shore launched torpedoes.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ericv

shore launched torpedoes.

Post by ericv »

Browsing the messages the game can generate, I came across :

"..shore launched torpedoes in the water!!.."

I have never experienced that nor am I aware of an AAR where that happened. Just out of plain curiousity: has anyone ever seen this message in game?

Dili

RE: shore launched torpedoes.

Post by Dili »

You can add a torped to a land unit, but from it gets the ammunition or does not need it?

It could be also one of those game ideas that authors wanted but not finished.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

The Norwegians sank the German cruiser Blucher with shore launched torpedoes. I don't know of them being installed in any Pacific bases.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

So, some sort of coastal defence? What units would have the device? Has anyone looked for it?
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

So, some sort of coastal defence? What units would have the device? Has anyone looked for it?
Most likely intended for a Naval Fort on a narrow strait. I have never seen torpedo tubes listed as a device for LCUs in the game, so I think it was likely something the developers were investigating but decided it was not worth putting in the game. Some Naval Forts need all the slots they have just to list their CD and AA guns plus support and engineers.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: ericv

Browsing the messages the game can generate, I came across :

"..shore launched torpedoes in the water!!.."

I have never experienced that nor am I aware of an AAR where that happened. Just out of plain curiousity: has anyone ever seen this message in game?

Did you actually see this message flash across the screen during turn resolution or in a saved combat report? Or are you merely looking inside the stored string messages.

AE retains hooks for things which are not implemented in the game.

Alfred
ericv

Post by ericv »

The message didn't appear in game as you suspect. I came across it while looking at the stored string messages.

Apparently some provisions were made for these never implemented features.

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

AndyMac's Ironman scenarios vs Japanese AI have some Home Islands CD units with Shin'yo devices that act as shore torpedoes in the game. I did not have a lot of opportunities to see them launched though because I landed on HI earlier than device became available
Dili

Post by Dili »

So they act like torpedo devices in game?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”