Climbing Back into the Saddle

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

ladner

Climbing Back into the Saddle

Post by ladner »

After a long hiatus I'm climbing back into the saddle of playing this monster game again. Have been reading some of the AARs and seeing the massive 5,000-6,000 destroyed aircraft on the first Axis turn. Are there any play by plays or step by step instructions?
ladner

RE: Climbing Back into the Saddle

Post by ladner »

So I have pondered HardLuckAgain's AAR and then an additional AAR by Crackaces illustrating the movement of airbases, perhaps I'm overly obtuse, or haven't spent enough time reading the manual to any of the WITE vets, would appreciate insights on how to do this as Axis.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: ladner

So I have pondered HardLuckAgain's AAR and then an additional AAR by Crackaces illustrating the movement of airbases, perhaps I'm overly obtuse, or haven't spent enough time reading the manual to any of the WITE vets, would appreciate insights on how to do this as Axis.

I would PM Telemecus. He is awesome at the airpower and could get you flying and destroying the Soviets in no time :). I'm just too busy to give you an depth at the moment.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

I would PM Telemecus. He is awesome at the airpower and could get you flying and destroying the Soviets in no time :). I'm just too busy to give you an depth at the moment.

OH!!!!! You are a Virginian!!!! What part of Virginia?
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

You could also join the Sparkle Tits Discord and chat with us directly if you like. We are talking to another about Air right now in his game. PM Sparkle tits if you like to join us there.
ladner

Post by ladner »

The Northern Neck, once known as the Athens of the new world. Overwhelming amount of history, birthplace of Washington, and Monroe, a truly lovely part of the state.
ladner

Post by ladner »

I might just do that, calling it an early night.
HardLuckYetAgain

The Northern Neck, once known as the Athens of the new world. Overwhelming amount of history, birthplace of Washington, and Monroe, a truly lovely part of the state.

My My My! You are very close to me. About 60 miles since I'm in Northern Virginia.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

You could also join the Sparkle Tits Discord and chat with us directly if you like. We are talking to another about Air right now in his game. PM Sparkle tits if you like to join us there.

Would that be his game with me? [:D]
Any insights for me as well?
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I normally live in Oregon but I'm visiting my mom in suburban Maryland. We should hang out sometime. I'll be back this summer.
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

Why not, we don't discriminate :) But be warned the most action happens when all the Brits are on so plan accordingly the time zones :)
HardLuckYetAgain

I normally live in Oregon but I'm visiting my mom in suburban Maryland. We should hang out sometime. I'll be back this summer.

Could be something. I know John B has a game club in Richmond VA so we could do something there.
beender

Post by beender »

As someone who was just in a similar position as yours not long ago, i may dare to give my two cents.

1. Never move air groups in the airbase. Always use air transfer to save miles and fatigue.
2. Use stuka exclusively to "exterminate" soviet airbases approximately west of Stalin line. Exclusively.
3. In order to achieve 2 you might want to place your stuka airbase right in the middle of the few soviet airbases. Remember to use staging airbase to extend range.
4. I would also displace a few soviet airbases which are located too far away, to make them more concentrated.
5. Use your long range LBs to bomb airfields in the depth. He-111 is much more effective than Ju-88A, who could be very disappointing when countered by enemy fighters. So I would normally paralyze fighter airbases with He-111 first, and when unopposed Ju-88A usually get much higher kills.
6. There are also some small tricks, such as when you see a air group at 32% miles flown, use it for a long-range mission. You'll get more ideas as you practice.

So far these are the points I can think of. The AARs you mentioned are indeed very helpful, where i pretty much learnt everything[:D]
beender

Post by beender »

I used to live in Arlington for a little less than five years. Really missed there.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

The Discord channel grew out of the 2by3+ game ironically enough - but is now encompassing everyone. It should mean you were one of the first to be invited. But if you need another invite let us know.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
ladner

Post by ladner »

ORIGINAL: beender

As someone who was just in a similar position as yours not long ago, i may dare to give my two cents.

1. Never move air groups in the airbase. Always use air transfer to save miles and fatigue.
2. Use stuka exclusively to "exterminate" soviet airbases approximately west of Stalin line. Exclusively.
3. In order to achieve 2 you might want to place your stuka airbase right in the middle of the few soviet airbases. Remember to use staging airbase to extend range.
4. I would also displace a few soviet airbases which are located too far away, to make them more concentrated.
5. Use your long range LBs to bomb airfields in the depth. He-111 is much more effective than Ju-88A, who could be very disappointing when countered by enemy fighters. So I would normally paralyze fighter airbases with He-111 first, and when unopposed Ju-88A usually get much higher kills.
6. There are also some small tricks, such as when you see a air group at 32% miles flown, use it for a long-range mission. You'll get more ideas as you practice.

So far these are the points I can think of. The AARs you mentioned are indeed very helpful, where i pretty much learnt everything[:D]
Thank you for the pointers, will keep this in mind.
Asberdies

Post by Asberdies »

May i have an invite to the discord channel? I am a new Wite player. My user name on discord is asberdies :)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”