Windows 'Update' Soon

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Lobster

Windows 'Update' Soon

Post by Lobster »

Windows will 'update' your Windows 10 computer soon. Next week or so. It's not an update. It's an upgrade. Potential problems will ensue. Plan for a long installation time. Around an hour at best from what the tech guy tells me. Gird your loins.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
HunterICX

RE: Windows 'Update' Soon

Post by HunterICX »

This is why I'm still on Windows 7, I don't need M$ to dictate what I update and when I update so if it has any problems I can choose to wait.

My PC at work however isn't as lucky, it's running Windows 10 so am not looking forward in ''updating'' at the worst possible time when I need to do my job. The last one took around 4 hours when I really needed it for work....[:@].
rico21

Post by rico21 »

It's impossible, Zakblood told us that windows 10 was the last![:D]
mbar

Post by mbar »

The other bizarre behavior I've notice on my Win 10 with certain updates is my PC performance drops. When I've checked Task Manager my memory is 99% full and my hard drive is very active. Reboots do not resolve the issue. I need to perform a restart to fix it. Google the issue and you will find few hits.

I do not like that at all.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

there has been 4 versions from the RC version which first came out as windows 10

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

each build is a new version in it's own right, and a complete new install or upgrade, depending on which you chose to do, for me i always do a clean install.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The 1/18/2018 version 1709 has caused our desktop to spontaneously reboot a couple of times a week and we still have not found a way around that. [:@]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

if it's an upgrade from a old none standard windows 10 version, eg from windows 7 or 8 etc, i'd do a clean install, if its a clean install or upgrade from another windows 10 version, i'd try so newer drivers or see if there all windows 10 compatible etc, no issue for me, then again might just be lucky with hardware and have used it since alpha testing more than a few years ago now

Code: Select all

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-delete-the-windows-old-folder-from-windows-10/

on the step 3 bit, tick all and empty the lot tbh, as none is needed
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

The 1/18/2018 version 1709 has caused our desktop to spontaneously reboot a couple of times a week and we still have not found a way around that. [:@]
version 1709 has caused our desktop to spontaneously reboot a couple of times

go to Power Options, then "Choose What The Power Button Does", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable" then UNCHECK "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" then hit "save changes". SHUT DOWN the computer completely, then turn it back on. Something about that setting causes fatal errors, changing may help you, and worth a try anyway as you have nothing to loose.

good luck
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: HunterICX
This is why I'm still on Windows 7, I don't need M$ to dictate what I update and when I update so if it has any problems I can choose to wait.
How is that Windoze 7? I've been thinking of upgrading TO it, but I have heard (and STILL continue to hear) complaints about its backwards compatibility? And isn't windoze 7 one of the versions that Windoze 10 took control of and replaced, uninvited?
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I don't need M$ to dictate what I update and when I update
Not related to anything in this thread but it reminds me of my new 'smart' tv that I got 6 months ago and at the same time 'upgraded' to a Comcast X-1 box. Comcast 'updates' every 24 hours and will automatically turn on the tv when this happens, or if is is already on and you are watching something you have a very brief message to delay the update. It will stop what you are watching and reboot the system, takes 5-10 minutes.

Comcasts solutions are to A] unplug the tv, and B] set the updates to occur when you are not watching.

Thanks [sarcasm there].
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I don't need M$ to dictate what I update and when I update
Comcast 'updates' every 24 hours and will automatically turn on the tv when this happens, or if is is already on and you are watching something you have a very brief message to delay the update. It will stop what you are watching and reboot the system, takes 5-10 minutes.
We control the vertical. We control the horizontal...

Attachments
outerlimitss.jpg
outerlimitss.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 191 times
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

ORIGINAL: E
ORIGINAL: HunterICX
How is that Windoze 7? I've been thinking of upgrading TO it, but I have heard (and STILL continue to hear) complaints about its backwards compatibility? And isn't windoze 7 one of the versions that Windoze 10 took control of and replaced, uninvited?

For me Windows 7 is the last good Microsoft OS, is it flawless? No, but it doesn't give you a daily headache like the crashing mess called Windows ME did, or caused by the awful design of Windows 8 in general. I moved from Windows XP to Windows 7 and don't plan to ever go back to XP, for me Windows 7 does everything I need it to do.

