Play test WWIII 1946 2.1

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Hairog

Play test WWIII 1946 2.1

Post by Hairog »

WWIII 1946 available here for play testing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qfdcppdejji2 ... .1.7z?dl=0

Attachments
campaign.jpg
campaign.jpg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 150 times
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Hairog

RE: Play test WWIII 1946 2.1

Post by Hairog »

Read Me

Read Me

World War Three May 1946 2.1.1

Caught all of the Neutral Hexes.

Eliminated the one new Freedom Force unit that seems to be causing the problem.

World War Three May 1946 2.1

Tightened up the scripts. (what a pain in the ass)

Added some NKVD units that are geared towards hunting down the Freedom Forces. They are led by Lavrentia Beria, Stalin's heinous head of the NKVD and mass murderer.

The latest versions of SB3 have fixed the problem with some Neutral countries. All should now be conquerable with no invincible or invisible garrisons.

Both AIs should follow the scripts much better now. At least in testing they did.

World War Three May 1946

I’ve probably made this mod too complicated but here goes.

Sorry but I don't know how to program an installer. You will have to copy the downloaded files into their folders.

Find the "Campaign Folder." The usual path is...
This PC/Windows (C)/Users/Wally(your name here)/Documents/MyGames/Strategic Command WWII-War in Europe/Campaigns. Just extract everything in there is the simplistic. There are a few new units.

This scenario is a challenge to both sides. The Comitern has an overwhelming initial advantage that if not use correctly will vanish. NATO will be hard-pressed to keep a foothold in Europe and it’s a long way to Moscow from Paris as Napoleon and Hitler found out.

First of all, you will need a few new units.

The DN or Dreadnaught Unit is now the MSS Unit = Mini-Submarine Seehund.
The Anti-Aircraft unit is now the Wasserfall Unit = an early SAM using an optical guidance system. See B.F. Skinner Project Pigeon in a Pelican.

A few upgrades for AA and Artillery are now the VT Unit = Variable Time or Proximity Fuse either artillery shell or anti-aircraft round.

CC Unit is now the MB Unit = Missile Boat, an early Surface to Surface anti-ship missile based on the Wasserfall and placed on freighters.

Kamikaze now is the Atomic Bomb = Mark III atomic Bomb

There is a new faction or Major Country that represents Anti-Stalinist rebels. They start out as weak brigades but gain strength and size as the mod progresses. They represent the historic Hiwis and Russian Liberation Army. It is estimated that over 3 million Hiwis and Russian Liberation Army fighters joined the Germans against Stalin. A full 20% of the Axis units on the Eastern Front were former Soviet Citizens Their hatred for Stalinism was so great that they joined the hated Nazis in fighting against their own people.

The new faction represents this rebellion. It is called the Freedom Force. In a brigade and division sized units they have a very high land defensive avoidance percentage. This represents the ability of partisans to melt into the populace and dense woods.

There is an added terrain feature that the Freedom Force has developed. They are mine fields and surround some of the FF strongholds. Their effects include decreased movement and decreased attack strength for units located in them.

The MSS (mini-sub Seehunds) are very inexpensive for the Soviets to make. They are also very hard to attack effectively and have a high naval defensive loss evasion percentage. They are not very strong and are easily damaged by storms. They can be transported to any coastal hex the Soviets have captured but have a very low supply rate and small range. The Seehunds are more of a nuisance than a real threat unless you ignore them.

US and British Engineers have developed the ability to create fortifications quickly and effectively. Manned by these engineers or Special Force Units, the fortification hex sides and units in them can be a major road block to any enemy offensive.

The Wasserfall units are very…very effective against SB or Strategic Bombers. The VT units are very effective against TB or Tactical Bomber units. You are well advised to know where they are and that the SAM range is 3 hexes.

The Missile Boats are converted freighters that can launch the V4 Rocket equipped with an optical guidance system. If this unit gets off the first shot, it can be deadly to capital ships and transports. The conversions do not happen until January 1947. The units are very expensive to produce.

If you are familiar with the book series World War Three 1946 you know that the US atomic bomb program has been sabotaged. Consequently, the US has a total of 4 Mark III atomic bombs available in January 1947. Use them well. These bombs are represented by Mark III and B-29 unit. These units start a script that decimates certain oil production facilities when they reach one of the following hexes in Egypt.
207,125 A base outside of Cairo
206,124 Alexandria
209,123 Port Said
210,126 Suez
One hex one ... bomb. IF you leave the units on site they will continue to set off radiation event that will continue to damage the sites. It behooves the Soviets to eliminate these units or occupy the cities mentioned.

