More leader queries...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Sammy5IsAlive

More leader queries...

Post by Sammy5IsAlive »

In the database many leaders have an end date (month/year). How does that work? In a previous thread it was suggested that there was a die roll each turn to decide whether they disappear. Is that effected by whether they are still in charge of a formation/their political rating etc? If they are withdrawn are you charged admin points to put in the replacement (who I assume is chosen by the AI)?

As the Axis most of the OKH/AG/Army leaders need replacing - I'm trying to work out whether it is better to do this proactively or to wait until they disappear 'naturally'?
No idea

RE: More leader queries...

Post by No idea »

Not sure about what end date exactly means but if they are preplacd you dont pay any APs
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

I think it's the "expiration date" for his availability for assignment
Aufklärungs
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Aufklaerungs

I think it's the "expiration date" for his availability for assignment

A counter example is Kesselring who should not be available after 1941 - but I am appointing him in 1942. So I guess some more explanation is needed?

I would certainly like to know the answer to this one but perhaps it is worth a reminder that political ratings are more important than any theoretical expiry dates. There is no point appointing a great commander like Runstedt if they always get auto fired the next turn.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I'am in a 1944 game i'am in shortage of soviet leader with ability >=5, both for motorized and non motorized forces. I do not know if it is by design.

I really have tons of armies to manage and i'am not sûre soviet leadership was still terrible for half the armies in 1944.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hi

There is no dice roll.

The end (start) date is a factor if a leader is available for a scenario or not.

e.g.

Leader end Date 10/42 - scenario start Date 01/43 -> Leader is not available for the scenario
Leader end Date 10/42 - scenario start Date 09/42 -> Leader will avaiable (until he get killed ingame)

Omat

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

In the database many leaders have an end date (month/year). How does that work? In a previous thread it was suggested that there was a die roll each turn to decide whether they disappear.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Got you - just to be clear though.

You are saying Kesselring in the campaign game starting in 1941 with a withdrawal date later in 1941 will in fact still be in the campaign game in later turns (1942-5) even though historically he was later the Supreme German commander in Italy.

In effect none of the leaders in this game ever get withdrawn to the west? (even if historically they were)
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hello

Yes. Yes for the e.g. for 1941-1945 Campaign Kesselring will be available until

a.) the game ends
b.) he gets killed ingame

No Leader will be withdrawn.

Omat

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Got you - just to be clear though.

You are saying Kesselring in the campaign game starting in 1941 with a withdrawal date later in 1941 will in fact still be in the campaign game in later turns (1942-5) even though historically he was later the Supreme German commander in Italy.

In effect none of the leaders in this game ever get withdrawn to the west? (even if historically they were)
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Many thanks for that!

I have actually raised this in old posts and it is one of my very old queries - so thank you so much indeed! [:)]
Omat

Post by Omat »

You are welcome!
Bertrand Russell
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

in a far-away future version we may try to implement leader withdrawals to ensure those who moved to other theaters will actually move.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Wheat

Post by Wheat »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

in a far-away future version we may try to implement leader withdrawals to ensure those who moved to other theaters will actually move.

Nooooooooooo, don't do this. If this thinking continues then, why not have leaders die that died historically and on and on.

Let the players have some options. If a leader GETS assigned in the East, then they shouldn't be transferred imo. If they don't then fine.

I wish the opening turn allowed both the German and Russian a FEW (not the whole front) options on unit reserve placements. Would make for a more varied start, less scripted opening moves etc. To a degree, more player choices is better.
beender

Post by beender »

Oh so they dont die on historical dates?

I must have played too much HOI...
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Still holding out for a combined WitE WitW game. So if you feel the need for Kesselring in Italy, send him there. Ditto for the SS Armored divisions. Maybe the Italians can hold out by themselves? Or maybe you don't care about Italy? Just going to send some mountain divisions to hold the Alpine passes?
beender

Post by beender »

I believe the two games are sufficiently resembling in system to each other to be combined as one, without too much effort. At least on the part of the developer, for players the huge map would really be daunting[:D]
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: beender

I believe the two games are sufficiently resembling in system to each other to be combined as one, without too much effort. At least on the part of the developer, for players the huge map would really be daunting[:D]

From the looks of WitE2.0 it effectively looks like you will have one game engine and a map that can be easily modded to any scenario area of Europe you could want. You may be underestimating the efforts it does take to do those modifications. But I can see the developers effectively have the possibility built in.
beender

Post by beender »

Sure, it was a expression. I have no doubt about and admire a lot the efforts developers put into WITE(never played WITW yet). Thanks to their work and unceasing refinement the game has become so addictive, of which i am a victim(another expression[:D])

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”