Overshooting AAMs?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Primarchx

Overshooting AAMs?

Post by Primarchx »

I've been seeing this more often recently. What is the story behind Overshooting in the game now?
Cik

RE: Overshooting AAMs?

Post by Cik »

shouldn't theoretically happen unless target is way above or below the missile.

granted i saw a torpedo make a dozen circuits around a ship today while missing every time. maybe a bug?
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

I think it may be related to how altitude is accounted for in AAMs in the latest build.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

I suspect you're seeing the vertical corkscrew.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

I suspect you're seeing the vertical corkscrew.

Sounds intriguing! Is that similar to hard horizontal turning to break lock in the target evasion model but in the z-axis? Any recommended methods of minimizing its' effect? Thanks, D!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

I thought AAM re-targeting is a Hollywood trope, wasn't the missile misses the target will self-destruct?

But I kinda get the vertical corkscrew part, some advanced BVRAAMs will do this because they come in ballistic trajectory. I saw PL-15 will literally tumble backward while descending (watch the altimeter) to B-52's tail from one of my scenario test.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

This is probably what you are seeing:

Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Could be, though I usually engage at about 50%-66% Max AAM Range to keep kinematics high. For example with an AMRAAM or Phoenix I'll see the missiles go active quite close to the target instead of a decent interval away, then merge with the target but not engage. A few seconds later I might get a message saying the AAMs have overshot the target and they keep flying, sometimes saying they're trying to acquire new targets.

In the past the only behavior I'd see like this usually involved SARH missiles where a sharply maneuvering target would turn hard enough to keep the SARH seeker from seeing the illumination on the target and it would go stupid. In some cases this might apply to AHMs, too if they were able to get outside the seeker's gimble limits in the terminal phase.

BTW, how do I get that diplay mod?
HaughtKarl

Post by HaughtKarl »

Uh, did Dimitris just give us a teaser of a 3D utility to watch a playback of our scenarios?

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: HaughtKarl

Uh, did Dimitris just give us a teaser of a 3D utility to watch a playback of our scenarios?

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

It doesn't look truly 3-D. More like icon tilting to indicate degree of climb/dive? Which I WANT! [:D]
guanotwozero

Post by guanotwozero »

And it has perspective... want it too!

Potentially if it's capable of playback, maybe capable of in-game display too?
HaughtKarl

Post by HaughtKarl »

Well Tacview is reserved for the pro version but I recall reading elsewhere that the Command devs were looking into an equivalent for us plebs to use. I don't know if they're cooking something up in house or if they're going to license another program similiar to Tacview. Either way I'm stoked.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn »

According to the official page tacview integration for the commercial version is planned

HaughtKarl

Post by HaughtKarl »

Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

There's my LOS TOOL!
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Oh, that is unexpected.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”