Modding

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
SteveD64

Modding

Post by SteveD64 »

Is there anyway to mod the graphics in this game (counters, map etc)
?
Uxbridge

RE: Modding

Post by Uxbridge »

This is my question also. I would like to have a go at another map type. Where is the graphics located? Are they hardcoded or hidden somewhere in the steamy Windows 10 undergrowth?
sage3

Post by sage3 »

It looked like everything was packed into a single .dat file when I checked previously.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Does anyone know What program is required to open the .dat file in the game directory?
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

If this game does not become moddable with future patches,then I for one will shelve it.[:@]
Make it so!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Quite like that old Napoleon in Italy game. I think Matrix still sells it.

Because I am a poor player, I will get my $30 out of it. Also a lot like Last Days of Earth in terms of general mechanics. That was $25 and has skirmish.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have uninstalled this game,I've had enough of the games crappy Naval game, its RUBBISH. I know that there is a new patch in the pipeline,that is supposed to improve the naval game, but to be honest, I'm tired of waiting to hear anything,this forum is dead, and the game is only months old,enough said![:@]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

My anger at the lack of information regarding this games development, has subsided,to a level that I miss playing the game, its just the Naval part that really really annoys me, so I have channelled my frustration in a positive way, by creating a Naval combat system that the game could possibly look at using!

If the game designers, ever see this, I have created a Naval Combat system, that reflects naval combat during the Napoleonic wars, more accurately than is currently available to the game. I have play tested the below system, to a new board game, I made for my own use! ( Any gamer's who are interested in Naval board games, I give you a ready made set of combat rules that work enjoy )

Napoleon Victory & Glory Naval Combat

Sequence of action.

1 = Each side rolls 1 d6, to see who gets the wind gauge, the player that gets, the highest die roll attacks first!

Weather gauge optional rule:

The player can choose to disengage,instead of attacking,since he has the weather gauge,he alone is in a position to dictate,when and if battle actually occurs! If he is the weaker force, the logical course of action would be to leave the battle area, with the knowledge that your stronger opponent, is powerless to attempt any pursuit.

2 = Each ship then rolls 1 die, in turn, to see if they can damage their target, a die roll of 1,2,or 3 = miss. A die roll of 4,5 or 6 = Hit.
(If this is the first hit, the target ship has sustained, then place a Light Damage marker, on the ship, to show that it has been damaged.)

3 = If the same ship is targeted a second time, by another ship, and it receives another hit, then remove the Light Damage marker, and replace it, with a Medium damage marker!
( Damage is cumulative )

4 = At the end of each round of combat, after all ships have attacked, the player may attempt to repair any damage sustained, by rolling 1 d6 per level of ship quality, for each of the damaged ships.
A roll of 6 is required to remove 1 step of damage. ( NB: Each ship can only remove 1 step of damage, regardless of the number of 6s rolled )

SHIP QUALITY LEVELS:

British = Level 4 ships.

France & Spain = Level 3 ships.

Russia & Turkey = Level 2 ships.

Cumulative damage table.

1 hit = Light Damage ( If this is the only damage, a ship sustains during a battle, after the battle is over, the ship then returns, to the nearest friendly port for repairs.
(It takes 2 turns or Months to repair Light Damage in port.)

2 hits = Medium Damage ( After the battle is over, the ship returns, to the nearest friendly port for repairs.
(It takes 3 turns or Months to repair Medium Damage in port.)

3 hits = Heavy Damage ( After the battle is over, the ship returns, to the nearest friendly port for repairs.
(It takes 4 turns or Months to repair Heavy Damage in port.)

4 hits = Critical Hit ( If a ship receives 4 hits, during the course, of any round of battle, the player then immediately rolls 1 d6, to see what level of damage is inflicted on the ship:

CRITICAL HIT RE-ROLL

A roll of 1,2,or 3 then the ship is Disabled, and it cannot attack for the remainder of the battle.
(If a player decides to retreat at the end of the battle, all ships that are in a disabled state, are captured by the enemy.)

A roll of 4 or 5 = Ship is immediately CAPTURED! ( Strikes its colours and surrenders )

A roll of 6 = Ship is SUNK!
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Does anyone know What program is required to open the .dat file in the game directory? I want to mod this game, it might take me Months to find what program created the dat file, so if the developers won't make it easy I will find out for myself. This game is a gem, that needs a few tweaks that is all,I ask you why do some people just release a game and then leave there paying customers hanging? I tell you this it is not the way to do business.[:@]
Make it so!
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Does anyone know What program is required to open the .dat file in the game directory? I want to mod this game, it might take me Months to find what program created the dat file, so if the developers won't make it easy I will find out for myself. This game is a gem, that needs a few tweaks that is all,I ask you why do some people just release a game and then leave there paying customers hanging? I tell you this it is not the way to do business.[:@]

+1
Richard
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Maybe if the developers made the game more modding friendly,then this little gem just might actually attract more interest from the gaming community as a whole? The vast majority of games here on the Matrix forum, are modder friendly,which for the most part only adds to the games longevity.[;)]
Make it so!
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Well, the short answer is that the format of the game's database is proprietary and you cannot modify it yourself.

May I ask what in particular you want to modify?

The next release is going to be a maintenance release only. That is, only bug fixes. But I would like to get an idea as to what people want to change. Maybe someday - that distant time of great change and upheaval - we'll be able to do something to accommodate your request. I am sorry that I can't do anything about this right now.

Thanks for your input and interest in the game.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi my biggest issue with the game is Naval related. I can except the fact that Britain has a strength 4 for its ships,because it had the best trained crews during the period,what I don't like and is a game breaker for me is the one shot ship sunk rolled that needs removed from the game completely.Ships of the line were designed to withstand a lot of punishment,there is nothing wrong with them taking damage per die attack,that I like.I can count on my one hand the amount of times a ship of the line actually was sunk during fleet battles during the entire Napoleonic era,ships were severely damaged and captured,and maybe a 1 in a 100 chance of a 3rd rate or larger sinking.

The other naval issue is transporting land forces,these should be restricted the same as fleet movement of 3 sea area's per turn,none of this beam me up Scotty stuff.[;)]

Naval game fix, minimum requirement suggestion:

1 = Remove 1 shot wonder ship sunk from the game!

2 = Remove Port - Port any number of sea area transport ( Beam me up Scotty)

3 = New ship type ( Transport ) that can carry no more than 3 Land unit's: 3 Infantry or 3 Cavalry or 3 Artillery, or any permutations off theses, 1 Infantry, 1 Cavalry & 1 Artillery.

4 = These new Transports move 3 sea areas as per Warships.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have created a new Naval Combat Template,it is based on the Land Combat system,with the combat line broken up into 3 sections Line of Battle:

Van = Front of ship formation

Centre = Middle of ship formation

Rear = Rear of ship formation

Attachments
NAPOLEONIC..TLEAREA.jpg
NAPOLEONIC..TLEAREA.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

If there is going to be any future patches,could you please please remove the 1 shot wonder from the naval game.

Naval game fix, minimum requirement suggestion:

1 = Remove 1 shot wonder ship sunk from the game! [;)]
Make it so!
ajksr

Post by ajksr »

I recently purchased this game and seems I may have made a mistake?
As I have said since 2011 - "Battle On..."
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Its not a bad game out of the box, just extremely limited. It could have benefited greatly from some solid playtesting and tweaking. But it appears to be a dead project at this point. Even the original Kickstarter board game it was supposed be based on was abandoned and 're-imagined' into a much more simplistic game.

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”