1943+ German squad equipment

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

chaos45

1943+ German squad equipment

Post by chaos45 »

So Stef brought this up in his AAR and doing some research I think this is an OOB issue.

The SMG/assault rifle squads the germans get in late 43 on have no LMG in the squad is all just SMG or then converts to Assault rifles in later 1944.

Those squads should still retain the LMG team, and in all honesty prolly need a panzerfaust as well.

Also the German 1943 motorized and panzergrenadier squads only ever go to 1 Assault rifle.....should probably be a point in late 1944 this squad changes to like 3 Assault rifles, 2 LMG and the rest rifles.

Is kinda funny that by these ToE the standard infantry divisions end up with alot more Assault rifles but end up LMG poor in LLW.

If you look at even late war German ToE the LMG count doesnt really drop in fact they have LMGs everywhere in the ToE even the artillery BNs and support units get tons of LMG. The German army really lived and died by the LMG at the tactical level in WW2.
xhoel

RE: 1943+ German squad equipment

Post by xhoel »

Glad someone pointed this out. I have been fiddling with the 43-45 campaign and it really baffled me to see the lack of LMGs in German Rifle/SMG squads. I think it is something that should be really looked upon as it is an artificially reduction of combat power of rifle/smg squads which does not reflect the reality of the situation.
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

Bolshevik sabotage[&:]
Aufklärungs
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn131v1sep44.htm
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn131v1nov44.htm

Two examples of Grenadier companies from late 44, bearing the same number 131V the 11/44 one superseded the 9/44 one. In both I see two SMG platoons (two pure StG44 squads and a weapons squad with LMG(s). 3 LMG present in HQ and weapons squad.) and a standard rifle platoon. in the end all platoons had one LMG on hand.
What's missing for me is the big picture i.e how many LMG and MMG were in the Regiment/division overall.
The small excerpt indicates a missing LMG for the SMG squads and one of the SMG should be a standard rifle (for rifle grenade).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

My point was the SMG/AR squads should have a LMG in place of one of the SMG/AR weapons.

I took my information from the overall LMGs in a volksgrenadier division in Latewar. If you look at its ToE compared to early ToEs the amount of LMG doesnt suddenly drop like the drop in WiTE ToE is with no LMGs allocated the SMG/AR squads.

So seems somewhere, somehow a bunch of LMGs disappear with the new squad type that the divisions actually still had on had. Easiest solution is just to give the LMG to the squad or to add in the LMG squad you talk about I guess which has 3 LMG in one squad....which in effect is about the same amount of LMG....2 squads + LMG squad at 1 per squad = 3 LMG.....also dont think German LMG squad is even a unit in WiTE.

I know unit slots is an issue so prolly just making a slight change to 1943+ SMG/AR squad to add in the LMG and an extra soldier if the extra personnel from HQ/LMG squad would equal that out.

Again I brought this up because Stef mentioned it in his AAR and how much of a decrease in CV the ToE change made to the Latewar german infantry divisions. Re-adding the LMGs would prolly help keep some CV.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

actually both those links you posted back up that those squads should still have 1x LMG by total of how many should be in the platoon...so does look like a ToE adjustment is needed or you need to add a HQ LMG squad....think just adding the HQ personnel with LMGs to the AR/SMG squads makes alot more sense game wise.
morvael

Post by morvael »

I've pointed Denniss to this thread.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: chaos45
Again I brought this up because Stef mentioned it in his AAR and how much of a decrease in CV the ToE change made to the Latewar german infantry divisions. Re-adding the LMGs would prolly help keep some CV.

Whether a squad has LMG or not does not affect its CV. It's always 3*men/10.
German divisions decrease in strength because they decrease in numbers (from 16k to 12k), and mostly because of morale/experience drop.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

the added LMGs might give the german division more firepower theoretically or does that not matter?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Firepower yes, thus the ability to reduce enemy CV more. But not increase in own CV.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”