my first time thru...your thoughts

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

pbcrnk

my first time thru...your thoughts

Post by pbcrnk »

My first campaign after tackling the starter scenarios...almost thru summer of 1942. Captured Moscow summer 41 but not Leningrad. So first objective was Leningrad then I formed my strategy based on that happening. I had reached out for guidance and to my delight there were no "you must capture city X or advance in direction Y" comments so since my armor and infantry strength was due north I based my '42 strategy around encircle and kill. Thus I've spent my summer campaign of '42 in the center doing just that.I have been following the AAR with Stef78 and Stelteck (which is excellent BTW) and though I didn't get Stalingrad and get to the gates of Baku like Stef78 did I did manage to whittle the Soviets down more.

So my question to the people is was this a good strategy? I realize I didn't capture a ton of territory to trade off but am hoping that the trade off with a reduced Soviet army may be an equalizer. I also realize that the Soviets grow soldiers like weeds...I just want to go into '43 on more equal footing. Any observations, comments, criticisms or "atta a boys" appreciated.

Screen of mentioned AAR OOB added for comparison.

Attachments
post.jpg
post.jpg (284.94 KiB) Viewed 125 times
pbcrnk

RE: my first time thru...your thoughts

Post by pbcrnk »

Captured units
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

captured units

Attachments
post1.jpg
post1.jpg (182.43 KiB) Viewed 123 times
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

OOB

Attachments
post2.jpg
post2.jpg (176.47 KiB) Viewed 123 times
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

Frozen frogs AAR OOB added for comparison

Attachments
post3.jpg
post3.jpg (213.39 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Is that turn 64? The turn number is a bit too small to read easily so you may have to confirm it for us.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

yes 64...Sept 3 1942.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Well 4.9 mil Soviets at that stage is very manageable so like you said even with less of a buffer I imagine 43 will be alright for you buddy!
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

This is against the AI?

The Russian AI is OK, not great. Better than the German AI. You might want to consider a game against a live opponent. It goes more slowly since you have to wait for turns, but the challenge will be greater. Following up on conversations with Telemecus, you could insist on some play balancing measures to even things out against an experienced opponent, like a reduction of their AP (a real handicap for the Russians in 1941).

Another thing I did whilst learning the game was play two-handed, that is, hit end turn as one side, then load up as the other side. Kind of hard to mislead yourself or hide your plans, but you get a better idea of what both sides are capable of.
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

This is against the AI?

The Russian AI is OK, not great. Better than the German AI. You might want to consider a game against a live opponent. It goes more slowly since you have to wait for turns, but the challenge will be greater. Following up on conversations with Telemecus, you could insist on some play balancing measures to even things out against an experienced opponent, like a reduction of their AP (a real handicap for the Russians in 1941).

Another thing I did whilst learning the game was play two-handed, that is, hit end turn as one side, then load up as the other side. Kind of hard to mislead yourself or hide your plans, but you get a better idea of what both sides are capable of.

Plan on finding a human opponent after this. Wanted to do a run thru before I get my ass handed to me.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

OK, well let us know. Anybody here would be happy to give you an outing and offer some balance provisions.
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

The game is a balancing act between pocketing units and capturing territory, as Axis it is a fine art getting it right between the two in '41 and '42. Both require full on aggression as there is no time to waste. The Soviets have the same balancing act, preserving their army without giving up too much territory. You look to have done a good job and should be in a winning position.

Playing a human opponent is a different game, there are many tactics that the AI does not use and opponents are very variable. Happy Hunting and expect a few setbacks...

The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

The games against the AI although give you a chance to learn mechanics. This game is extremely complicated. The UI is not intuitive and the most complicated of mechanics are well hidden. If you are operating at a level of pushing units and your opponent is optimizing airframes and TO&E you are most likely to be dominated.
So for example, see Telemecus 8MP AAR or my 2x3 AAR and look at some of the airwar mechanics. Moving airbases, using staging bases, swapping airframes in units that will withdraw, bombing different things.

The other mechanic that you might explore is supply. How far mechanized can operate from a rail head. have you explored building railheads?

Have you experimented with SU's and which ones use the less ammo but are effective and which ones will bust a urban fortified zone?

Just a couple of things to experiment vs the AI.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

It's fine for a first campaign if you're playing vanilla settings.

As already said the game is very complex and it's hard to manage as german HQBU, supply, efficient rail repair...

Now you shoud try a human. An average human player is far better than the AI
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

The other mechanic that you might explore is supply. How far mechanized can operate from a rail head. have you explored building railheads?

Have you experimented with SU's and which ones use the less ammo but are effective and which ones will bust a urban fortified zone?

Just a couple of things to experiment vs the AI.

no and no...will check those out. Railhead info in the manual?
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

end of summer pocket west of Boguchar.

Attachments
pocket.jpg
pocket.jpg (378.03 KiB) Viewed 125 times
beender

Post by beender »

ORIGINAL: pbcrnk

end of summer pocket west of Boguchar.

AI or not, this is a very beautifully made pocket. Never achieved such "standard" encirclement myself, let alone so neatly organized command chain.

By the way you might want to adjust the size of the screenshot as there are a lot of white space in the pic.
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

Middle of Sept so I figure I have 4 weeks of good weather before mud. Actually took a week to set the whole 9th Army on the north edge along with 2nd and 3rd Panzer Armies. Was only able to get about 2 inf corps from 11th Army set to open the south up for 1st Panzer Army. By the size of the pocket I'm hoping to bag 1/2 million. I know I wouldn't be able to set this pocket against a human opponent but I will enjoy this.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”