Operational or tactical level of warfare

Thoughts from the dev team on Strategic Command's features.
jlopez

Operational or tactical level of warfare

Post by jlopez »

Playing the game I've come to realize that while we are playing at an operational level with corps and armies the combat system is actually giving results you would find at the lower tactical level say in combats involving infantry battalions or tank regiments.

For example, it is absurd for an army to attack another, move away and be replaced by another which then also launches an attack. All this within the space of a week. It just didn't happen. What makes it worse is that because of the I go then you go turn system, the defender is unable to react.

I can see why you've done it as it makes an otherwise boring, attritional level of warfare more exciting. Unfortunately, it makes for a rather poor simulation.

A simple example to illustrate my point are anti-tank units. When you are playing with corps and armies, anti-tank units shouldn't even be shown on the map as they would be integral parts of said formations. Wouldn't it be easier to have anti-tank capability added to units in much the same way as AA capability? It would also make researching AT useful. If you choose not to invest in it and/or not equip your infantry units with AT then your units will get overrun by enemy armour.

If you are interested in ideas for making it more realistic, let me know.
sPzAbt653

RE: Operational or tactical level of warfare

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well, it's a Strategic Game, not a Tactical or Operation Simulation.

However, some others as well as you have recognized these factors and more and there are Mods available with various choices. This thanks totally to Hubert and Bill, who designed a game that is flexible an accessible. For example, a few of your concerns are addressed in the 653N Mod [:)]
Christolos

RE: Operational or tactical level of warfare

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: jlopez
For example, it is absurd for an army to attack another, move away and be replaced by another which then also launches an attack. All this within the space of a week. It just didn't happen. What makes it worse is that because of the I go then you go turn system, the defender is unable to react.

The ability of units to do this can sort of be thought of as being equivalent to having attacking units stacked in the same hex. The only problem with this is that the defender can't do the same. It would be nice if defending units in the rear could be placed in some sort of 'Strategic Reserve mode' (like Local reserve mode in TOAW, but at the strategic level...) so that they could react and replace defending units during the attacker's turn...[8|]

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

Return to “Developer Blog”