I would guess a Normandy, Market Garden, or Buldge game would be close since those may be most recognizable names to newcomers. I would guess a game developer would like to appeal to as broad a base of customers as possible.

I do like the thought of a Tunisia, or Sicily game, but I think the next one should be one of the big hitters, Eastern Front (Stalingrad - Not city battle, maybe 6th Army relief attempt, etc., Kharkov 42, 43, Smolensk, Battle for Moscow, Operation Typhoon would be great!!!), Normandy (Mortain, Epson, Dautless), Market Garden (I do like the Hells Highway actions) or Buldge.

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”