Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Sugar

RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis)

Post by Sugar »

Despite all rumors I never had all bombers in NA, usually not more than available after Fall Gelb.
nnason

Post by nnason »

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva
ORIGINAL: Ktonos

So it was indeed a Maginot major offensive and not a faint

I guess early game is like 1-1, France surrender at July the latest, but USSR with one foot into the party.

PS; I'love to see the Sea Lion or not Sea Lion poker game in this one.

Speaking of which... Third diplohit, USSR at 55%. (in May 1940!) [X(]

3 hits on 3 chits (450Mpp) in what 10 12 turns that is BEYOND AMAZING! Statistically should have been one hit. Has anyone else seen this with diplo with the USSR?
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

He had a 30% chance during 3 consecutive turns, and several other turns with lower chances before, followed by 1 turn at 25 and another at 20% achieving no hit at all. I wouldn't call that incredibly lucky, and alltogether he achieved 1 more hit than likely. My counter was also a gamble, and still is.

From my experience I'd say the chances equal the opportunities; but they actually do have the potential to achieve decisive advantages. In my current match against WarBaron I achieved 4 hits at Spain in 4 consecutive turns, and 2 more at Turkey in another 2 consecutive turns, with a probability of 10 and 5%. Spain joined the Axis the moment France surrendered.

In the next patch costs for influencing Majors will increase to 175 MPPs. From my perspective this part of the game is reasonable, reminding war not to be an example of pure calculation.

Aug. 40: units of the Luftwaffe together with some of the Regia Marina sunk 1 brit. battleship and 1 battlecruiser at the libyan coast. Units of the R.A.F. attacked an italian HQ south of Tobruk, achieving 1 hit. A counterattack of 2 italian armies lead to the destruction of a brit. garrison; 2 brit. tanks were spotted in the second row. Commando Supremo is discussing a withdraw in face of possibly overwhelming powers.
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

He had a 30% chance during 3 consecutive turns, and several other turns with lower chances before, followed by 1 turn at 25 and another at 20% achieving no hit at all. I wouldn't call that incredibly lucky, and alltogether he achieved 1 more hit than likely. My counter was also a gamble, and still is.

From my experience I'd say the chances equal the opportunities; but they actually do have the potential to achieve decisive advantages. In my current match against WarBaron I achieved 4 hits at Spain in 4 consecutive turns, and 2 more at Turkey in another 2 consecutive turns, with a probability of 10 and 5%. Spain joined the Axis the moment France surrendered.

In the next patch costs for influencing Majors will increase to 175 MPPs. From my perspective this part of the game is reasonable, reminding war not to be an example of pure calculation.

The change will have another unintended effect. It's going to be clear from the get-go when people spend on a major when they see 175 mpp of diplo showing up on the report ledger.
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

"From my experience I'd say the chances equal the opportunities; but they actually do have the potential to achieve decisive advantages. In my current match against WarBaron I achieved 4 hits at Spain in 4 consecutive turns, and 2 more at Turkey in another 2 consecutive turns, with a probability of 10 and 5%. Spain joined the Axis the moment France surrendered." Sugar

So you are playing someone that allowed you to have Spain join the Axis thru Diplomacy on the fall of France. No need for player ranking here.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Next time someone is asking for a match I will undoubtly ask you for permission at first.
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

[:)]
Harun

Post by Harun »

How can he know what someone will do or not do?

I have enjoyed all the tips and could see someone blow off Diplo against the AI. (Though Fall Weiss makes you regret doing that!) Then they play first PBEM and they get schooled. It happens.
Harun

Post by Harun »

The main point is even low % can hit, each turn.

I played a game where the Italian frogmen succeeded 6 times!
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

[:)]
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

I've got nothing against a Sugar hate parade, pvtBenjamin. But this is a family friendly AAR, can we do that elsewhere?
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

I deleted the posts which were much less confrontational than the banter between you and Sugar in this thread above but it is your game.

If you call that friendly I wouldn't want to see un friendly.

[:-]
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin

I deleted the posts which were much less confrontational than the banter between you and Sugar in this thread above but it is your game.

If you call that friendly I wouldn't want to see un friendly.

[:-]

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. [:)]
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

When Italy declared war some british commander were a little overeager to test their mettle against the Italians. Report were saying they were unprepared (150 mpp in tech total) so they rushed to bardia to set it up as a base for further advances. While they were expecting 4 armies (and a tank sigthed in Tobruk) the disposition of the Italian army caught the british offguard as they were not expecting such an aggressive posture. At that moment the two tank corps were still in the rear being refited with new tank of french inspired design, bundled with copies of 'Vers l'armée de métier' by De Gaulle. Mercifully, the Italian did not strike and the british force marched a garrison to protect the flank of the southern army and hold the line while the tank corps were catching up to the front line troops.

Aug 25th

The Italians struck first, destroying the garrison but the British counterattacked destroying an army and forcing another to withdraw from their defensive line (at str 3).
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Early sept. 40: a brit. cruiser was sunk by a german mar. bomber north of Bengasi, thereby ending the blockade of vital libyan ports. Ital. tank- and inf.-forces attacked a brit army west of Tobruk, dealing 6 points of damage while receiving 4. Commando Supremo ordered a partial withdraw.

The race to Bengasi has started.
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

Damn the range on those maritime bombers. The Malta effect will have to take it from here... [:)]

The brits destroys another army and occupies positions south of Tobruk, the siege of the fortress-city begins. Graziani HQ comes under heavy fire.

1940/9/8

KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

What to do with the DAK?

Depending on who holds what in NA, the DAK spawns in different places.

Tripoli (Allied) + Gazala (Allied) = Trieste
Tripoli (Allied) = Benghazi
Tripoli (Axis) + Gazala (Axis) = Benghazi
Tripoli (Axis) + Gazala (Allied) = Tripoli
etc.

This means it's possible to game the system to get the DAK to spawn in a favorable spot. Example, if I omit to take Gazala, take the cities behind it and reduce Benghazi's port and city to 0. The DAK spawns trapped and crippled. Sugar could still select not to spawn the DAK but given they appear on his turn he could operate the plane out, and by itself is still worth the price because it allows him to go over the unit limit. While it's not game breaking (like taking all of the UK but not London) but it still feels cheap as heck.

What says you, dear reader? Should I take Gazala or not? (Sugar, you can chime in too)
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I agree that it is a bit over the top.
It's potentially even worse as I think there might also be a program bug, that if there aren't hexes to spawn in the right area the units never even show up. I read that on a thread here some time ago.
If you do this, you would have to be sure there is no chain of HQs that would put them in supply to one of the towns along the road.
Even if they were in supply, most of the units are half strength, you could hurt them as they have to choose between reinforcing and moved.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

Seems to me you should only not take it if none of your troops go west of Gazala.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

You should use every opportunity you possibly could to your advantage, I would undoubtly do the same.

Return to “After Action Reports”