Liberator GR.V versus Liberator GR.VI in 43 Campaign

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

apd1004

Liberator GR.V versus Liberator GR.VI in 43 Campaign

Post by apd1004 »

Not sure if this is the correct forum page for this, but I notice that at the beginning of the 43 campaign, there are 5 RAF air groups equipped with the Liberator GR.VI, and none with the Liberator GR.V. The groups are No 53 Sqdn, No 59 Sqdn, No 86 Sqdn, No 224 Sqdn, and No 311 (CZ) Sqdn.

The problem is that the GR.VI doesn't begin production (in this case conversion) until 12/43, and the GR.V is the current conversion until then. I have noticed this causes a minor problem with lack of replacement aircraft for the first few months of the campaign because the production system is converting Liberator III's to Liberator GR.V. and no GR.VI's are being converted yet.

Doing some historical research, it appears that all 5 of the above squadrons were most likely equipped with the GR.V starting in April-May 43. Some of them hung onto their GR.V's until 1945 but most of them received GR.VI's in 1944.

I edited my 43 Campaign scenario file to give those 5 squadrons GR.V's. so the production system will at least convert some replacements until the GR.VI's start in 12/43.

Is there any way to edit save game files the same way, or do I need to start a new game?

Thanks
apd1004

RE: Liberator GR.V versus Liberator GR.VI in 43 Campaign

Post by Denniss »

The good side: I have changed it for my half of the scenarios and I'm sure Randy will do it for his half as well.
The bad side: Editing saves is not possible but at least you may manually switch some units to the GR.V

Judgign from Wiki the GR.Vs were used well into 1944, some even into 1945.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
rjs28023

RE: Liberator GR.V versus Liberator GR.VI in 43 Campaign

Post by rjs28023 »

Addl Air HQs has the Liberator GR. V in the five Squadrons you mentioned.
Randy

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”