New patch coming soon?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Shadrach

New patch coming soon?

Post by Shadrach »

The last patch was in January, so just wondering if we can expect a new patch soon(ish)?

Surely there are still things need fixing, UI issues, PBEM stuff, accessibility, editor improvements etc?

Just curious...
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
devoncop

RE: New patch coming soon?

Post by devoncop »

+1

Would be great if a few of the extra scenarios that are ready to go via the Mods and Scenarios thread could be incorporated into the stock game as some of us (I am looking in the mirror here) are simply incapable of dealing with zip files and pasting onto directories....!
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
hingram

Post by hingram »

Some of that copy/pasting can be automated via a VBScript but it seemed like such an easy process I didn't see the reason to write it. Close Combat automated their mods in a similar way
Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

I agree with Ian, it took me a while to try Telu IV's mode because of being worried about pasting things in the wrong place...
Mike

Retired Gunner
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Would be great if a few of the extra scenarios that are ready to go via the Mods and Scenarios thread could be incorporated into the stock game as some of us (I am looking in the mirror here) are simply incapable of dealing with zip files and pasting onto directories....!
warspite1

+1 billion. Not everyone is computer literate and as one of those who is highly computer illiterate, it would be great if us numpties could be given a hand here. Thank-you.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

+1 billion. Not everyone is computer literate and as one of those who is highly computer illiterate, it would be great if us numpties could be given a hand here. Thank-you.
Numpties? [:D] I guess your talking about me [:)]
RPKUPK

Post by RPKUPK »

I hope they fix the bautruppen railroad repair problem on all the eastern front scenarios...they either don't work or have an exceedingly low repair success rate.
Also, all eastern front scenarios need to have adjusted Axis Allies "going home" as per historical withdrawals, even when the German is doing well or about to win...all of a sudden the Fins go home as do the Italians. Fix it! Keep them in.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: RPKUPK
I hope they fix the bautruppen railroad repair problem on all the eastern front scenarios...they either don't work or have an exceedingly low repair success rate.
Also, all eastern front scenarios need to have adjusted Axis Allies "going home" as per historical withdrawals, even when the German is doing well or about to win...all of a sudden the Fins go home as do the Italians. Fix it! Keep them in.
Those aren't problems that a patch would fix. Those problems are from the scenario(s).
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

We are working on bug fixing in the short term in the background, and on new stuff for the long run. Due to the size of the team (which isn't particularly large) this takes some time, but we are far from done with the game!

We will try and get a post together on the fixes and changes we have so far, soon.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

all of a sudden the Fins go home as do the Italians. Fix it! Keep them in.

The Italians were no longer part of the Axis. Of course they go home.

The Finns flatly stated to the Germans from the beginning that they would fight only until the losses of the Winter War were redressed. They actually did advance a bit farther but not much. The Finns were not likely to advance any farther than they did historically. Scenario designers who allow them to are creating a highly unlikely scenario that defies any historical accuracy. Almost as inaccurate as allowing the Turks to join the Axis. There was no historical basis to allow either of those events. Perhaps as some far fetched 'What If' scenario.

Probably what should be done is give Finland free reign in their advances until 25 October 1941 instead of giving them a stop line. That would force the Soviets to stay around in an attempt to delay the Finns as much as possible even to the extent of preventing Leningrad's siege.

From Wiki:
On 25 October 1941, the US demanded that Finland cease all hostilities against the USSR and withdraw behind the 1939 border. In public, President Ryti rejected the demands, but in private, he wrote to Mannerheim on 5 November asking him to halt the offensive. Mannerheim agreed and secretly instructed General Hjalmar Siilasvuo and his III Corps to break off the assault against the Kirov Railway.

Thus ended the Finnish offensive.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
700851McCall

Post by 700851McCall »

I'd also like to add to the call for the scenario updates to be included in the patches.

Or failing that an idiots guide to pasting in the new files. I've seen someone give an explanation and it was 'do this, this and this and Bob's your uncle'. It didn't help me. Imagine a step by step guide that even someone who had just time-travelled in from 1642 could follow successfully. That would be great.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Nothing in this thread helped you ?
tm.asp?m=4381180
If not, maybe you could tell us what is unclear so that we can make it better.

