And now something completely different (new Victory Condition idea)

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Taxman66

And now something completely different (new Victory Condition idea)

Post by Taxman66 »

I came up with an idea to completely restructure the victory conditions.
This idea is based off a very old board game (Victory in the Pacific) where you count victory points each turn for territory you control.

(This is the base idea, exact numbers, cities and values etc... are all fungible).

At the end of each turn (Allied & Axis) each side counts:
4 points for each of: Washington D.C., Paris, London, Moscow, Rome, Berlin.
2 point for each of: New York, Manchester, Cairo, Warsaw, Leningrad, Stalingrad, <Italian secondary Capital>, <German secondary Capital>.
1 point for all other cities listed as a National Morale city (would have to determine if this should apply for minor countries or just major powers).

When complete conquest of one side is achieved (though in reality Axis would have a 'win' long before they take everything) calculate all points from that turn to the end of the game for the conquering side.*

At the end of the game (either time runs out or conquest), subtract the Axis point total from the Allied point total and compare to a table:
to determine victory (and level thereof). Exact values of the table entries would need to be determined.

*Yes, typically this floods points to the Allies, but the victory table would be based on that.

---------
Benefits:
This would encourage 'Play to the end' for any game that isn't a run away.
This would encourage players to 'Go get the valuable cities as soon as possible'.
This would encourage players attempting to 'Keep valuable cities as long as possible'. (and leave the possibility open for 'mistakes' like those made in real life, e.g. Stalingrad)
This would provide more temptation to go for 'All of France' and get all the victory hexes instead of leaving them to 'Neutral Vichy'*
This gets rid of the silly 'Paradrop on London after blasting the defending unit for the win'.

*Though perhaps Germany declaring war on Vichy or her territories should have more consequences (in particular declaring war on Vichy proper should bring Algeria, Tunisia & Syria directly to the Allies).

Question:
The actual coding changes (once values have been determined) should be rather easy to code. However, I have no idea if this could be done in a Mod (deactivate current victory settings & set up the scoring system);
or if it would require the developers involvement.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
PvtBenjamin

RE: And now something completely different (new Victory Condition idea)

Post by PvtBenjamin »

Good idea.

If I recall SC in past versions had levels of victories (decisive, draw etc) maybe that could be incorporated.

It's not possible to protect London with a couple AA's (lv 2) and the city lv 3/4 (with other surrounding troops)?

If not that should definitely change.
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

I've revamped my victory conditions as well which are listed below with a few key reasons below which I thought I might as well share to contribute to this conversation.

1. The Axis will now have to secure an oil rich region before the Allies will accept an Axis Decisive Victory.
2. Germany can now achieve a multitude of victory conditions, measurable against their historic surrender date. This should lead players into willing playing the defensive end game as Germany.

Axis Decisive Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrad, Cairo, Baghdad or Baku)

Axis Triumphant Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow) - May 1945

Axis Significant Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London or Moscow) - May 1945

Axis Minor Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris) - May 1945

Axis Marginal Victory (Berlin, Warsaw, Paris) - May 1945

Allied Decisive Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow, Washington D.C.)
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

PJL1973

Post by PJL1973 »

Personally I think the victory conditions for a well balanced game should be something like this:

Axis Total Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow, Astrakhan, Gorky, Archangel

Axis Strategic Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris) - Jul 1945

Axis Tactical Victory (Berlin) - Jul 1945

Allied Tactical Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow, Washington D.C.) - Jun 1945

Allied Strategic Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow, Washington D.C.) - Dec 1944

Allied Total Victory (Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, London, Moscow, Washington D.C.) - Jun 1944

Reasoning for the latter 3 objectives in the first case was the Axis plan of basically stopping at the Archangel - Astrakhan line and giving the Soviets a ceasefire / treaty, so that the Axis could then turn on Britain & the US.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

More versatile is better. Conditional regions or resources as well as cities along with certain unit counts(most important/decisive) could be awarded points.
SeaMonkey
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

The victory conditions are already versatile. There are decisive victories, majors, minors and draws. Give 3 points to the first, then 2, 1 and 0.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”