AI- ??

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
AP514

AI- ??

Post by AP514 »

So Will the AI be any good ?? Or will it be like most games made after the mid 90's where Graphic's come first and the AI is an after thought ?
wodin

RE: AI- ??

Post by wodin »

Funny, A silver lining being useless gamer in general is on the whole AIs are fine for me. The big hinderence though is when it comes to online FPS games, being useless then is a drag!

Sorry for going on tangent, the little I've seen it seems OK, but I'm prob not the best to ask!
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: AP514

So Will the AI be any good ?? Or will it be like most games made after the mid 90's where Graphic's come first and the AI is an after thought ?
The AI has two levels; self defense...and then--you versus me.

Self Defense. Units have inherent capabilities to defend themselves. Reconnaissance units are the best example. Their role (unless you change it--which you can) is to collect information and report it; their job is NOT to fight. Therefore, recce units by default will seek to avoid combat.

You vs Me. As it says, the AI is 99.9% you versus me--literally. Desert War 1940-42 uses a scripting language to describe the actions to be performed by the AI. I have described those actions. So if you do a good job and the AI loses--you beat me. Let me know how you won and I'll make it harder the next time around. This is the power the scenario writer can wield with the AI. If this, then that...deep dive into the decision tree! It's the most exciting part of the engine.

And so it follows...if the AI sucks, so does the scenario designer. If the AI issues an ass-whoopin'? Then full props to the scribe.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: bcgames
This is the power the scenario writer can wield with the AI. If this, then that...deep dive into the decision tree! It's the most exciting part of the engine.

You have my attention. I was going to pass on this, but I will follow the forum with interest to see how the AI performs.
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Can anyone describe the benefits of scripted A.I ? I have always been very sceptical about it. It seems like the lazy way to go when not managing to create a dynamical A.I. A scripted A.I for me is an opponent which are very inflexible in handling unpredicted player moves. Or one that is cheating by already knowing where, when and which strength the player will have at a give point.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: KarlXII

Can anyone describe the benefits of scripted A.I ? I have always been very sceptical about it. It seems like the lazy way to go when not managing to create a dynamical A.I. A scripted A.I for me is an opponent which are very inflexible in handling unpredicted player moves. Or one that is cheating by already knowing where, when and which strength the player will have at a give point.
Hi, good question.

Well, first off, the AI doesn't cheat, and has no more knowledge than you do when planning its moves.

I did original try and create a dynamic AI and did it for the defense (it choose its own line of defense using terrain etc) but defense is one think but attack? That's an entire different kettle of fish. That'd be a Rommel AI in effect.

So why scripted AI?
By "scripted" I do not mean every unit has its orders plotted in advance.
The scenario creator does the AI 'strategic plan'. The AI has tactical controls over the units.
The script orders "Organisations" to move / attack (e.g. a Brigade or entire Division -> though it can also give orders to individual units)
So the AI might have a script to say "21 Panzer attack north" and all individual orders for each unit would be done by the AI (deciding what enemies to attack, how to position its units, how to allocate air / artillery etc).
The script is also responsive. E.g. it could be "if British attack south then 21 Panzer... " etc.
And also has priority scripts and random chance of scripts being activated etc.

Frankly, now that I've done it, I prefer it because it means the Scenario Creator can make (or not) Rommel attack in exactly the same way as he did. The Scenario creator can make the AI as simple or as complicated as he likes.

Sure, it'd be nice to have the AI do the whole shebang regardless of terrain, deployment, number of units and their strengths etc, but its strategy would never match that produced by a good Scenario Creator...(one can of course "force" an non-scripted AI to do certain things like in attack in a direction by using Victory Locations to influence the AI, but then if you're going to do that, then why not talk to the AI directly with scripts rather than indirectly though victory locations)...
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Thanks for the explanation.

Good to hear the A.I is not cheating by neglecting Fog-Of-War or whatever.

I now understand the balance between supporting scenario designers vs more A.I autonomy. The performance of the A.I is then very much the result of how good the scenario designer is. Still the tactical A.I seems to be very autonomous on the tactical level. I hope that part will be improved upon continously to get the best possible tactical A.I. Isn´t it a problem that the tactical A.I lack the strategic view of the battlefield and will be unable to cooperate with other units which has other scripted goals ?

Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi,
For Orgs with different scripted goals, they should still tactically co-operate. E.g. 2 Regiments attacking along a road with different orders will combine their attacks etc.
Is there room for improvement? Sure!
I do hope to continually improve the tactical AI. The more people who play it, the more feedback I'll get hopefully adn the better it'll get! [;)]
Thanks!
Brian
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Well, now I want to play the game as well :-)

AP514

Post by AP514 »

You got me Leaning that way also...thanks for the reply....
giffin

Post by giffin »

Well I would say the AI is very Good I still haven't beat the Tutorial 1st Scenario. Anybody have any hints how to beat the Axis? Yes I have watched both Video's 1 on Youtube and the other on Twitch and they were No help :(
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: giffin

Well I would say the AI is very Good I still haven't beat the Tutorial 1st Scenario. Anybody have any hints how to beat the Axis? Yes I have watched both Video's 1 on Youtube and the other on Twitch and they were No help :(

giffin, did you read my player's guide/tutorial for the first turn of the Bardia scenario? If you use all of your assets, it should be relatively easy to win that scenario.

