Workers of the World Unite!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
John B.

RE: Workers of the World Unite!

Post by John B. »

Comrades just because I'm a paranoid psychopath does not mean you're not all out to get me!

[Southern Front HQ 2 A.M. phone is ringing]

Um, Khrushchev here, is this Comrade Stalin?

Yep!

ALL GLORY TO THE SLAYER OF THE FASCIST DRAGON!!!

Quit shouting Nicky, you give me a headache and I'm already feeling poorly! Do you know who Napoleon was?

Of course, Comrade Stalin.

He was a good general and he took over the French Government. Do you know who Redverse Buller was?

Um, no Comrade Stalin.

Precisely, he was a moron who could not win his way out of a paper bag and he never took over any government. Do you catch my drift?

Five good generals will be shot before dawn Comrade Stalin.

Excellent!!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (314.94 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Comrades! We are betrayed!!! And not just some run of the mill Golly I'm a paranoid dictator type of betrayal, but real honest-to-dialectic betrayed. The cowardly Finns have attempted to stab us in the back and take what they failed to steal in 1939!!! They will suffer for their impudence! Members of the Politburo, what say you?

DESTROY THE WHITE REACTIONARY FINNS COMRADE STALIN AND PUNISH THEM FOR THEIR ARROGANT USE OF AN URALIC LANGUAGE!!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (715.85 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Further Comrades, apparently the prior cleansing of the weather bureau did not go far enough and imperialist forces still linger deep within its bowels. There has been a warm spell in the south and the German battle at Rostov continues. The invaders suffer a heavy loss with each assault. Right now Comrade Zhukov is traveling between armies so we may not get the benefit of his steady hand in the next turn's battles. We have fresh forces to feed in across the Don but they take time to get in.

Further up the Don, near Stalingrad the Germans shiver in their fox holes and we have two panzer divisions trapped behind the lines.

The Don is not flowing so quietly the these days is it Comrades?

WE SALUTE COMRADE STALIN AND HIS SUBTLY PRESCIENT LITERARY ALLUSIONS!!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (680 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

The Fascists are even assaulting Sevastopol which has been under siege for almost two months Comrades. I worry about this city since reinforcement is practically impossible!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (613.42 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

And here, Comrades, you can see the consequences of the sneak attack launched by Finland! We must ask which traitors allowed the fortifications to be given up so cheaply and allowed the Finns to advance to the gates of our beloved Leningrad. But, Comrades, the upside is that now we need not extend our lines to defend Narva and we can consolidate our forces. Mannerheim might be gloating now, but he will regret his rash decision!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (972.95 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Comrades, I have saved the best news for last! As you can see, we have made significant progress in the Center. The Germans are being pushed back on both flanks and have been scurrying away returning much of our land to use and leaving many of their solders underneath our soil. It's true that many times they fight with the desperation of the doomed and our losses have not been as light was we would have hoped, but we have two fresh armies heading into the gaps and more on the way!

Victory remains in our grasp comrades, we just need to show true Revolutionary Spirit!

MARXISM/LENINISM/STALINISM IS OUR GUIDING LIGHT COMRADE STALIN!!! WE WILL NOT FALTER IN OUR EFFORT TO SMASH THE FOE!!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (930.5 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Comrades! Now is the time to fight for Leningrad. The Finns, taking advantage of their stab in the back and the frozen lake ladoga have nearly encircled our armies at Leningrad. Marshall Zhukov is there after a harrowing overnight journey from Rostov and has put some spine into the troops [there was a 60% chance that he would be delayed] but Leningrad hangs by a thread. We've moved our air defenses up north but it may hang by a thread comrades, it may hang by a thread.

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

In the south we must gamble that Rostov is safe. There was not much activity last turn other than our rounding up two German Panzer divisions. Which had gone just a bit too far and were cut off.

The weather report has cold and snow but so far no frostbite is reported in the German lines. One wonders, Comrades, if we will get reports of frostbite or not. The Germans have not been active on the attack and this has led to . . .

GLORY TO COMRADE STALIN AND HIS USE OF DRAMATIC FORESHADOWING AND ELLIPSES IN HIS AFTER ACTION REPORTS!!! DEATH TO TROTSKIITE AARS!!!!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (719.8 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

The potential destruction of Army Group Center! Our intelligence indicates that there are 18 German divisions in the pocket and at last reports the remaining German divisions had been running westward. We have fresh armies pouring through the gaps and pursuing the beaten Germans. The Siberians have also started to arrive and may be in action by mid-December.

Given our level of success here in the center, I propose we send the next reinforcing army to the Northern front because they need all the help they can get! Members of the Politburo, do you agree? YES COMRADE STALIN!!

Now I must ponder.

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (883.88 KiB) Viewed 359 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

[Atop Lenin's Mausoleum Red Square Comrade Stalin steps to the microphone]

Comrades! We must ask ourselves

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

But not a woodchuck of times past toiling under the lash of its class oppressors. Oh No! Not that at all.
But a new Soviet Woodchuck inspired by Marxism/Leninism/Stalinism to smite it's class foes and surpass its woodchucking targets
under the five year plan in just four years, three years or even two years!!!

