A couple of questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Iorwerth

A couple of questions

Post by Iorwerth »

Played this game a while ago for a little bit, but most of what I knew I have forgotten! I have been reading 'Russia at War, 1941-1945: A History' by Alexander Werth, as it was dirt cheap on the kindle, and it has fired me up to give the game another go. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there an up-to-date manual? I know there are patch notes etc, but when you trying to learn how this monster works, understanding patch notes is a step to far when you are struggling to get the basics down. With so many changes it is worrying that when reading the manual much of it may be out of date and I wouldn't know, so we would be starting from a wonky base. So is there a current manual?

2. Is there going to be a new version of the game in the near future?

Telemecus

RE: A couple of questions

Post by Telemecus »

1 Unfortunately no - there is a condensed updated manual (still not totally up to date) and worth checking things like the Library of WitE resources here. But in the sense of one single trusted latest source no. The nearest you can get is searching patch notes/ forums - or even asking questions. Otherwise part of the fun (frustration) of the game is discovering the rules just after you actually needed to know them!

2 Yes
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

Thanks for the reply. A real shame there is no up-to-date manual. It is slightly off putting to be honest, as even knowing what questions to ask is difficult.

Any ETA on when the new game might be making an appearance?

EDIT: any good youtube videos I should check out to get me up to speed?

Also, are there any mods I should be thinking of using to improve the experience?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

If you mean V1.11.02 very soon - they have even been publishing details on it ahead of it coming out tm.asp?m=3243508
If you mean V2.0 which is really a whole new game next year I expect

There are good videos MaruaderPL jumps to mind. There is also another set from I think NightPhoenix.

The only mods seem to be map mods - not used them myself so far. It would be possible to create interesting new scenarios - but not seen many (any?) of them myself.
Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

Thanks for the info. I have found NightPhoenix so will have a look (haven't been able to find MaruaderPL on youtube).

Not sure the link you gave was the right one - couldn't see info on the new patch in it.

Out of interest, which patch notes do I need to look at if I have the manual that comes with the game (I bought the game on steam, but think it probably has the normal game manual)? DO I need to go through all of them?!? Also presume that all I really need to go through are the new features, and not all the other things (new features seem an endless list anyway!).
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

At this point, the best way to learn is by doing. Read the manual for basic mechanics but think of the game as a black box. You will learn by doing. I wrote a little beginning player intro thing that is on the "WitE resources" thread stickied in the War Room section.
Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

Thanks for the advice! I did play the game around 3 years ago for a bit, but have forgotten most of it.

Any ideas about what scenario would be a useful and interesting one to get me back into the game?

I have a recollection that the things that confused me before was the air war and getting support units into the right divisions. Any useful tips to give me a good start?
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: Iorwerth

Thanks for the advice! I did play the game around 3 years ago for a bit, but have forgotten most of it.

Any ideas about what scenario would be a useful and interesting one to get me back into the game?

I have a recollection that the things that confused me before was the air war and getting support units into the right divisions. Any useful tips to give me a good start?

Road to Leningrad is a good learning scenario as the germans. Regarding support units, I would advice you to directly attach to panzer and motorized infantry units piooneer and motorized anti air support units. In 1941 dont give panzerkorps artillery units. It is usually useless, as your pnazer units will make lots of hasty attacks, where SUs not directly attached to the divisions will never participate in combat.

Beyond that, I usually try to give infantry corps a mix of artillery SUs, anit air SUs and at least one stug or flammepanzer unit. For units that are going to participate in urban or fort combat try to attach them several piooneer SUs.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: No idea

Road to Leningrad is a good learning scenario as the germans. Regarding support units, I would advice you to directly attach to panzer and motorized infantry units piooneer and motorized anti air support units. In 1941 dont give panzerkorps artillery units. It is usually useless, as your pnazer units will make lots of hasty attacks, where SUs not directly attached to the divisions will never participate in combat.

Beyond that, I usually try to give infantry corps a mix of artillery SUs, anit air SUs and at least one stug or flammepanzer unit. For units that are going to participate in urban or fort combat try to attach them several piooneer SUs.

If a HQ unit starts 3 hexes away from the attack SU’s could join a hasty attack. Not to be counted on but possible.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

I use the condense manual: tm.asp?m=3862472

it's very easy to use and has almost all the information you need, more in depth and complicated stuff, you should ask other players, there is a discord server for the WitE where a lot of experts hang around [:D]
https://discord.gg/vB6Ezt

Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

If a HQ unit starts 3 hexes away from the attack SU’s could join a hasty attack. Not to be counted on but possible.

really?
for my rule of thumb, I just make sure not to move the HQ at all until all hasty attacks are done.
Never noticed a SU supporting an hasty attack after movement, but I do mostly play the Soviets now.
Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

ORIGINAL: Mamluke

I use the condense manual: tm.asp?m=3862472

it's very easy to use and has almost all the information you need, more in depth and complicated stuff, you should ask other players, there is a discord server for the WitE where a lot of experts hang around [:D]
https://discord.gg/vB6Ezt

Thank you for the invite - much appreciated! Going to take me a bit of time to figure out how that site works I think.

I will also download the condense manual.

I also found links to some articles on the Strategy Gamer website. Here is a link to one on Aircraft Basics. Not sure how out of date it is:

http://thestrategygamer.com/2015/08/02/ ... ft-basics/
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I also found links to some articles on the Strategy Gamer website. Here is a link to one on Aircraft Basics. Not sure how out of date it is:
http://thestrategygamer.com/2015/08/02/ ... ft-basics/
Just scanning over it it seems to be OK in terms of explaining the mechanics of doing air operations. However some of the rules about first mission restrictions are certainly out of date. That has changed a lot. So for instance you can only do two bombings per hex now, and only bomb airfields with your first 33% of air miles. On the other hand you can do city bombing any time and not just as a first mission etc.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

My understanding was that SU's could only join a hasty attack if the HQ had not yet moved in the turn. So make sure your offensive HQ's are right up front at the end of the turn when planning to attack next turn.
No idea

Post by No idea »

I thought it was 5 hexes away AND before moving, once it moves no SUs. That is why I think it is better to give your art units to infantey corps during 1941.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Right - if you give Art SU's to an armored corps HQ, they will only support hasty attacks taking place within 5 hexes and only if the HQ has not moved. So you put your armored HQ's right up front, then for 40 klicks into the Russian position, that artillery can support the armored attacks. Hopefully, the good Soviet defenses are not more than 40 klicks deep...

Then, you move your HQ up to somewhere within 5 hexes of all the units in its corps so those artillery can help defend if the Russians counter-attack to try to pierce the pocket.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

I thought it was 5 hexes away AND before moving, once it moves no SUs. That is why I think it is better to give your art units to infantey corps during 1941.

My bad -- I was thinking reserve commitment which is 6 on defense and 3 on the attack.(15.5.1)
But I did not mention movement. So if on the beginning of the turn the armor executes a hasty attack -- artillery might join in.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”