Interesting book for game developers.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ginetto

Interesting book for game developers.

Post by Ginetto »

I've about finished reading "War by Numbers - Understanding Conventional Combat" by Christopher A. Lawrence, Potomac Books, University of Nebraska Press, 2017. Essentially the author, basing himself on the vast data bases compiled by Col. Trevor Dupuy on modern era wars (ca. 1600 to the present), attempts to prove the existence of constants which have maintained their validity through time and revolutionary technological progress. For example, attacker:defender ratios to achieve success have not changed in any significant degree. What struck me, though, was the author's comparative analysis of combat in urban and non-urban environment. Contrary to common belief, Lawrence claims that urban warfare is NOT more casualty-intensive either in human or material (AFV losses) terms. The only difference the author can tease out of the data (including urban battles such as Aachen and Hue) is that advances from successful attacks in built-up areas are between 1/2 and 1/3 of those on rural environments.
Anyway an interesting and compelling book especially for the developers of TOAW IV, TotH, Flashpoint Germany and lots of others. It would have been also useful for Battles from the Bulge.
Gino
rico21

RE: Interesting book for game developers.

Post by rico21 »

Whether in urban areas or not, modern techniques are the same.
We spot the enemy and wait for the artillery or the air force to do the work.
After, we take possession of the land.
The time when crazies like me rushed to take the goals is over. Finally until the robots arrive ...[:D]
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: rico21

Whether in urban areas or not, modern techniques are the same.
We spot the enemy and wait for the artillery or the air force to do the work.
After, we take possession of the land.
The time when crazies like me rushed to take the goals is over. Finally until the robots arrive ...[:D]
That may be army practice but Marines are taught to take the objective. In Panama we saw the difference starkly, the army would call in an artillery strike for a sniper while the Marines simply assaulted the building.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

You confirm what I say, the marines (elite troops) or special forces represent a small part of an army and can not intervene on all fronts at the same time in case of global threats.
Artillery and Aviation still have good days in front of them!
tentackle

Post by tentackle »

Yes, this is definitely an interesting book. Recently I read a review of this book and also want to take it. You can learn a lot from these books to develop games and it's worth making different selections in this regard. In general, books expand the horizon and open up a lot of new ones, besides they help to cope with different tasks on an equal basis with various guidelines (like this https://answershark.com/writing/essay-writing/how-to-write-cause-and-effect-essay.html).
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I find it a bit misleading to suggest that AFV casualties are not higher in urban areas, because in general you do everything you can to avoid sending them there, as you know what will happen. They would be higher if you did not adapt your tactics and avoid them! The writer seems to be implying that it would be fine to wander through an urban area with a tank division but I suspect only as there is no data to show how bad it would be :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

I find it a bit misleading to suggest that AFV casualties are not higher in urban areas, because in general you do everything you can to avoid sending them there, as you know what will happen. They would be higher if you did not adapt your tactics and avoid them! The writer seems to be implying that it would be fine to wander through an urban area with a tank division but I suspect only as there is no data to show how bad it would be :)
I have read a book about USA tanks going to Baghdad, and inside of it.
Heavy Metal: A Tank Company's Battle to Baghdad
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”