HQ Reorganization stoppage

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Sabre21

HQ Reorganization stoppage

Post by Sabre21 »

Bill and I once again loaded the 2.8.2 patch and loaded one of our earlier Netplay saves that was originally under 2.7.5.

We loaded a game that occurred near the end of the impulse following making France Vichy. It was the end of the 1st Allied impulse.

Everything went fairly well up until the impulse 2 of the Axis turn. I did naval. ground movement, and all the way thru air rebase ok.

Once I got to the HQ reorganization, it started with the Germans. I clicked on the Green button without doing any reorg and the button greyed out but did not advance to the Jap or Italian part of the phase.

So we reloaded and tried again going back to the air rebase phase and same thing occurred. I even first tried selecting the Jap or Italian flag first and I was not able to select either, both remained greyed out.

This is similar to what happened to us 2 months ago during the Axis Air reorganization phase. We still don't know if that was fixed. Kind of looks like this reorganization bug may be related.

I loaded up both saves at the air rebase phase. Load up the game and click past the Axis air rebase, then once HQ reorg comes up you will probably be in the Germane part of that phase.

Try clicking on either the Italian or Jap flag and see it it takes you to them, also click the green button and see if it remains greyed out while still in the German HQ reorg step.

Attachments
NPAirRebaseCh.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Sabre21

RE: HQ Reorganization stoppage

Post by Sabre21 »

Here is the axis half of the netplay turn.
Attachments
NPAirRebaseGe.zip
(1.56 MiB) Not downloaded yet
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You might try getting back to the beginning of the re-org phase, then do a manual save, then exit, then load that save and try it.

Also would be interesting to do a re-org with Germany and then end the phase, to see if the result is different.

Normally I'd try that with another beta tester, but I will be away for a couple weeks.
Paul
gw15

Post by gw15 »

I'll see if centuur can test it with me today.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

How do you get a manual save to work on netplay? I have never been able to get one to work since the entry numbers for both players are always different on manual saves.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

How do you get a manual save to work on netplay? I have never been able to get one to work since the entry numbers for both players are always different on manual saves.

Before saving, check if you both have the same next entry number. One person makes the saved game and the other receives it. The best time to save a game is if their are no forms open on any computer (f.e.: the DoW form). If you want to save the game when one of the players has a form open, that player should make the gamesave.

When you exit the game, the message pops up if you want to save the game. Don't do so, since at that moment the next entry number is changed...
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

The phases where players decide simultaneously (e.g., production planning, production, lending) delay processing game record logs from the other player until both sides complete the phase. That means that making a manual save during those phases happens immediately on the computer making the save, but doesn't happen on the other computer until the second player ends the phase. Hence the sequence numbers are out-of-sync.

I recommend making manual saves:
(1) in the Air Rebase or HQ Reorg phase in cases where the turn is likely to end;
(2) in the Break Down phase (last chance before production);
(3) in the Factory Destruction phase (before the new turn begins);
(4) at the start of the DOW Majors phase - but that has to be done by the phasing player to get the Next Entry numbers to match.

Making a save during any movement phase works (land, naval, rail, naval air, stay at sea, return to base). It is a little trickier during combat sequences, but at the start of land combat resolution is a good place if you anticipate having a problem resolving a combat.

Automatic saves at the start of air phases often are problematic. They frequently skip the 'current' phase. So if I want to restore a game at the start of the Ground Strike phase, I restore the one automatically saved at the start of strategic bombing. Then if the program skips strategic bombing, I get to ground strike. Of course this is a bad idea if there were strategic bombing missions you want to recreate, ...

Note that the program will always add "NP - " to the front of the name you enter, and will append " - mp" to the end, where mp is the abbreviation for the local major power. That means the names of the saved games will never match on the two computers. One of them will have the abbreviation for an Allied major power and the other wiil have one for an Axis major power. I wrote the code for this naming convention so when I get two NetPlay saved games I can identify which one is for the Allied side and which is for the Axis side.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Ok..we tried to continue the Netplay game with 2.8.4. We first loaded up the Axis air rebase phase and ran the game to the Axis Hw reorganization step, when I hit the green button the game basically stopped there for me as the Axis player. The button greyed out but would not advance to the Italian or Jap Hq reorg step. On Bill's computer (Allies), it indicated the Italian player step was active, but not on my machine.

So we reloaded the game again at air rebase and went thru the manual save game process. We got it to save successfully (thanks for the help on doing manual saves by the way), and tried to continue the game from that point. Unfortunately the same exact thing occurred where the green button for the German HQ reorg phase only greyed out after it was clicked and would not advance the game even though it was showing the Italian phase active on the Allied player's computer.

We also went thru the manual savegame process at the Axis HQ reorg phase before the green button gets clicked on with the same results as above.

So we are at a stoppage once more. We can't seem to figure a way past this bug nor the one I posted a couple months back.

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Has there been any fix or progress yet to this netplay bug or the previous one I posted reference the axis air transport cap phase?

It seems the two have a common anomaly occurring where once the axis player clicks on the green button to advance the turn to the new phase (whether the axis HQ reorg as described above or the axis air transport-cap phase), on the axis screen the green button just greys out and stays on the current phase where as on the allied screen indicates the next phase.

We have tried work arounds including the manual save or reloading earlier versions to no avail.

Return to “NetPlay Tech Support”