Article on the Game today

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
Saint Ruth

RE: Article on the Game today

Post by Saint Ruth »

Ouch. What can I say?
I better get "Buffing"! [:)]
giffin

Post by giffin »

I would bet there are users here that have created smaller scenarios. Could we have a place to up load them here and have more to play?
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I'm all for some smaller historical scenarios!
Tony
countrboy

Post by countrboy »

I think it was a little harsh. Smaller scenarios will come, give the community time.

I own stacks of wargames and I put DW near the very top of that list.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Take the “rockpapershotgun” review for what it is: people who have never coded a game that make a living by writing critical reviews of other people’s work. We are better served/informed by the qualified players who provide an experienced opinion.

As for future scenarios, I’m not so much into historical scenarios. Would prefer to see 1) a random map, victory and opponent generator and 2) a user friendly game editor.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,
From countrboy
"I own stacks of wargames and I put DW near the very top of that list."
I agree.
The engine is one of the best and will run and run. When it comes to the editor nothing replaces a tutorial with lots of screenshots. One that takes us through a tiny scenario build from scratch. Using an imported map from another scenario, cut down, few units, stage by stage of how to build the scripts..
Lot of time I know but will push quite few through to building scenarios.
All the best,
Kip.

spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

The point is this is 1.0. There is always so much to do in life, and a timeline to get it done to market. 1.0. I bet the AI will be good. There is real promise in this title. great use of-of the board fire support -- very novel. Love to call in naval fire support too. Very novel ideas in this title. But no one except the designer knows it how the future..... If he crafted something this nice and thoughtful I it stands to reason designer has pride in the product and will continue on.
headcount_slith

Post by headcount_slith »

Rhinobones, I'm not sure you can have it both ways. If the fact that I've never (you assume) coded a game, somehow lessens the value of my review, then surely the opinions of "qualified players" who've (probably) never coded a game before either, are of limited value too?

I stand by everything I wrote in that piece, the positives and the negatives. As I think I made pretty clear, I like the system, but not the AI or the scenario balance.

Tim Stone
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Not a bad review at all. What is supposedly lacking is (as always) directly tied to publisher, developer and community commitment. And that is unavoidably influenced by Sales, Sales, Sales!

Meanwhile, I don't think Campaign Series Middle East has been a huge seller. And it's taken time, but you can't stop those devs from staying in the mix and working toward new iterations of the game.

All we need here are a few smaller scenarios in a patch and tightening up the AI, and then we spread the word that it's an innovative and enjoyable game. I am waiting for said patch myself before I commit the significant time I will need to truly learn the system. Fortunately, the target audience has a lot of fast learners.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Having read Tim's column for like 8 years now, I think he actually likes quite a bit the game, but doesn't want to give it a pass on the stuff that has irked him. Like those recce units snatching VLs in his rear... I am pretty sure he waved his fist at the screen in anger.

If he hadn't liked the game one bit he would have took out his sharpest rapier to write something like this

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... -rollocks/
Regular readers of this column will be aware that I like my wargames novel, WEGO, and tinged with chaos. Turnopia’s latest release – the first ancient-era naval computer wargame in decades – should be right up my strait so it’s a tad odd that I’ve spent the past week trying and failing to enjoy it.
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

I thought the review was fair...but I disagree with the overall assessment.

I was a beta tester and I just finished that scenario...I found the AI to be "smart and historical" to a fault. The AI made me think....realistically, not "Gaming"

Would I have been more aggressive as the AI...yes. Did the AI react historically...yes and then some

Bootlegger

bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Not a bad review at all. What is supposedly lacking is (as always) directly tied to publisher, developer and community commitment. And that is unavoidably influenced by Sales, Sales, Sales!

Meanwhile, I don't think Campaign Series Middle East has been a huge seller. And it's taken time, but you can't stop those devs from staying in the mix and working toward new iterations of the game.

All we need here are a few smaller scenarios in a patch and tightening up the AI, and then we spread the word that it's an innovative and enjoyable game. I am waiting for said patch myself before I commit the significant time I will need to truly learn the system. Fortunately, the target audience has a lot of fast learners.

+1
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: bootlegger267

I thought the review was fair...
I think there was some great constructive criticism in the review (just like the other suggestions/criticism on the forum), and the scenario designer and I will listen to them all and make it better!
Cheers,
Brian
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

And community support for the game and sales should increase. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Stone did a follow-up review as well.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: countrboy

I think it was a little harsh. Smaller scenarios will come, give the community time.

agreed,

what it boils down to is it enjoyable in the buyers eyes that matters imo, and so far it's been mostly positive from what i've read so far, so well done and look forward to more of the same, plus updates and any fixes that are needed, plus would be nice to also see the modders pick it up and start there magic [;)]

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
ORIGINAL: countrboy

agreed,

what it boils down to is it enjoyable in the buyers eyes that matters imo, and so far it's been mostly positive from what i've read so far, so well done and look forward to more of the same, plus updates and any fixes that are needed, plus would be nice to also see the modders pick it up and start there magic [;)]

Hey Zakblood - Could we have a place on this forum to up-load smaller scenarios?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i can ask, but for pictures, this was the reply,
You can always upload your images in a image hosting service like imgur and then post them in the forum.

so maybe a off site hosting place maybe the answer to share files

i use, both free btw dropbox and google drive and pCloud and one drive, MediaFire also has 10gb free so there's 40+GB free cloud storage for starts
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i can ask, but for pictures, this was the reply,
You can always upload your images in a image hosting service like imgur and then post them in the forum.

so maybe a off site hosting place maybe the answer to share files

i use, both free btw dropbox and google drive and pCloud and one drive, MediaFire also has 10gb free so there's 40+GB free cloud storage for starts

Ok I was just thinking of a thread similar "Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985" MODS & Scenarios Section
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

agreed, will ask

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”