WEGO?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
Toby42

WEGO?

Post by Toby42 »

Is this like Piercing Fortress Europa? I have that and I couldn't warm up to it! I also have Campaigns on the Danube and Guns of August. Didn't much care for them on also...The only WEGO games that I liked were the V4V games years ago!
Tony
spinecruncher

RE: WEGO?

Post by spinecruncher »

PFE is extremely chrome. This game, so far I am an hour in, has a lot more depth, many more functions, and units. PFE I think it the most chrome game I ever played. The WEGO system is like the format of the game, which is the commonality, but not the content of PFE. I think this game has some serious possibility. The if this game gets a following, I think a lot can be done here. Time will tell how the community picks it up, but I suspect some positive reviews from the grognards.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I was ready to buy last night and I saw that it is WEGO. Like I stated earlier I've not had a good WEGO for awhile? I guess that I'll wait and see for a bit!
Tony
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

WEGO are great! The old V for Victory series was wego and were excellent! Truly the only way to play a war game. IGOUGO is a sad throw back to board games, historically the only way one could play. But with computers wego should be the standard!
Capt. Cliff
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Don't be making fun of board games![:)] I played them in the 60's until computer games became available!
Tony
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

My two pennyworth!

Logically WeGo should be a more accurate portrayal than IGoUGo, BUT in reality with ground warfare it was very rare for both sides to have equal initiative and so usually one side attacked and the other reacted. On the rare occasions when there was a true 'meeting engagement' on greater than company scale it resulted in the opponent with the lesser initiative falling back to a defensive mode, so IGoUGo really isn't that bad!

In tactical combat whether in the air, on the sea, or on land, then WeGo is essential nowadays.

Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Toby42

Don't be making fun of board games![:)] I played them in the 60's until computer games became available!

[:D][:D][:D][:D] ... Yeah me too started in college with that old Avalon Hill World War I game ... can't remember it's name ... ah ... another senior moment! Well IgoUgo games are horse and buggy ... too bad War in the East is IgoUgo ...
Capt. Cliff
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

[:D][:D][:D][:D] ... Yeah me too started in college with that old Avalon Hill World War I game ... can't remember it's name ... ah ... another senior moment! Well IgoUgo games are horse and buggy ... too bad War in the East is IgoUgo ...

My first board game was Avalon Hills Afrika Korps. I still have it, so I'll probably jump in on this one! I still like shiny new things....
Tony
Royal Fusilier

Post by Royal Fusilier »

... Yeah me too started in college with that old Avalon Hill World War I game ... can't remember it's name ... ah ... another senior moment! Well IgoUgo games are horse and buggy ... too bad War in the East is IgoUgo ...

That would be Guns of August. I still have my copy.
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Wow, yes, Guns of August! I recall looking at that and 'War and Peace' (Napoleonic) and shirking at the price tag, something like $300 at today's prices!

Of course, 'Diplomacy' was WeGo and there's players still trying to sort out conflicts in the rules because of that!

So I think some degree of random chance, or 'initiative' has to be used to move one side first even in WeGo today to resolve head-on unit collisions.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Energisteron

Wow, yes, Guns of August! I recall looking at that and 'War and Peace' (Napoleonic) and shirking at the price tag, something like $300 at today's prices!

Of course, 'Diplomacy' was WeGo and there's players still trying to sort out conflicts in the rules because of that!

So I think some degree of random chance, or 'initiative' has to be used to move one side first even in WeGo today to resolve head-on unit collisions.

Good point! So when opposing units are plotted to the same empty hex, what happens? Are they all treated as meeting engagements?
Tony
Royal Fusilier

Post by Royal Fusilier »

ORIGINAL: Energisteron

Wow, yes, Guns of August! I recall looking at that and 'War and Peace' (Napoleonic) and shirking at the price tag, something like $300 at today's prices! Of course, 'Diplomacy' was WeGo and there's players still trying to sort out conflicts in the rules because of that! So I think some degree of random chance, or 'initiative' has to be used to move one side first even in WeGo today to resolve head-on unit collisions.

I also still have my War and Peace game. Ah the memories.

If memory serves, in the Operation Crusader game; which DW closely resembles; units with a higher readiness got priority to move into a hex before a lower reediness opposing move. I assume some sort of mechanic in DW mirrors that.
ETF

Post by ETF »

WEGO are great! The old V for Victory series was wego and were excellent! Truly the only way to play a war game. IGOUGO is a sad throw back to board games, historically the only way one could play. But with computers wego should be the standard!

100% agree. If I see IGOUGO I know it is usually a weaker program. All the best of my purchases have been the WEGO's
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”