EMP on Levin

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

EMP on Levin

Post by demyansk »

I am watching Peter Pry talking about EMP and our electrical grid. He just wrote a book called Blackout Wars. This is crazy, wow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__C5rpgpQ34
Poopyhead

RE: EMP on Levin

Post by Poopyhead »

Three billion dollars worth of Farraday cages might harden the transformers, but all of the other electronics would still fry from an EMP. All of the planes would still fall out of the sky. All of the transmission lines would still be wasted. People would still starve in the millions. This is the $100 billion solution to solar super storms:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... oment.html
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I tend to eye roll at this sort of thing. Remember how "Experts" said after Y2K that it might be years before we had power back? And not a thing happened.

If Im wrong, well it will be a good day to die.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

I tend to eye roll at this sort of thing. Remember how "Experts" said after Y2K that it might be years before we had power back? And not a thing happened.

This is a point of view really on the edge. "Nothing happened" because it was a non-problem or because they worked hard to fix it before it happened?

I remember when there was the "SARS panic". In my daughters' schools there were panels explaining how to maintain maximum hygiene and avoid germ transmission. When nothing happened the SARS peril was derided, with people noticing - and here is the key point - how "even the normal flu, that year, was almost a non-event". One wonders why...

Edit: typos.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Yes, an EMP-inducing nuclear airburst above CONUS would be damaging to electronics. Also scary would be a number of nuclear fireballs atop our cities or military installations. They're both iterations of awful acts of war and would presage the nuclear annihlation that would befall the perpetrators. I'm not sure that one is 'worse' than the other.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

However, with all the money we waste, it would be good to have these protections. I lived through the blackout in NYC. It was total anarchy. Even a solar emp, let's have the protection. It's pennies on the dollar. We could have used all that Iranian money for this.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Y2K was its own experiment. The issues arising in countries that did little to nothing about it, like Italy and South Korea were much the same as countries that spent $ billions.
Will_L

Post by Will_L »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

However, with all the money we waste, it would be good to have these protections. I lived through the blackout in NYC.
It was total anarchy. Even a solar emp, let's have the protection. It's pennies on the dollar.
We could have used all that Iranian money for this.

Which blackout was that? The 1977 one? Yeah, there were problems in some parts of the city but in Laurelton
where I lived and still live we had no problems. It turned out to be a pleasant social event on my block,
neighbors sitting outside and chatting by lamplight or candles through the evening. No chaos and no violence, saw that on
the news and in the papers from other areas of the city over the next few days. Most of the city didn't have any problems.
was Will_L for a while.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Oh well, we could all go to the Wasteland Fest [:D]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEzStQjD8SM&t=85s

Red
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

ORIGINAL: ezz

Y2K was its own experiment. The issues arising in countries that did little to nothing about it, like Italy and South Korea were much the same as countries that spent $ billions.
Don't think they had quite as much unique legacy software to up-grade that wasn't already being done elsewhere.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

NYC went bonkers and out snowflakes couldn't last ten minutes without the smart phone = chaos
Will_L

Post by Will_L »

That was the last one, it was kind of funny to see how poorly people handled that.
I was off and went to stay with friends further out on Long Island.
There were extended power outages in the Astoria area a few years ago that were a pain in the
nether regions for the residents and stores, ConEd really dropped the ball then.
was Will_L for a while.

Return to “General Discussion”