At some point in time all of us were idiots. The fact that you and others that do not 'understand' file structures are playing any complex game like TOAW proves otherwise [:)]
RPKUPK

Post by RPKUPK »

The Finns flatly stated to the Germans from the beginning that they would fight only until the losses of the Winter War were redressed. They actually did advance a bit farther but not much

Then let's shut down all of these games and go read a history book. The WHOLE POINT of these games is "What If?," not a rehash of history exactly as it happened, but perhaps you disagree.
You are saying if Germany had captured Leningrad the Finn's would react as they did historically to the German failure on that front?
If Germany had defeated Russia then the Italians would then surrender in North Africa??
What if. What if.
Add in game or theater options.
erazerhead99

Post by erazerhead99 »

Surely wargames should offer decisions which differ from the course history took. An offensive Finland waging a war of conquest ist just illogical, though. It is totally inconceivable that the Finland we know would have done that. The country had fought a bloody civil war two decades earlier and the cracks in society were still deep, with some level of support for the reds remaining. The overwhelming majority of Finns had absolutely no interest in any kind of war outside of their national territory. Around 1920 a whole bunch of military expeditions into Karelia failed because the men lacked the will to fight outside of Finlands borders and just left the front for home. Mannerheim tracked a succesfull long term defensive strategy for Finland and had prevented escaliting the conflict with the SU for over 20 years. The finnish people also had developed a relatively strong democracy and even if it would have had more aggressive leaders in government and military in 1941, the population would not have supported such ideas.

Besides that, Finland was fully aware of the repercussions of fighting as ally of a genocidal dictatorship which would possibly loose the war. They tried to distance themselves from the axis as far as was possible in the war. Finland was not an ally to german but merely coincidentally fighting the same enemy.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The Finns flatly stated to the Germans from the beginning that they would fight only until the losses of the Winter War were redressed. They actually did advance a bit farther but not much

Then let's shut down all of these games and go read a history book. The WHOLE POINT of these games is "What If?," not a rehash of history exactly as it happened, but perhaps you disagree.
You are saying if Germany had captured Leningrad the Finn's would react as they did historically to the German failure on that front?
If Germany had defeated Russia then the Italians would then surrender in North Africa??
What if. What if.
Add in game or theater options.

Reading a history book about whatever scenario you are going to play is actually a very good idea. And yes, if Germany had defeated the Soviet Union and the Italians had lost in North Africa, Sicily and Italy then they would have surrendered. Mussolini was not a popular guy.

Finland was a democracy, not a dictatorship. The leaders ruled by popular consent. The Fins were not controlled by a group of psychopathic Nazis thugs like Germany. If you twist history too much then it becomes ludicrous. If you would pay attention you would see they stopped their offensives BEFORE the war turned against the Germans. It wasn't a matter of how well the Germans were doing. It was a matter of politics within Finland and between them and the United States. Finland went to great extents to show they were a co belligerent, fighting against the same nation, not an ally, of Germany.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
ETF

Post by ETF »

+1

+1 holding out for Steam where it is just plug and play :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: ETF

+1

+1 holding out for Steam where it is just plug and play :)
even with steam you'll still need to manually install any 3rd party scenarios from the forum.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
ETF

Post by ETF »

Wouldn't that be in the workshop? New scenarios.....have seen that in other games. Not sure maybe not for matrix ones?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

You based your knowledge on postfactual.
At the given time no one knew what will happen and how the thing will shape up.
Quite possibly if the Soviet have collapsed the Fins, Swedes, Spain and Turkey would join their ranks to save their asses.
Who would have thought in 1940 that France would be defeated in 6 weeks? Or that the Japanese Navy HQ would not allow to install catapults on carriers as they thought that anyhow the ship can turn against the wind (seriously that was their thinking).

In my opinion you are confusing historical plausibility with replaying historical events. You cannot say something could not have happend as there is no way to verify this. Things happened. Other things MIGHT have happened but they didn't
Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: gliz2

You based your knowledge on postfactual.
At the given time no one knew what will happen and how the thing will shape up.
Quite possibly if the Soviet have collapsed the Fins, Swedes, Spain and Turkey would join their ranks to save their asses.
Who would have thought in 1940 that France would be defeated in 6 weeks? Or that the Japanese Navy HQ would not allow to install catapults on carriers as they thought that anyhow the ship can turn against the wind (seriously that was their thinking).

In my opinion you are confusing historical plausibility with replaying historical events. You cannot say something could not have happend as there is no way to verify this. Things happened. Other things MIGHT have happened but they didn't

Sure! and the U.S. could have joined with the NAZIs like Henry Ford, Joseph Kenedy and Charles Lindbergh wanted!

Seriously, the TOAW scenario editor is provided just for these types of "What if?" modifications.
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”