Allied Transport Losses

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

BK6583

Allied Transport Losses

Post by BK6583 »

Apologies in advance as I'm whining again. Playing Allies D-Day campaign and it's turn 13. In spite of ensuring adequate naval patrols to all of my ports I've lost 585 cargo ships! Now my understanding of history is at this point in the war the German U-boats had been pretty much neutralized. I also checked to see if German air units were causing this but they're not. So what in blazes is sinking my cargo ships?????
cfulbright

RE: Allied Transport Losses

Post by cfulbright »

Have you left your TF's at-sea since the invasion? You need to return them to a friendly port for one turn to strip off the transport and cargo ships that are attached.

I do agree with you that losing that many ships is unhistorical.

Cary
EddyBear81

RE: Allied Transport Losses

Post by EddyBear81 »

It's counter intuitive, but it has been indicated that these numbers DO NOT reflect sunk ships (or at least not only)

1) This is a cargo tonnage equivalent (if I remember well, 250 tons per "ship", which is small for an actual cargo)

2) This represents unavailable tonnage for a number of reasons : sunk ships because of U-Boot, yes, but also ships sunk because of bad weather (or other maritime related hazards), and SHIPS UNDER MAINTENANCE ! And every once in a while, every ship has to go to port for a couple of months to scrap the hull, repair the machinery, let the sailors go to their family / tavern... which will count as a "loss" in WitW.

=> Bottom line : you are bound to "lose" a whole lotta "ships", but this is not critical.

EDIT : the increase in losses is directly linked to the level of usage of the ships. So in the turns just after D-Day, there is a huge level of maritime activity, which will result in higher losses (but not necessarily higher loss % compared to usage, though this could be checked)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”