Steel Tigers Progress?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jugger

Steel Tigers Progress?

Post by Jugger »

Coming up to almost two years since the announcement of "Steel Tigers" any news yet?[&:]
PipFromSlitherine

RE: Steel Tigers Progress?

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Development is ongoing. We will show more once we are in a better place to do so. I appreciate that the wait can be tough for those anticipating it!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Not as tough as on those developing it though :)

Its a very big complex game with lots of moving parts and the UI has a host of niggly things that need to work in better ways than games used to back in the day.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

Thanks Iain I appreciate the feedback as well as the efforts of the team.[:)]
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Thanks for the news, well, salute, to next year! [:D]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Recently many games are accused of being only partially done when they are released (Mass Effect: Andromeda and Kingdom Come: Deliverance come to mind). Please take your time to get it done right on the first time.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Doubt we will see it before end 2019.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Doubt we will see it before end 2019.

Well, the question is see it [:D]

http://d36itbwqixpc4t.cloudfront.net/as ... ud.jpg?v=1
The positive point is that the units from Panzer Korps looks great for Steel Tigers... and if we can decide see in pure 3D or in 2D great with that quality in units.

But is true that years pass and Steel Tigers is in same "Olympus" far from our mortal hands.
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I don't want a 3D Steel Tigers. I'd love just a remake of the classic for modern systems/updated UI. Gimme back my dynamic campaigns, and I'll buy every goddamn DLC you throw at me.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I dont have problem with 3D... specially if we have top down view option (like new CC offers), play in 3D or in 2D as you prefer is better than solo one mode apart that if we have great 3D models we are going to have great 2D models.

I see worst Steel Panthers enter in the "land of the DLC", a ton of pay content that kill the feeling around original game, see Campaigns... is going to have 3 parts to cover east front, add at least another 3 for west... pay 6 times to have same you had in a single title... not a great incentive to buy when is released, i can accept buy Steel Panthers East and SP West for example (Pacific looks like the last option) but under this for me simple is to much DLC because to have all you need wait a lot of pay a lot to.

I dont dislike DLC system at all (FOGII) but problem is that many times is more designed to milk over improve game quality, for example FOGII DLCs are for my taste WORST than the old FOG DLCs.

Anyway ST is still far from us, not a single piece of real info and a lot less nothing to show... even game lacks a forum area.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

3D is awesome and preferable if done well. Don't be Luddites.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

I see worst Steel Panthers enter in the "land of the DLC"
Youth these days, complaining about DLC. In my youth we had to go all the way to town, and buy the DLC from store on CD or floppy disk. And many of them cost 2/3 (individually) of the game itself. [:-]

Though in case of Steel Panthers, many DLC equivalents (scenarios & campaigns) may have been much cheaper than that and had an option of delivery by mail. That's the way I got mine. On floppy disks.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I dont have problem with 3D....

That depends on the 3D. A well made 2D game is better than a poorly made 3D game.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I don't mind a company making money off a well-made game.

Emphasis on 'well made'.

I did, after all, buy most of ASL. I'm not afraid of buying what I want.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I don't mind a company making money off a well-made game.

Emphasis on 'well made'.
You said it.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I was youth when buy "Steel Panthers", the original, and games rare times needed buy something "basic" like today... find a good, even a decent, base game today is very rare because games are "chopped" to hell lacking basic things for base game, many games are released thinking in sell a ton of DLCs over sell the base game and well, a failed release usually means no DLCs and finish with a promising game short and imcomplete.

I dont have problems with DLCs at all IF they are EXPANSIONS and not simple "lets complete our incomplete base game with basic content", for example i can accept pay for West/East/Pacific Steel Tigers but chop more and maybe try sell game front by front, year by year is a big [:-]

I prefer a good 2D over a bad 3D but if you see the images of "Panzer Korps 2" 3D units are really good and if we can have a engine where you can choose play in 3D or in 2D better to expand player base... but i need say that i really like a lot NWS naval games and well, they are using windows95 graphics [:D]

PD: Steel panthers campaign disk was a bonus, not a necesary thing you need buy to enjoy the game because you had ALL in base game... unlike today games that force you buy a DLC to have a basic thing for game... imagine classic Steel Panthers with no Panther tanks that you needed buy in a disk expansion [8|]

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I was youth when buy "Steel Panthers", the original, and games rare times needed buy something "basic" like today... find a good, even a decent, base game today is very rare because games are "chopped" to hell lacking basic things for base game, many games are released thinking in sell a ton of DLCs over sell the base game and well, a failed release usually means no DLCs and finish with a promising game short and imcomplete.

I dont have problems with DLCs at all IF they are EXPANSIONS and not simple "lets complete our incomplete base game with basic content"
Many (at least some) such games are in scale well beyond of the games made in last millennium. Developers may run out of the money and face a choice of either kill the game or release it incomplete and hope the game sells well enough to fund its completion in form of patches and DLC. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is an example of such game: many years in development, released in last February, is plagued by bugs, lacks a number of features (crossbows), got accused with untrue made up BS almost nobody believes, and sold over million copies in 2 weeks. I strongly suspect game was released in this state because developers ran out of the money and they needed something to sell in order to stay afloat. Developers have promised to fix the bugs and deliver missing features with patches (and maybe DLC). But how many % of the games are like this?

Steam alone gets several new games in a day. How many games are in scope of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, or even Field of Glory II? I make a guess average game on Steam is closer to Faster Than Light. I don't see any DLC for it. More recent game from the same developers is Into the Breach. I don't expect that game to get much (if any) in the way of DLC. There are games that are complete on release that don't need much (if any) patching and don't get DLCs either.

[edit]
I counted game releases on Steam. Yesterday (Sunday) Steam got handful of new games available for sale (and number of "coming soon"). But day before (Saturday) there are 11 new games available for sale. I dare to claim less than half of those will have any DLC, and some may not even need it at all. Big fuss is made out of the small % of the games and great majority are ignored or otherwise overlooked. Just look at the turn based war games.

MekWars
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

The problem today is that games are released in a status between "i want shout" and "i want kill somebody" and is not a great help deal with a poor release status+problems with game content like a recent game covering battles in Battle of France+Battle of Britain period without french planes

I had my first PC wargame in... 1996 and enter in Steel Panthers in 1998 and today i dont find a similar game closer to it out of Win versions of SP of course is Close Combat and Tiller games but in tactical area i never revive that SP battles feelings.

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact that you're dealing with an expert in wargames, with a man who's the best! With strategical, with operational, with his bare tactical games! A man who's been trained to ignore graphics! To ignore bugs! To live off the beta versions! To play things that would make a billy goat puke! In Vietnam his job was to dispose of not updated engines... to kill, period! Win by not using cheats... well the wargamer was THE BEST!"

[:D]
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

LOL you guys, stop standing around like kids with your noses pressed against the candy store window :)

Keep busy with SP:WaW and TOAWIV until the next cool game comes out.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Couldn't agree more. Infact there is no need at all for 2D not to look fantastic.

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I dont have problem with 3D....

That depends on the 3D. A well made 2D game is better than a poorly made 3D game.

Return to “General Discussion”