The equipment for the invasion of Japan was mothballed in 1945 and will become available to the US in the form of 150 MPPs per turn starting in January 1947. Please use these MPPs for amphibious operations or don’t use them at all as they represent landing craft and amphibious warfare equipment.

Have fun!
WW III 1946 Books
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

Good. Seems that the major problems have been fixed. By the way you should work a little bit more on the graphic; for example why don not give a different inside colour to the USSR minors units so that they could be better reconizable? And why did uou use that bright red colour for the USSR units?
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

Good idea on the USSR minors.

How many other war games don't use bright red for the Soviets. This is the only one that I know of. I like it, so that's why I did it. To me the Reds are red.

Here are the markers I play with.

Attachments
Hairogmarkers.jpg
Hairogmarkers.jpg (246.28 KiB) Viewed 146 times
WW III 1946 Books
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

The "russian red" is a little less bright and a little bit darker.
Look at this example. :D

Attachments
125.jpg
125.jpg (142.31 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

You think this guy would be kissing the flag if it was the wrong color?!??!!? [;)]
Attachments
KIssFlag.jpg
KIssFlag.jpg (8.98 KiB) Viewed 156 times
WW III 1946 Books
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

Two more questions:

- why do you use the same unit colour for belgian, italian and nederland unit?
- why there is an italian unit in Nederland? It is right?
Attachments
Immagine.jpg
Immagine.jpg (296.94 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

As far as I know all Minor countries use the same unit counters depending on what side they are on {Axis/Comitern or Allied}. The only way to give them different color schemes is to make them Majors. I'm not going to do that for this mod.

I don't see any Italian units in the Netherlands. See picture below. which one is Italian in your version:?

Attachments
noItalian.jpg
noItalian.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 146 times
WW III 1946 Books
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

Maybe the Italian AI did move troops in Groningen.
Attachments
59568D2752..9428E9C0.jpg
59568D2752..9428E9C0.jpg (296.94 KiB) Viewed 151 times
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

In the second test I did, acting as URSS against Allied AI, I found the same italian unit in Groningen.
Attachments
Immagine.jpg
Immagine.jpg (472.89 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

Must be the AI. I certainly have done nothing to cause this. There are a number of French troops that show up in Italy even as their country is being overrun.

The AI has a mind of it's own and that's a good thing IMHO. Adds an element of surprise as long as it's not too crazy. I do hate it when it plugs holes in its line with Strategic Bomber units.

Now that is just stupid.

Anyway, all of this falls into the realm of Hubert and Bill. There is nothing I can do at this point.

Sorry
Harry
WW III 1946 Books
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I guess it's the Freedom Force units that are labeled Benelux. Can you change that?

Hairog

Post by Hairog »

What folder in "bitmaps folder" are they Yellow colored units? Should be in Major_5 folder.

Are these Benelux units labeled Benelux? Are the units yellow with a blue star on unit markers? Are they located in the Far Eastern part of the USSR?

Thanks for the feedback.

WW III 1946 Books
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

here's the 'benelux' label for the Freedom Fighters; it also shows a benelux from the deployment popup box.

Attachments
benelux.jpg
benelux.jpg (101.3 KiB) Viewed 146 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

There's an odd 'neutral' hex in France on first turn. Did you intend that?

Attachments
neutral.jpg
neutral.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Hairog

Post by Hairog »

I have no idea of what to do with the Benelux units. Mine are Freedom Force like they should be.

Attachments
ffNOTBENELUX.jpg
ffNOTBENELUX.jpg (133.66 KiB) Viewed 146 times
WW III 1946 Books
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

There are about three of those odd neutral hexes. I don't know if we can still use the same game if I change them now. I don't think they will effect play at all.
WW III 1946 Books
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Hairog

There are about three of those odd neutral hexes. I don't know if we can still use the same game if I change them now. I don't think they will effect play at all.
Except they can't be entered.

Hairog

Post by Hairog »

New version at first post. 2.1.1 or here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qfdcppdejji2 ... .1.7z?dl=0
WW III 1946 Books
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I don't see air unit icons with the 2.1.1 download. I have nato symbols for air units. How can I get the counter mod that you are using in the screenshots above?

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”