As for Backward compatibility well what are we talking about? Programs? Devices or Games?
I can only answer Games from personal experience as my PC at home is purely for that purpose and nothing else so I can't tell you much about programs or devices like printers, scanner or what have you plugged into the PC.

As for games,in short so far I have no issues perhaps I got lucky with the titles I used to run back on the days of Win95 & 98. Naturally some require the use of Dosbox for it to work or perhaps a bit of troubleshooting for a solution online.

Yes, Windows 7 like 8 where victims of the ''Update to Windows 10 for free'', before that I was pretty ingorant and had auto-update on to get my dose of security patches like anyone else would want to, when one of the updates installed that what I call Microsoft's Ad-ware which asked you if you wanted to sign up for the free update to Windows 10 to which I said ''NO'' thinking it would end right there and leave me alone...I quickly discovered it didn't as it kept giving me a pop up at start up about this Windows 10 update that it rubbed me the wrong way. I removed the KB update that was responsible for this and switched off auto-update. Good thing too because the Computer at work which ran Windows 8 (yeah garbage OS but I only need it to connect to a remote server to do my work) and left the auto-update on as the Computer isn't my property. One day when I booted up, opened shop and when I sat down I was looking at a taunting message that said it'll start to update to windows 10 unless I clicked this button but was too late as it started before I could reach for my mouse. [:@] Pretty disgusting move if you ask me.

demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I actually like my Windows 10 set up. It plays everything with no problems for over 9 years on this computer. However, upgrade could make me wrong.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

there seems to be quite a lot of user who don't like it, and that's a fair comment and point, but as most new modern pc's won't now come with anything else, in the end, it's either stay on your older hardware or get used to it, for me, a very big fan of windows 10 and gaming, it's the best thing since windows 98SE.

so either hate it or love it, but don't forget most you hear are myths about it,...

plays 99% of all pc games, including DOS, if you use a emulator and are more than ok at setting it up.

a clean install is always better than a upgraded from version, imo,...

and any operating system is only as good as the drivers for your hardware, so if it doesn't work so good for you, take a look at the dates of your hardware / drivers and see which is to blame, before knocking it and saying it's rubbish and doesn't work.

it's the fastest O/S on the market to install and setup from scratch on a good hardware, the simplest to repair if damage with very good inbuilt tools to self recover and repair.

auto back up, auto anti virus and malware protection and file encryption built in if you need it or use it, auto update, it's not an error it's a feature and tbh takes away any burden from the none techy person and user, and all those who know how to can disable it anyway if needed, but why would you?

if your happy with what you have, that's fine, as long as your hardware lasts, as soon as it fails, you won't get much choice, the future is here, it's your choice to live in it "the future", or not, use it or don't, but in the end, it will or won't be long before it's needed with almost all new games as support will be there for the older ones, but i can see it coming sooner rather than later as a pre requite for some game if not all games in another year or so, so plenty of time for your hardware to last before you will need to upgrade to it, eg windows 10
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

there seems to be quite a lot of user who don't like it, and that's a fair comment and point, but as most new modern pc's won't now come with anything else, in the end, it's either stay on your older hardware or get used to it, for me, a very big fan of windows 10 and gaming, it's the best thing since windows 98SE.

so either hate it or love it, but don't forget most you hear are myths about it,...

plays 99% of all pc games, including DOS, if you use a emulator and are more than ok at setting it up.

a clean install is always better than a upgraded from version, imo,...

and any operating system is only as good as the drivers for your hardware, so if it doesn't work so good for you, take a look at the dates of your hardware / drivers and see which is to blame, before knocking it and saying it's rubbish and doesn't work.

it's the fastest O/S on the market to install and setup from scratch on a good hardware, the simplest to repair if damage with very good inbuilt tools to self recover and repair.

auto back up, auto anti virus and malware protection and file encryption built in if you need it or use it, auto update, it's not an error it's a feature and tbh takes away any burden from the none techy person and user, and all those who know how to can disable it anyway if needed, but why would you?

if your happy with what you have, that's fine, as long as your hardware lasts, as soon as it fails, you won't get much choice, the future is here, it's your choice to live in it "the future", or not, use it or don't, but in the end, it will or won't be long before it's needed with almost all new games as support will be there for the older ones, but i can see it coming sooner rather than later as a pre requite for some game if not all games in another year or so, so plenty of time for your hardware to last before you will need to upgrade to it, eg windows 10
This..... Got Win10 when it was free, and never regretted it. It is fine with DOSbox, even runs SSI's Imperialism II when the mood strikes me to play it.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
-auto update, it's not an error it's a feature and tbh takes away any burden from the none techy person and user, and all those who know how to can disable it anyway if needed, but why would you?