Comrades what say you?

ALL HAIL STAKANOVITE WOODCHUCKS!!! ONWARD TO VICTORY WITH COMRADE STALIN AND OUR +10% ACTIVATION BONUS!!!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (667.15 KiB) Viewed 358 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

In the south Comrades, the enemy gives us no rest. they have pushed across the frozen don and it appears as if their supply lines are reestablished! Stalingrad and Rostov look safe for now, but who knows which trators lurk in our ranks ready to sell out our Ever Victorious Red Army for 30 pieces of silver!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (733.44 KiB) Viewed 364 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

In the North Comrades the Finns continue their advances and we are being squeezed like a pimple ever closer to Leningrad. We are still in supply but only along a narrow voi sacree that has Germans and Finns on either side. We pin our hopes on the newly arriving army that I've highlighted for you! Let us hope that we can hold our lines long enough for the new divisions to arrive!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 364 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

In the center comrades, our Army of Workers and Peasants is sweeping all before it! Minsk is in our sights and perhaps even Warsaw. The Germans in the pocket shiver in their rudimentary trenches eating their dead horses and ruing the Red Vengence that they will taste! But we can't gloat just yet Comrades, we must hold Leningrad and Rostov for a complete victory over our class enemies!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (913.3 KiB) Viewed 364 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Members of the Politburo, what did Napoleon say an army marched on?

Now, let's not always see the same hands.

"oh oh oh, pick me Comrade Stalin, pick me!"

Sigh, ok, Comrade Thickheadedsmof.

"On its feet Comrade Stalin!"

Excellent you are dumb enough to live! The correct answer is on its stomach Comrades, and, as you can see, the Germans southern supply line goes right through Kiev and we have an entire army poised to strike south. It may cost of PP do move them beyond their boundary, but a glittering prize awaits!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (726.78 KiB) Viewed 364 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Exciting news from the Central Front Comrades! The pocket has been liquidated!!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (620.16 KiB) Viewed 364 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Comrade Vasilevsky!

Yes Comrade Khrushchev?

[Khrushchev muttering under his breath] a traitor to his country says what did you say.

What did you say Comrade Khrushchev?

Ah Ha! Just as I suspected! Boys, based on this confession by Comrade Vasilevsky take him away and give him a taste of Proletarian justice!

Bang!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (747.86 KiB) Viewed 364 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Comrades!

The end is nigh for the Hitlerite regime as the Red Army of Workers and Peasants sweeps all before it. Our advance patrols see the towers of Warsaw in their field glasses, the Finns are cut off in the north and more German divisions are pocketed near Stalingrad. It's a matter of time Comrades, just a matter of time.

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (884.39 KiB) Viewed 365 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

STAL-IN STAL-IN STAL-IN STAL-IN

ALL HAIL THE DEFENDER OF THE REVOLUTION, LIBERATOR OF WARSAW AND ALL AROUND PROLETARIAT OF THE YEAR!!!!![&o][&o][&o]

That game was a whole lot of fun!!! It was very tense up until the mud. The Germans attacking Rostov and at the gates of Stalingrad was real nail biting time. Even then, the Germans could have held on except that the AI (as is the case with most AIs) could not handle an encirclement and lost far too many divisions that it could have used to hold me back.

A few notes,

1. Khrushchev is a nice touch, but he really does not seem to add much to the Soviet side. He shot a few generals, but he did not seem to really have much to do. For the most part Stalin went nuts either by bad luck (really I rolled a 1 on turn 1) or when major cities fell. Zhukov was good and there were times when he was needed in two places at once.

2. It would be nice to have a hot key that would bring all army HQ to the top of the stacks. I spent a lot of time trying to find army HQs so I could keep units in command and it was frustrating to hunt through stacks to try to find the HQs. If there was more than one HQ in a hex perhaps bring them to the top and stack them in numerical order.

3. Related to the army HQs issue is that once winter comes it can be hard to spot the units assigned to an army since these are outlined in white on a white field. There was a lot of squinting involved.

4. When the Southern Front HQ relocated to Gorki when Stalingrad was under threat I could not easily access the Khrushchev cards (but, then, see comment number one).

5. The armored brigades card is a nice touch but by the time it comes into play almost all, if not all, of the soviet tank divisions were down to a fraction of their former strength just by moving.

6. supply seemed to be all or nothing. The Germans at the very end of the tether in southern Russia either had 100% supply unless they were surrounded in which case they typically had 0% supply. That may be a function of playing the AI but lots of pixel proletariat died to make sure bridges got blown and I"m not sure if it made any difference.

But, these are mere nits to pick. As I said above, I had a lot of fun playing this game. It really was a nail biter and since I found myself complaining to myself a lot about how strong the Germans that means it was good balance.

Next time I'll try the Germans!

Attachments
Barb1.jpg
Barb1.jpg (578.08 KiB) Viewed 366 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Oh, one more thing. At the end of the game it would be nice to examine the condition of the German troops. I wonder if FOW could be turned off once you've won or lost the game.
John Barr
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Very entertaining!
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Return to “After Action Report”