Campaign?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
surfcandy

RE: Campaign?

Post by surfcandy »

I have been following this game and from what I see scenarios can be quite lengthy and there seems to be a nice number of them. I totally get wanting a Campaign, especially for $39. The nature of this genre is that the games are few and expensive especially so for the Deseret War during WW2 even boardgames don't over represent this war in any significant numbers.

Again I totally agree a Campaign even a couple of short ones should have been included. That being said the game comes with a editor that I hope is powerful and intuitive allowing for some talented people to start creating scenarios.
harley9699

Post by harley9699 »

Well, crap. Didn't realize it was only scenarios without a campaign.

I'm out. Will just wait for a sale in a year or two then.
(unfortunate, as I own most of the catalog)
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

I just want to know if it has good gameplay, campaign, Steam aside. I would like to see some reviews online. I like the graphics. I noticed "Wego" Does this means it plays like Guns of August? I liked that.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I want a North African Campaign game too. But this is not the game for it. Wrong scale (time and unit). Hence my zero interest in it. Hopefully one day Matrix or someone will do a North African Campaign game.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

Michael have you considered WiW?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well despite what I said previously I have bought the game. I am one of those desperate for a proper, land, naval and air, War In The Desert 1940-1943.

If games like this are successful it shows an interest in the campaigns in the desert so on that basis this game has my money campaign or no.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I want a North African Campaign game too. But this is not the game for it. Wrong scale (time and unit). Hence my zero interest in it. Hopefully one day Matrix or someone will do a North African Campaign game.

Editor allows to adjust unit and space scale as one desires. Eventually, someone will make it happen.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I actually devised my own NA Campaign from March 1941 to Dec 1942 with John Tillers 'Southern Front'. Worked rather well. But that series of games came to an end so the player base and hence opponents is miniscule.

yes I tried WIW, IIRC the North African part of the game is only for the late period, post 42.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Well, maybe you could make it happen, Michael.

Great campaign games can be very fun against human opponents, but I find they tend to suck out all the air from the room... distracting development from getting the basics "right", as they try to balance or patch loopholes in the rules which take 100s of man hours to identify, and only happen in campaign games.

In the case of Desert War, most of the major battles are modelled, leaving out the strategic factors that constrained operations. I am personally tired of games that mix up operational and strategic war fighting only to end with a bland mixture that pleases no one. This one gets right the operational, and I find that personally extremely satisfying.

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”