TopEverest vs Admiral Kamikaze - the rematch

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

topeverest

RE: production resets

Post by topeverest »

Looking into this, I feel like I should immediately reduce Armaments and air production levels to 75%

Current prod per turn and pools for active air units

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Andy M
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Do you run into supply shortest?
If not, excess Produkte does not hurt you. If yes, evac facs around to reduce prod = no AP cost.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Did a little math and decided to put off that AP spending in lieu of the next slide plan
ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Do you run into supply shortest?
If not, excess Produkte does not hurt you. If yes, evac facs around to reduce prod = no AP cost.
Andy M
topeverest

AP Plan and Unit Status

Post by topeverest »

Here is that update. Looks like I should be complete with sizing my army in 25 or so turns
including the final armor corps needed. Time will tell.

Attachments
2222.jpg
2222.jpg (305.08 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 139 Feb 10, 1944

Post by topeverest »

Enemy pulls back south of Stalino complex and evacuates remaining bridgehead in the Caucuses.

Very heavy fighting around Moscow. Russians finally busts the north fort complex and begin pushing west.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 142 March 2, 1944

Post by topeverest »

Trucks: 132 / (180)

VP 220

4 more turns of winter / snow.

Heavy fighting along most of the MLR rules the last game month. enemy has deployed his army in concentration around Moscow and in spots down to the Donets.
1. Moscow falls after enemy pulls out rather than becoming a fortress city. Very heavy fighting against a number of panzer divisions. Slow slog. Nearly completed the pincer before he pulled out
2. Stalino complex captured / neutralized. Enemy resistance in that area worn down from 6 months of continuous fighting. Note the enemy has not deployed armor more than 2 hexes below the Donets which leads me to believe that he will use the deneper defense
3. Air losses hover near 1 to 1
4. Belgorod, Orel, Kharkov and Belgorod are potential captures by end of season. Kursk is less likely but possible.
5. 12 new armor corps are training and will have each a heavy tank and sapper regiment. They will be used in the summer campaign.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Production Levels

Post by topeverest »

Here is the current production levels. Note the increase in resources.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (111.52 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

RE: Production Levels - AFV

Post by topeverest »

Here are AFV no issues here.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (166.51 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Moscow Theater

Post by topeverest »

Next strategic goal - Smolensk and threaten north by flanking.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (269.99 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Stalino

Post by topeverest »

Here the enemy appears to be willing to give ground up to the the Dneper.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (202.62 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
ericv

Post by ericv »

I am really still baffled by your total lack of ARTILLERY UNITS. Also I am quite shocked by your total lack of ARTILLERY UNITS. Did i mention your ARTILLERY UNITS yet?

you need less Tank corps and more ARTILLERY

You need to save your trucks I think. How many Tank and Mech Corps do you have already? You only need around 30-40 to win the war.

Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

I think that artillery is under appreciated because it gives maybe 1CV, but interns of firepower especially on the offense Artillery fires first. This has the opportunity to disrupt a lot of the enemy devices before they can shoot. The stuff under the covers that ends up adjusting CV is subtle... right up to the point where a 1:1 in CV becomes adjusted to 2:1. [;)]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
ericv

Post by ericv »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

I think that artillery is under appreciated because it gives maybe 1CV, but interns of firepower especially on the offense Artillery fires first. This has the opportunity to disrupt a lot of the enemy devices before they can shoot. The stuff under the covers that ends up adjusting CV is subtle... right up to the point where a 1:1 in CV becomes adjusted to 2:1. [;)]
+1
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Thanks for the help. and the swift kick in the dirigible!

I do have a handful of artillery divisions, but they are all training and not effective yet. That is due to my noobe ways. I am behind in building / composing the final Russian army

My goal is to have three to four artillery armies worth attached to STAVKA by summer season ~30 total units.
Though I need to understand related truck consumption, so maybe a few less will be built.

current numbers -
49 armor corps - no brigades - 15 guard - 12 new corps this year
5 mech corps - no brigades - 1 guard - no new corps this year
27 cavalry corps - 15 guard - 5 new corps this year

Yes I am massaging trucks. current turn 137 (177) - improving. Will park all motorized on rail during mud.

