Attacking an enemy unit

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
demyansk

Attacking an enemy unit

Post by demyansk »

I have a question on attacking a unit that is very weak. When you want to do a limited attack the unit does an attack and moves into the vacated terrain of the unit you just attacked. Sometimes, I don't want my unit to do an overrun. What am I missing? It only happens when I attack a real weak unit.
Meyer1

RE: Attacking an enemy unit

Post by Meyer1 »

Use the planner instead to just right click on the enemy. Either use the P key over the enemy counter, or hold the right click to use the context menu. Then use the "limited attack" option.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I understand that part, however, when right clicking on an enemy unit at times the options don't come up and my unit attacks. A lot of times I don't want my unit to end its move in a river hdx.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I understand that part, however, when right clicking on an enemy unit at times the options don't come up and my unit attacks. A lot of times I don't want my unit to end its move in a river hdx.

If you right-click and the unit can overrun, it does it automatically without asking for confirmation.

I understand this might not be ideal in some situations, but it does save a lot of clicking in all others.

If you are unsure if an overrun will take place and you really, really don't want to enter the hex, I suggest using the combat planner as explained above.
Also double-clicking the target hex (left click of course) will bring up the attack planner.
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

What if you righ-click and hold? That should bring the menu up.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks guys for the advice, I will try later
fierman

Post by fierman »

ORIGINAL: Olorin

What if you righ-click and hold? That should bring the menu up.

It 'should' , but it doesn't. Really, try it out yourself.
Could this be changed in the next update please? Using the planner every time is way more cumbersome than the original problem for which this was a fix.

edit: in fact, using the planner doesn't help in these situations either, since the planner doesn't provide for limited attacks.
fierman

Post by fierman »

ORIGINAL: Tamas

ORIGINAL: demyansk

If you right-click and the unit can overrun, it does it automatically without asking for confirmation.

I understand this might not be ideal in some situations, but it does save a lot of clicking in all others.

If you are unsure if an overrun will take place and you really, really don't want to enter the hex, I suggest using the combat planner as explained above.
Also double-clicking the target hex (left click of course) will bring up the attack planner.

It is not possible to select limited attacks in the combat planner. Planning an attack in the combat planner will always end in advance after combat when successful.
TheeWarLord

Post by TheeWarLord »

This isn't correct, a limited attack initiated via the attack planner does not negate the limited attack, you will not advance.
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

to plan a limited attack in the combat planner, right click on the unit and select limited attack from the menu. If you just left click on the unit it will do a full attack at whatever its current loss tolerance is.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”