I Remember When...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Lobster

RE: I Remember When...

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I am moist with anticipation.....

[&:] That sounds better if your girlfriend says that.

[:D][:D][:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

I am moist with anticipation.....

Old gamers have dirty minds. The older, the dirtier?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

It was a line delivered by the gorgeous Daryl Hannah from the underrated film Roxanne but whateves as the kids say.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I remember when my DOS 486DX was the best PC gaming rig on my side of town.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I remember when my DOS 486DX was the best PC gaming rig on my side of town.
Congratz. My dad bought 40 MHz 386. I played Doom on it. We skipped 486 entirely and went straight for 75 MHz Pentium in 1997. I played Quake II through on it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i don't have the ability to remember all those i had, as at the time i worked weekends at a computer shop so tended to swap and change more often than most, so at the time seems to have almost everything that was going, or so my mum and dad thought, as it wasn't many months before something new came out and i'd spent more than i'd earned on some newer tech but always got a fair wack for what i was getting rid of also, as someone else was always upgrading so it wasn't a loss, sometimes i made more often than not i got my money back, which was good at the time as i got it for cost most of the time working there so when it came to sell, there was enough of a mark up to get some of the later tech at less cost than most at the time could afford.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I remember making tanks from flat card using outline prints and playing with "Advanced Rules" using a logarithmic scale for distance designed by a Polish wargamer called Bish Iwaszko:

http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.uk/ ... %20Iwaszko

And making lead soldiers with moulds out of bathroom sealant.
berto

Post by berto »

Before pre-printed hex sheets were available (?), with aid of a plastic template, I remember devoting hours and hours hand drawing thousands of hexes when making my own games.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

Richthofens War was easy. It was short battles, no packup. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171 ... hofens-war

But Avalon Hill Blitzkrieg was a nightmare. Games took weeks and it was a dog tail magnet! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4168/blitzkrieg

But, computers didn't solve everything, as anyone who has lost a savegame file will know!
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I remember playing "War of the Ring" by Richard Berg over and over, thinking "There must be a more immersive way to simulate a Fellowship of Heroes with a Mission, crossing hostile lands full of monsters and encounters". A year later I smashed (literally!) my head against a scaffold in my FLGS full of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons volumes (*) and my second passion was born.

(*) My RPG of choice remains Call of Cthulhu, though.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
UP844

Post by UP844 »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

I remember the gamemaster warning us, after years of playing D&D: "Don't get too attached to your player characters".
A few minutes into our first CoC adventure we boldly charged into a temple located in an Arctic wasteland, dedicated to One That Has Not To Be Named. The only survivor was the guy who was holding our sleds, who ran away as soon as he heard shrieks coming from inside the temple [:D].
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Never played the RPG, though I have some experience about Arkham Horror and Elder Sign. But here is an interesting story about Cthulhu RPG. Right up there with Tucker's kobolds.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: UP844

I remember the gamemaster warning us, after years of playing D&D: "Don't get too attached to your player characters".
A few minutes into our first CoC adventure we boldly charged into a temple located in an Arctic wasteland, dedicated to One That Has Not To Be Named. The only survivor was the guy who was holding our sleds, who ran away as soon as he heard shrieks coming from inside the temple [:D].

I could go on for pages and pages with the "Suggestions for the CoC player fresh from D&D":

- If you get a letter from an "old friend" burn it; like: right now.
- Don't try to solve everything: opening the wrong tomb can save your life...
- If you start a shootout you have already lost.
- If another player says "I ready my weapon!", just scatter.
- Anyway, also if you just see something you have already lost.
- Half-seen things cost you more sanity than things in full light.
- A nuked Cthulhu is just a radioactive Cthulhu (this is an official rule, BTW).
- Bring with you a small gun. If chased, shoot a companion in the legs and hope for the best.
- Don't whine if bringing dynamite on a commercial plane causes you trouble.
- Knowing ancient Greek and/or Latin is the highway to insanity.
- Illiteracy is a shield of sorts.
- Some corners just aren't.
- When you cast a spell, you will always suffer the double of what you gain.
- If you interrupt a ritual held by the evildoers, something will get free and distribute pain and insanity without making distinctions.
- If someone says "What a strange scroll... It only says 'Hastur, Hastur, Hastur..." just fold and roll new characters.
- If someone acts "So to die in a blaze of glory!" he will get the death - the blaze of glory will go to the monster(s).
- Lovecraftian monsters will put question marks around the concept of "holy weapon/water".

And on, and on [:D]

SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

Squad Leader, World in Flames, ETO/PTO...even such treats as 'The General' and SS Amerika. I still have so many wargames in their boxes it is ridiculous. Then I bought some from GMT a few years ago, and realised what the hell am I going to do with these? No opponents any more....

And the Cat...what a weapon of mass destruction that thing was...or the dreaded open window on a windy day! [X(]

Good times.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: SapperAstro

Squad Leader, World in Flames, ETO/PTO...even such treats as 'The General' and SS Amerika. I still have so many wargames in their boxes it is ridiculous. Then I bought some from GMT a few years ago, and realised what the hell am I going to do with these? No opponents any more....

And the Cat...what a weapon of mass destruction that thing was...or the dreaded open window on a windy day! [X(]

Good times.

I do love the OCS system, but, even if I have the physical game, I play it on VASSAL. The "gaming table" is reserved for games that can be completed at most in one week end.

Pity, because the sight of a map under a plexiglass sheet with the counters neatly cut on it is always a thing of beauty.

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: UP844

I could go on for pages and pages with the "Suggestions for the CoC player fresh from D&D":

- If you get a letter from an "old friend" burn it; like: right now.
- Don't try to solve everything: opening the wrong tomb can save your life...
- If you start a shootout you have already lost.
- If another player says "I ready my weapon!", just scatter.
- Anyway, also if you just see something you have already lost.
- Half-seen things cost you more sanity than things in full light.
- A nuked Cthulhu is just a radioactive Cthulhu (this is an official rule, BTW).
- Bring with you a small gun. If chased, shoot a companion in the legs and hope for the best.
- Don't whine if bringing dynamite on a commercial plane causes you trouble.
- Knowing ancient Greek and/or Latin is the highway to insanity.
- Illiteracy is a shield of sorts.
- Some corners just aren't.
- When you cast a spell, you will always suffer the double of what you gain.
- If you interrupt a ritual held by the evildoers, something will get free and distribute pain and insanity without making distinctions.
- If someone says "What a strange scroll... It only says 'Hastur, Hastur, Hastur..." just fold and roll new characters.
- If someone acts "So to die in a blaze of glory!" he will get the death - the blaze of glory will go to the monster(s).
- Lovecraftian monsters will put question marks around the concept of "holy weapon/water".

And on, and on [:D]

[:D]

Thank you for the good laugh. I needed it. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

It was a line delivered by the gorgeous Daryl Hannah from the underrated film Roxanne but whateves as the kids say.
I re-watched that movie a couple of months ago. I missed that line the second time as well.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Icier

Post by Icier »

I started with 25m soldiers that had to be painted...terrain that had to be created, 3-6 diced to be bought and rules
to be studied. ( thank you Donald Featherstone).
graduated with an Apple 2c computer & lots & lots SSi games..my favorite being Carries @ War as it was one of the first
that you could create your own scenario ...mine was the invasion of Darwin.
Currently playing WITE & Strategic Command.
However the most enjoyable game for me was a little cheapie SSI game called Germany turns East..the reason being is that you
could direct what type of study you wanted( plane/tanks/guns) & where you devoted your finance to produce these items...like
a spread of different tanks or just 1 model.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Return to “General Discussion”