Freeze

Your panzer is not running well? Stop here and tell us what's happening!
dapedius

Freeze

Post by dapedius »

Hi,

I had a freeze near the end of the tutorial and the end of a phase of play ... just said 'please wait' and never recovered from that.

I installed the Java version supplied with the program but noticed there was an update so I have applied the update and will continue playing an monitor.

Not sure if there is any logs that can be caught when get into this situation that may help?

Thanks
Saint Ruth

RE: Freeze

Post by Saint Ruth »

There's a autoave after the end of each turn. Can you load that and try again adn see if it happens again?
Also, check in your "My Games\DesertWar" dir. Is there an Error.txt file there?
dapedius

Post by dapedius »

Thanks for the quick response and information.

No there is no Error.txt file there and I reload the move which is the last move in the scenario I believe move 8 and got the freeze again.

I will email you my move8 files if you want ... I am playing Allied following the tutorial.
russkly

Post by russkly »

Have same problem on completing the tutorial scenario - on clicking "Proceed to next phase" after final turn (8), I get the screen with the photo of British inf and "Please wait", which continues ad nauseam.

No error.txt file either.

This has happened on all 3 occasions I've tried the tutorial scenario.
russkly

Post by russkly »

Any thoughts anyone, pls?

I'm reluctant to begin any other scenarios, if I can't be sure I can actually complete them.

R
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

Exact same problem for me.
budd

Post by budd »

Just happened to me also.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
echo9c

Post by echo9c »

Exact same thing just happened to me.

On clicking "Proceed to next phase" after final turn (8), I get the screen with the photo of British inf and "Please wait", which continues until I close the game with task manager.
erthalion

Post by erthalion »

Same issue for me. Unfortunately, there is no error log or something that I could find.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

I've been looking at this and think I may have reproduced it.

Were you flicking between the game and some other application? For example, flicking between the game and the manual while it said "Please Wait..."?

I think that is what is causing this.

For the short term, don't open (or maximise) any other screen when it says "Please Wait". [8D]
I will of course try and fix it.

Thanks,
Brian [:)]
erthalion

Post by erthalion »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

Were you flicking between the game and some other application? For example, flicking between the game and the manual while it said "Please Wait..."?

I think that is what is causing this.

For the short term, don't open (or maximise) any other screen when it says "Please Wait". [8D]
I will of course try and fix it.

I can partially confirm that. At the first time I switched between the task manager window and the game just to see what's going on. Now I tried to not switch between windows/open new windows. Here is what happened (maybe it's actually a bit different from others, I'm not sure):

* I finished a "movie" for the last turn and clicked to go to the next phase
* "Please Wait" screen (loader is animating)
* I was waiting for 20 mins not touching anything (I assume it's enough for whatever should be there after this screen)
* "Please Wait" is still there (loader is animating)
* I switched to the task manager, then back
* "Please Wait" is still there (loader isn't animating, so probably that's the freeze you're taking about)
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: erthalion
I can partially confirm that. At the first time I switched between the task manager window and the game just to see what's going on. Now I tried to not switch between windows/open new windows. Here is what happened (maybe it's actually a bit different from others, I'm not sure):

* I finished a "movie" for the last turn and clicked to go to the next phase
* "Please Wait" screen (loader is animating)
* I was waiting for 20 mins not touching anything (I assume it's enough for whatever should be there after this screen)
* "Please Wait" is still there (loader is animating)
* I switched to the task manager, then back
* "Please Wait" is still there (loader isn't animating, so probably that's the freeze you're taking about)
20 mins?
Were you playing an AI vs AI game with the "Skip AI turns" turned on???
That can take a while as it plays both sides and only shows the film when the game is over.

I have a fix for the Freeze with opening/closing the window. Will be in a patch, thanks.
erthalion

Post by erthalion »

Were you playing an AI vs AI game with the "Skip AI turns" turned on???
That can take a while as it plays both sides and only shows the film when the game is over.

Nope. As you may remember, it was mentioned in this thread that the problem appears at the introductory scenario as well as any other, and there is no "AI vs AI" in it, so please focus. This problem also happened for me when I tried to play "Gazala: First five days", but I was playing "Human vs AI" (even without "Skip AI turns"). As much as I enjoy the idea behind this game and it's historical accuracy, I don't really like the idea of being a game tester.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Nope. As you may remember, it was mentioned in this thread that the problem appears at the introductory scenario as well as any other, and there is no "AI vs AI" in it, so please focus. This problem also happened for me when I tried to play "Gazala: First five days", but I was playing "Human vs AI" (even without "Skip AI turns"). As much as I enjoy the idea behind this game and it's historical accuracy, I don't really like the idea of being a game tester.
Sorry about the bug, but unfortunately I've never encountered it (where the animation isn't frozen).

Perhaps it's related to the Freeze and fixing that will fix this (with the upcoming fix, you should also be able to "Close" the game without having to kill it in the Task Manager)?

Can you say in what percentage of games this has happened?
If you reload an autosave game and redo, does it happen again?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

never had it happen once even in over 6 months of testing it :(
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
erthalion

Post by erthalion »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Well, there is a chance that it's just some weird quirk on my windows 8 installation,
but it's actually almost untouched, since I don't really use it.

Yes, that's exactly how I reproduce it right now - I'm going to the autosave for the last turn
and continue from it.

I've managed to run it under drstrace to get a log of syscalls. The sequence of actions was:

* start autorun under drstrace
* "play game"
* "resume" the last autosave
* go to next phase
* wait for a few minutes
* kill the task and exit

Significant part of the log is polluted with the following pattern:

Code: Select all

NtReleaseMutant
 NtDelayExecution
 NtWaitForMultipleObjects

It feels like the main thread is waiting for some object without success.
I can send you the full log via direct message.
russkly

Post by russkly »

Same fault from reloading saves.

Only finished the tutorial thus far, but I fear I will have the same problem when I finish Operazione E.

Good luck with the fix.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

I just bought the game the other day and I also have this freeze problem at the end of playing a scenario.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Me too I finally figured some things out thought I would win the starting (tutorial) scenario had played the movie as usual one frame at a time after done hit to advance and as described went to the picture and please wait - wait - wait

I had finished the scenario earlier (and lost) and it did not freeze but this time add me to the problem listmwith the rest.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Well, there is a chance that it's just some weird quirk on my windows 8 installation,
but it's actually almost untouched, since I don't really use it.

Yes, that's exactly how I reproduce it right now - I'm going to the autosave for the last turn
and continue from it.

I've managed to run it under drstrace to get a log of syscalls. The sequence of actions was:

* start autorun under drstrace
* "play game"
* "resume" the last autosave
* go to next phase
* wait for a few minutes
* kill the task and exit

Significant part of the log is polluted with the following pattern:

Code: Select all

NtReleaseMutant
 NtDelayExecution
 NtWaitForMultipleObjects

It feels like the main thread is waiting for some object without success.
I can send you the full log via direct message.

i'll try your way and see if i can reproduce it, not that it will matter, as it's the developer who will need to and try and if what your all seeing and is happening, just not sure as yet why not on mine, but will follow yours and see if now i can, thanks and sorry for all your issues
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “Tech Support”