Windows 'Update' Soon

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Lobster

RE: Windows 'Update' Soon

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

ORIGINAL: Lobster

The 1/18/2018 version 1709 has caused our desktop to spontaneously reboot a couple of times a week and we still have not found a way around that. [:@]
version 1709 has caused our desktop to spontaneously reboot a couple of times

go to Power Options, then "Choose What The Power Button Does", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable" then UNCHECK "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" then hit "save changes". SHUT DOWN the computer completely, then turn it back on. Something about that setting causes fatal errors, changing may help you, and worth a try anyway as you have nothing to loose.

good luck

Well zak, we did what you suggested and have not had a spontaneous reboot since. I guess that did the trick. Thanks for the tech hint. You da man.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no problem, any time and glad it sorted it for you
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Never used Win10, never will. Using Win7Pro on 2 desktops & a laptop. Running XP on a dinosaur at home. Also running Linux on a flash drive for business.
Douvan

Post by Douvan »

also use win7 because don't like win10
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

It is very simple to make W10 functionally identical to W7, allowing you to get the (IMO) better UX of W7 with far superior W10 subsystems. It's not a hill to die on IMO.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Like the story of dog and wolf? [:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

windows 10 isn't so different from 7 or 8, than most have the ability to learn how to use it and get around in less than an hour and certainty isn't the leap from windows 2000 from win98se etc, while if your happy, in the end as long as the hardware doesn't change to much, you will or should be fine for a few more years, but in the end it will die when support goes from it, then as all before it, not only will it be left vulnerable but also obsolete
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

windows 10 isn't so different from 7 or 8, than most have the ability to learn how to use it and get around in less than an hour

I don't think that is the issue for many win 7 and other OS users. I believe that most of us non win 10 users accept that a newer OS will do certain things a bit better, but don't care if we save a couple of milliseconds here or there. Many users strongly object to microsoft accessing their machines, adding functions that many will never use, and changing security settings at their leisure without the user's permission, which would probably not be granted even if microsoft did ask.

There are also conflicting attitudes to issues like microsoft's helpful assistance software/spyware (delete according to which side of the fence you are on) such as Cortana, which I believe can no longer be completely disabled without hacking the registry. Suggest doing that to an average user and watch them turn pale.

PC users tend to fall into two broad camps. There are the computing enthusiasts and professionals who absolutely have to have the latest tech, and the others (on this forum perhaps gaming enthusiasts) for whom the computer is simply a host to run their software packages. And if it is still doing that successfully then as far as they are concerned, their system isn't broke so they don't want it mended just because it suits microsoft to do so.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

all this and much more has been brought up many many time and seems a very flawed argument tbh regarding not using a given piece of software, and i'll give an example if i may,

do you use a phone? doesn't matter if land line or not tbh,...

do you use car satellite technology?

do you use a internet browser of any sort? or almost any sort of device, matters little,...

do you use email?

i could go on tbh,

but if use anything now days, online banking, mobile banking, or hole in the wall or counter banking for that matter,

pay tax, vote, use any medical care system almost anywhere in the world, your tracked, logged and in a system somewhere.

credit cards? bank cards, or bought a house even, your logged and your data is shared, your online presence grows the moment you are born and doesn't die with you either, it stays in the system until someone removes it, and it won't be you.

but you worry about what your own pc is giving away, lol, it's laughable,

read any online security mag and they will list every version of all browsers, bar an odd one or any version of any O/S even mac's spying on your data and using it in one way or another, the only thing M/S did with windows 10 is announce which part it's gathers, in the same way as steam does as part of it's terms for using it's software, as you rent it, as no O/S is own, and almost any piece of software, if you read between the lines, it's code is it's own, bugs and trackers combined.

if you worry about what your giving away, then move, have no presence, no house, no bills, and get off the grid, you still can, but failing this, unless you have something to hide, don't worry about what leaking from everything you do while your alive and live a bit, as in the real world, camera's only look for bad people, crooks take more care than normal people as they have something they wish to hide.

big brother has always been watching, reporting and tracking, recording and filtering out the good, bad and those who fall in-between.

use it or don't use, but putting a bucket on your head doesn't protect you from anything more than they already know and got from previous versions, so unless you wish to go back to a piece of string and tin cans, careless, not more,...

last year windows 10 reach 500 million active users, that's not installs, but online at any given day eg serials numbers etc, so if like me you have reinstalled 20 times, it wont add to the number, as same serial used etc etc

so if you think anyone can harvest and record and keep and process that much and it will double to 1 billion soon enough, then good luck on getting the data and finding a use for it or pay for it to be stored and sorted, for what?

90% of my stuff is about cake, biscuits and or games, so not really earth shattering or worth much of a first read, never mind storing and or keeping, but if anyone wants a read, just drop me a pm and i'll add you to the email list and forward you some also[:D]

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

'How to block the Windows 10 spring update, version 1803, from installing'

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... lling.html

More facts on Windows 10 Update.

'Microsoft holds up Windows 10 feature upgrade after finding BSOD bug'

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... d-bug.html
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

that's why it's previewed and pre tested by the Microsoft's Windows Insider preview program team members first, before general release tbh

Windows Insider program has atm 10 million testers, on various duties, from alpha and beta to pre RC testing and pre alpha, so depending on the users given amount of time and skill, you can be doing anything from very little, to full release testing, with this amount of testers and various hardware types, most errors gets sorted pre release, and bugs mentioned are on the Insider preview program circuit not main RC gold release to public etc etc

Code: Select all

https://insider.windows.com/en-gb/how-to-overview/

edited to add link ^^

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534) latest release

fast ring insider preview latest is

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 80 times
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

So you have jumped on the middle paragraph and ignored the other two.

But it's really having control of your own PC that's the main issue. I am content with the OS I have and don't want microsoft changing it. I am aware that I will have to do something when microsoft ends support for win 7 in January 2020, but I will make up my mind what to do then.

Incidentally, while it is obvious that the enthusiasts love win 10, most of the casual users that I know who have it don't like it. Why do they have it? Some have bought new systems and win 10 is all that is available now as far as microsoft goes. Others simply didn't know enough about computers to know how to keep microsoft from forcing it onto their existing systems even though they didn't want to change.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sorry too tired to reply, and tbh there is no right answer, only different views and opinions from different vantage points and work backgrounds [:(]
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

there is no right answer, only different views and opinions from different vantage points and work backgrounds

That's pretty much been my point. [:)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well the latest released and none beta version of windows has been released, hope you all like it and enjoy,...

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

i will be doing a complete site re test with almost every game on here and the other 2 sites / forums to see if anything new pops up with this new build, so maybe quite but not off the grid for a while, hoping to get it done in around 2 weeks or so
[;)]

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (213.62 KiB) Viewed 80 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Steam will stop working on WinXP/Vista

Starting on January 1 2019, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. This means that after that date the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

Valve's Steam software has been around for almost 15 years and has arguably come a long way from its somewhat humble beginnings. In fact, the company just announced a complete overhaul to its built-in chat client, now available via the beta channel, foreshadowing some marked improvements over the fundamentals currently offered. Now, there's another big change set for Steam on the horizon, impacting users of older versions of Windows.

The primary reason cited for the cessation of Windows XP and Vista support was attributed to the "embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows". In addition, future versions of the Steam client will need access to security updates and features that only exist in Windows 7 and later editions of the operating system. If your gaming rig is still running Windows XP or Vista then you've still got the best part of six months before the client will stop working on your system. While you will still be able to launch games from your library in the interim, new enhancements such as the upgraded Steam Chat experience, will not be made available.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Does this relate to the end of Net neutrality?

Return to “General Discussion”