At present I plan to play summer campaign with limited new units

ORIGINAL: ericv

I am really still baffled by your total lack of ARTILLERY UNITS. Also I am quite shocked by your total lack of ARTILLERY UNITS. Did i mention your ARTILLERY UNITS yet?

you need less Tank corps and more ARTILLERY

You need to save your trucks I think. How many Tank and Mech Corps do you have already? You only need around 30-40 to win the war.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
ericv

Post by ericv »

One thing I can recommend is to use the Airborne Corps, attached to the Fronts, be used as artillery HQ's. The penalty of using Artillery divisions under a different HQ will be diminished greatly. If the Airborne corps are no longer available, use vacant Army HQ's attached to the Front.

Attacking becomes a much more pleasurable experience that way.
ericv

Post by ericv »

With regard to units not being ready. I have been attacking ground units with 20-30 morale Tactical bombers to great effect. The same goes for these artillery units. Sometimes gaining experience can better be done the hard way I guess. probably opinions differ.
topeverest

Turn 143 March 9 1944

Post by topeverest »

Trucks 137 (177) +16 (favorable)

3 turns left before the mud season

Took some big risks this turn. Specifically, I decided to take 30 armored corps and 4 mech corps and attack in three armored thrusts; east of Stalino, Near Kharkov, and at Kaluga. Nailbiting for me to be sure, but I have to try new tactics if I am going to have a chance at getting close to Berlin.

1. wave blitz east of Stalino falls upon weakened Wehrmacht defenders. After a wave of infantry guard corps in guard armies punch a hole, armor exploits, pushing four hexes deep and wide. The force stays compact and does not delve deep into the axis rear. Aside - the last time I tried that, I got my lunch handed to me. This turns net results were great - in as much as I did what I planned and am now only 7 hexes from Dneper curve...now to wait for the counterattack. Aside - 12 axis units route in that general area during the turn.
2. Armor around Kharkov bends enemy MLR but does not breakthrough - boo
3. Russian forces achieve a big breakthrough in a lurch from Kaluga. The enemy just had no fight in them. 4 hexes wide and deep, and again the Russians stay compact in wedge formation to limit the effects of the counterattack, but as you will see below, the breakthrough astounded me, and I had insufficient breakthrough forces to fully exploit

Andy M
topeverest

Kaluga

Post by topeverest »

I was surprised by the effectiveness of the attack. If I were a bit more experienced, I probably could have exploited MUCH better.

I am most interested in seeing if the enemy withdrawals or makes a counterattack.

ASIDE - just over the last few turns the enemy has moved armor south to support the Dneper curve area.
I will watch closely to see how these panzers move, and I will attack as appropriate in the weak spots

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (356.35 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Denper Curve

Post by topeverest »

Here the enemy units were more numerous, and although I had more units, MPs were consumed making the wedge.

Aside - I counted 12 enemy units routing last turn in this area, and I overran a large airfield and 2 HQ

SO it was a good turn...now to wait for the enemy counterattack or withdrawal

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (361.44 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 144 March, 1944

Post by topeverest »

2 turns to mud

Trucks 143 / (184) +6 / -7

The red menace has the MOST successful turn of the game. If I can only repeat this glory...

1. The Stalino blitz wedge fell upon German armor and decided drive south (around the enemy armor). Finding the enemy forces of poor quality, the Reds attempt to drive all the way to the Azov but fail, due to the mass of enemy units, not their strength. 2 enemy airfields and 2 HQ were overrun. thrust comes within 4 hexes of Zhaporozhye on the lower Dnepr - driving 8 hexes into the enemy's rear. This puts more than a corps of enemy forces at risk of capture unless a quick evacuation occurs
2. The Kaluga offensive faced a half dozen enemy armor units on the southern saddle, and turned to face them, since they were in the clear. In heavy fighting, the enemy was driven south, and a huge hole in the enemy MLR again opened! DRADT! I didn't have the forces nearby to sufficiently exploit.
3. enemy has worst turn in the air in some time, almost certainly because of the airfields I overran
Andy M

Return to “After Action Reports”