Desert War players guide-tutorial
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: SlickWilhelm

ORIGINAL: giffin

giffin, did you read my player's guide/tutorial for the first turn of the Bardia scenario? If you use all of your assets, it should be relatively easy to win that scenario.

Desert War players guide-tutorial

Thank you SlickWilhelm I will go over this again. I think I am not allocating proper supplies and grouping my units correctly to win battles.
ETF

Post by ETF »

Been wargaming on PC's since the 80's. Never seen an AI (non-cheating) better than a decent beginner player. Let's face it....if you want a challenge you can ONLY play against friends online.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

True - the AI usually wins because it knows the rules better than you. But the scripting thing is a nice addition.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

The Desert War AI scripting language is our attempt to codify the US Army's wargaming methodology--from the Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield (IPB) to Course of Action Development to the Decision Support Template (DST)--and then put it in the hands of the scenario designer. That's Y-O-U.

Even YOU the scenario designer can't create an AI that cheats. If the AI needs to know something to make a decision, then YOU the scenario designer need to allocate reconnaissance assets at the right time and at the right place to get the right info to trigger the decision YOU thought needed to be made.

I can't imagine a more funner (gooder?) place to play for a would-be modder/scenario creator.
daj

Post by daj »

so far I can't say that the AI is very good.

After playing the introductory scenario I played into the blue, first as axis then allies. I lost by about 20 points as Allies, but given the lousy Italian units I should have been killed. I started to worry about both the strategy and tactics of the AI for allies. You would think that the main objective beyond destroying axis units would be to capture the objective hexes. By turn 5 the allies were within 2 squares of Sofafi but never attempted any further assaults, relying only on artillery of air attacks. Worse, initial attack at El Maktila drove to the sea and isolated my units to the east. I thought this is and I can kiss those units goodbye as supply was cut off. But no the allies sat there and made no further attacks. Instead I was able to surround the units cutting off their supply and eventually eliminate them on the 14th turn.

When playing the allies the AI axis strategy seemed to be even worse. Unlike the AI my allies did destroy all the units isolated at El Maktila. I captured Sofafi by turn 5 with little resistance and walked into Sidi Barani with no resistance at all. Given the point value these have for the axis I would have thought that the strategy would be to protect and hold these hexes at all costs.

So far I have to agree with ETF that AI is not good.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you're a much better player than I, which can be a curse in versus-AI games!

However, if that happens to me, I will go into the editor and dump a new enemy unit in Sofafi and Sidi Barani to defend. At least we have the ability to "tweak" the scenarios. But for those unwilling to do some quick editing - and in my experience many are unwilling - it might be a problem.

I and a friend plan to support the game by buying it. So have you. Our hope is the devs and modders will come through with new scenarios or adjust existing ones if needed. I know I haven't played the game yet, but I feel it is a good investment.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: daj

so far I can't say that the AI is very good.

After playing the introductory scenario I played into the blue, first as axis then allies. I lost by about 20 points as Allies, but given the lousy Italian units I should have been killed. I started to worry about both the strategy and tactics of the AI for allies. You would think that the main objective beyond destroying axis units would be to capture the objective hexes. By turn 5 the allies were within 2 squares of Sofafi but never attempted any further assaults, relying only on artillery of air attacks. Worse, initial attack at El Maktila drove to the sea and isolated my units to the east. I thought this is and I can kiss those units goodbye as supply was cut off. But no the allies sat there and made no further attacks. Instead I was able to surround the units cutting off their supply and eventually eliminate them on the 14th turn.

When playing the allies the AI axis strategy seemed to be even worse. Unlike the AI my allies did destroy all the units isolated at El Maktila. I captured Sofafi by turn 5 with little resistance and walked into Sidi Barani with no resistance at all. Given the point value these have for the axis I would have thought that the strategy would be to protect and hold these hexes at all costs.

So far I have to agree with ETF that AI is not good.

This is disappointing to hear. Keep us posted on your experiences with the other scenarios.
daj

Post by daj »

I finished into the blue as the allies and scored about 1350 vs 180 for axis. I watched the game review video step by step to follow the AI axis strategy and tactics. In general it appears that the AI did not bring released units into the fray. The units south of Bugbear just sat there, didn't even take up what appears to be better defensive positions based on terrain. Same for the units near bir el khireqat, they never came to support units I was attacking near Sofafi. When the units fixed near Sidi Barrani were released THEY ALL RETREATED to the west to join the bugbear forces but allowing me to kill off the remaining forces in the battle and take Sidi Barrani without resistance.

Overall, the AI did not bring reinforcements into the battles so that I could outnumber, overpower, and wipe out those in battle.
The quick start guide recommends moving HQ's to keep them out of artillery range and fire. Yet I moved adjacent to a stack of 3 HQ's allowing me not only artillery attack but direct assault. So the tactics are questionable.

I hope my experience and comments might help in tweaking or improving AI.

I am starting Operazione E as axis. Given the poor quality of Italian forces it could be a tough slog.

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”