Why would you disable Auto-Update?
For me personally, the main reason is as my free time is limited that I rather not run into a headache situation that after a mayor update things no longer work as they should, my system crashes or doesn't boot at all. So I prefer to read what the update is beforehand, wait a while to see if there's anything mayor reported about it like the AMD CPU booting issue when Windows had their patch related to the meltdown&spectre exploit.

also AFAIK on Windows 10 Home there's no way to shut off Auto-Update in a permanent manner which to me is an error and not a feature which funny enough is actually in Windows 10 Pro with the Local Group Policy Editor.

Ow if my hardware goes then I have nothing to worry about yet as long Modern hardware have drivers that support Windows 7, I actually own a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit as I buy my computers from a store where I pick my own components. This is also the reason the ''Free Update to Windows 10'' rubbed me the wrong way as Microsoft disrespected my choice to not take part of the update as I wasn't feeling like beta testing their newest OS and was a bit skeptical about their newest OS after my experience with Windows 8.

At work it Runs Windows 10 Home, my father's laptop runs Windows 10 Home which I maintain or troubleshoot when it's needed. I have no mayor problems with Windows 10 in general, I dislike some things but nothing that I probably wouldn't be able to get used to I think. But as long my copy of Windows 7 allows me to do the things I like to do on my computer I don't plan to update yet untill it's absolutely necessary. I've always purchased a copy of Windows as I go through a few total hardware overhauls over the years and this way I always have my own copy of windows for a complete clean installation.

My reluctance has more to do with Microsoft's lack of respect for an users choice back then when they offered the update to windows 10 home for free.

If they did, heck there's a good chance I would have updated to Windows 10 Pro by now having purchased a copy of it.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

there's tool you can get to stop auto downloads and also others than stop process from running and do many other things, i have one that turns off the nvida spy program and also the built on one in windows, which tbh doesn't do that much data exchanging anyway for most users.

the problem with software approach is, every update of the O/S also needs a update to the app and or programs you run and use to make sure it's still off, stopped or hidden, or disabled, depending on what you need, i only use home, have pro also, but from a pure gaming approach, home is always best on any O/S, as other stuff is just bloatware for most imo.

there's tool kits now days that change every aspect of windows 10 and if used can alter almost anything, while i use some minor ones myself on my gaming rig, on my test pc's, there default, so nothing altered apart from where it's built it to be disabled by user choice [;)]

and please don't ask, as i don't link other peoples programs, or name them either, as most aren't for public use either, and while most say there safe, there's always a chance that something that stops one things alters something else which may or may not lead to another error etc, so if your not sure, don't do it, as not everyone can recover or replace missing or disabled files or programs etc
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 191 times
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

I prefer the use of build in tools to activate/disable or switch from Auto/Manual then to discover in a trivial manner that I don't have acces because I have the version of Windows that doesn't include it. My reason I always went for Pro and the Ultimate versions, probably true that they are most likely bloated with features you don't need or rarely use but PC and gaming is a hobby of mine and I do tend to tweak things now and then so rather have acces to it on the rare occasion then discovering I can't and as you said while third party solutions claim to be safe there's alwas this chance it breaks something that's irreversible unless you do a complete reinstall...not my ideal way to spend my free time [:D]

Also it's not that I don't want to update my Windows at all, it's that I want to have full control of what Updates I want to allow and when. So used to Windows 7 scan > tick the ones I want > install. If there is that same ability in Windows 10 then I've yet to discover it in the nightmare that is the UI of Windows's 'Configuration' panel.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

In Windows 10, identifying your internet connect as a metered connection will prevent most updates from being installed. It's probably a bad idea though because it means security vulnerabilities go unfixed.

You can also set "Active Hours" during which your machine will not reboot. So for example my work PC can be set to office hours and my home PC to night-owl hours when no updates will be installed.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

'How to block the Windows 10 spring update, version 1803, from installing'

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... lling.html

Return to “General Discussion”