CV planes?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tom730_slith

CV planes?

Post by tom730_slith »

I've been adding options including Oil Rules, Ships in Flames, etc and most recently added CV planes to a new Global War solitaire. Any helpful thoughts about building CV planes in advance and stationing them?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Joseignacio

RE: CV planes?

Post by Joseignacio »

CV planes are unexpensive (1 BP) and take long to build, 8 months. I would buy wide more than needed, to be able to select and to replace losses (you usually lose more pilots than planes if you use the pilot optional...).

As for "in advance", usually this term is used to define buying from the next year's pool at a higher price. If this is what you mean, I normally vouldn't, the price grows to double and most planes won't be loadable in your carriers. OTOH you may get some better units, but... I wouldn't usually do that.

Stationing? Where? It depends on rules (or optionals?) but you cannot put planes on map outside of CVs. Of course you can gradually replace those but I don't think this is what you mean.
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: tom730

I've been adding options including Oil Rules, Ships in Flames, etc and most recently added CV planes to a new Global War solitaire. Any helpful thoughts about building CV planes in advance and stationing them?
I find that it is usually best to build the planes just in time for the arrival for the second year for the CVs. Then, they can be matched during the reinforcements. That will happen at the major port cities for those countries. Since you can not choose which planes are built, you will end up needing to build additional planes and consider using 2 lower class planes when you do not have a higher class plane available and be prepared to switch planes as other carriers arrive.

Though it might be nice to position some planes at ports where your carriers will dock at the end of turns, that will require transports to carry (2 per transport) at a time when you will also want to be moving land based planes and land units to various locations. I usually find that there are never enough transports available to cover all the needs and the CV reinforcements are the main time to deploy those planes.

An outcome of that is that when those planes get shot down, you may end up returning to your home ports where you should have some stock of carrier planes to load onto those carriers. That will take those carriers out of commission until the end of the turn, but options are pretty limited.

Dave
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

I find that it is usually best to build the planes just in time for the arrival for the second year for the CVs. Then, they can be matched during the reinforcements. That will happen at the major port cities for those countries. Since you can not choose which planes are built, you will end up needing to build additional planes and consider using 2 lower class planes when you do not have a higher class plane available and be prepared to switch planes as other carriers arrive.

Though it might be nice to position some planes at ports where your carriers will dock at the end of turns, that will require transports to carry (2 per transport) at a time when you will also want to be moving land based planes and land units to various locations. I usually find that there are never enough transports available to cover all the needs and the CV reinforcements are the main time to deploy those planes.

An outcome of that is that when those planes get shot down, you may end up returning to your home ports where you should have some stock of carrier planes to load onto those carriers. That will take those carriers out of commission until the end of the turn, but options are pretty limited.

Dave

Thanks Dave! By "in advance" I meant before the carrier planes I have are lost. Your feedback is helpful!
Thanks!!!
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

Dave

Thanks Dave! By "in advance" I meant before the carrier planes I have are lost. Your feedback is helpful!
Thanks!!!

Thanks, also very helpful! I had assumed I could place CV planes in any owned port, but obviously this is not the case. Do you ever "shutle" planes to the front using lower quality CVs?
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Dave

Thanks!!!

Thanks, also very helpful! I had assumed I could place CV planes in any owned port, but obviously this is not the case. Do you ever "shutle" planes to the front using lower quality CVs?
By the way, a transport can load and carry two carrier planes. I either "shuttle" them that way to the front and recall the carrier back to a sea area adjacent to it's coast, load the plane from there and RTB the loaded carrier to a port on the front.
Ronnie
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

Carriers can only carry lower quality planes - not higher quality planes.

You could use a newer carrier with a 4, 5, 6 (or higher) rating to carry 2 planes with 1, 2 or 3 ratings - they must add up to less than the carrier rating.

To "shuttle" the planes, you need transports, but they can carry 2 planes each. If you have spare transports, you can certainly position planes, but since the carriers can only be built in home country ports, I would deploy the CVs and planes to the same port. Make sure that you do the carriers first and then you can load the planes during the Reinforcements.
By the way, a transport can load and carry two carrier planes. I either "shuttle" them that way to the front and recall the carrier back to a sea area adjacent to it's coast, load the plane from there and RTB the loaded carrier to a port on the front.

Most of the advanced carriers have a 4 sea area range, so you can get a carrier without any planes from Honolulu or Pago Pago to the West Coast to load replacements. That is easier than using the transports.

I find it inconvenient that you can not build the required ratings for planes. I often have lower rated carriers (such as 1, 2 or 3 rating) waiting for a lower rating plane to arrive (when there are planes rated 4 or 5) or higher rates carriers (such as 4 or 5 ratings) with several lower rated planes (such as 1, 2 or 3 ratings) that are available and am waiting for the higher rated planes (such as a 4 or 5). In the second case, I might instead take 2 lower rates planes (such as a fighter and a nav with ratings of 1, 2 or 3) to use until they get shot down.

Dave
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Dave

Thanks!!!

Then, by all means do it. You should hope to lose much more CVPs than CVs, so you'll need a stock.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

A large number of everybody's CVPs are not good, so one should buy more to get the good ones.

Also, how one manages CVP resupply depends on the country. Japan is easy: their carriers don't go very far from Japan, so just return to base in Japan and fill them there. The CW never has enough transports; I find it is often best to return CVs to the CW, as they have a longer range than transports. The US is interesting. Early war, when they US has more air actions than it really can use, and late war, when every turn starts with a supercombined, I like to take empty CVs, sail them adjacent to the west coast, and then return to base into Pearl or the south Pacific. There are never enough transports, and the US often has a problem with lack of space on the ground for aircraft. Thus my sailing the carriers to the plains, rather than the other way around.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Elegant solution. Is in this version (RAW 7.0) or in a later one that you can deploy one (only) CV on a friendly port outside your home country?

Return to “World in Flames”